Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Inflation has dropped in the UK to just 2.6%

Inflation has dropped in the UK to just 2.6%

Old Sep 22nd 2012, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inflation has dropped in the UK to just 2.6%

We can be thankful we did not join the Euro!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 1:52 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
do you think the cuts are working?
No. I'm with Steve Keen on this one - austerity during a downturn is madness and they should be focusing on private debt not public debt in the short term.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
No. I'm with Steve Keen on this one - austerity during a downturn is madness and they should be focusing on private debt not public debt in the short term.
I'm split on the austerity v. spending the way out of the downturn. There's quite a few cutbacks I'd like to see being made. Now whether those savings should be used to pay down the defecit/debt or invested in growth such as infrastucture,tax incentives etc. I'm not sure. Maybe a bit of both, if there's enough to go around.

Can you clarify who 'they' are and how they should/could be focusing on private debt? I'm assuming, and I apologise if I'm wrong, that you are thinking that government legislation should be brought in that prohibits people from borrowing more than they can afford to pay and making it illegal for companies to offer loans to such people. If that is the case I couldn't agree more. I think it was the Clinton administration who brought in legislation that allowed people who didn't have the means to be accepted for mortgages that they could never afford. ( I know personally of a single mum, three kids, on minimum wage, who was granted a $240k mortgage.) As we know, these mortgages where bought and sold by financial institutions in a Las vegas style of gambling which contributed to the current economic situation.

Should people be forced to live within their means? is it practical to even attempt to do so?

Whichever way I look at it I see a fairly substantial contraction of living standards for the average western consumer.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 7:58 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

If they are aiming for 2% and it is going down then it is in fact good.

Originally Posted by abi31
2.5% isn't that great a figure when the Bank of England is supposed to be aiming for a figure of 2% pa. And when salary increases are still not keeping up with that rate of inflation.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 8:00 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is people complain when it is 5% and still complain about it when it is half as much.
Unfortunately workers worldwide are really feeling the pinch.

I know there's not been much of a pay rise for many because of the government cuts but a few months back inflation was running above 5% so the drop to 2.5% is at least half of what it was, which is better than nothing, true it means most are losing year on year due to the gap in inflation and wages rises, the UKs working population are doing it tough at moment that's for sure.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:12 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
If they are aiming for 2% and it is going down then it is in fact good.
Or "not as bad as it was" ... It's forecast to go back up next month.

Depends what shade glasses you are wearing.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:55 am
Banned

Not really, if it has halved in recent times no matter how empty your glass is it has to be a good thing surely ?

Originally Posted by dunroving
Or "not as bad as it was" ... It's forecast to go back up next month.

Depends what shade glasses you are wearing.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 11:20 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Not really, if it has halved in recent times no matter how empty your glass is it has to be a good thing surely ?
I guess we all see what we want to see.

Being a statistician, I see the big picture, and interpret temporary "good news" in the overall context of medium- and long-term trends. I don't get too excited or taken in by one month's data going in the right direction, especially in light of the pattern of post hoc revision of past financial data that we have seen lately, and the longer-term evidence indicating this is just a one-month blip.

If no-one gets knocked down on the road outside my house today, I don't get all happy and celebrate that overall road safety must be improving.

But I applaud your eternal optimism about your rediscovered home country.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:53 pm
Banned

Im always glass half full and if inflation is heading down as it is then to me it is good news
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 5:37 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Any drop in inflation is good news indeed, it's a lt better than when it was running at over 5% that's for sure.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 5:47 pm
Banned

Exactly
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 6:05 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

I just wanted to post some good news for anyone looking into coming back to the UK, it's in today's papers also that the worst of the recession is almost over and there's hopefully going to be some growth in the near future.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 6:17 pm
Banned

I honestly see nothing to make me disagree with that, more confidence generally which is a good thing. I would fully expect things to start turning around in the near future, car sales are bouyant which is always a good indicator and they are private sales not company sales.

I just wanted to post some good news for anyone looking into coming back to the UK, it's in today's papers also that the worst of the recession is almost over and there's hopefully going to be some growth in the near future.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 6:19 pm
Banned

Unemployment has started to come down as well, I think over 100,000 less unemployed from the beginning of the year, again that's good news.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 6:47 pm
Ping-ponger

... and "UK public sector net borrowing was £14.4bn in August, official figures show, the biggest deficit on record for this month since records began." (posted on the BBC Economy page today)

Selective Web searching makes it easy to pick statistics that suit whatever perspective you want to paint.

And talking of perspectives, I'm not sure Mervyn King (who was complicit in the whole sh*tstorm that got us here in the first place) is exactly the most objective opinion - he's got nothing to lose, as he won't be in the job much longer he can say whatever he wants - although from the same interview, I note the following was also said:

a lot depended on resolving the eurozone crisis, which was hanging over the UK like a "black cloud"...

Sir Mervyn said he did not have a crystal ball, ...

"After a banking crisis one can't expect to get back to normal and I fear it will take a long time." ...

The UK economy is currently in a double-dip recession ...

... doesn't sound very optimistic to me. I'd love to believe things will get better soon, but one piece of positive data (that needs to stand the test of time - other similar data have been amended subsequently) in a sea of mostly negative news about the UK, European and global economy doesn't inspire me with confidence. I've lost more than I can probably recover from because of the same people who were saying "Things can only get better" just before the sh*t hit the fan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.