Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Inflation has dropped in the UK to just 2.6%

Inflation has dropped in the UK to just 2.6%

Old Oct 10th 2012, 5:10 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all
Default Re: Inflation has dropped in the UK to just 2.6%

Cameron said today at the Tory party conference, that the economy was far worse than they had realised and that the UK was at a crossroads, where it was, Sink' or Swim' and everyone was going to have to brace themselves for more action to tackle the huge debt.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I'm not saying the cutting of a budget hasn't been under the knive of moderates or liberals.But we can't argue with the history of past patterns.The doctrine of cutting social programs that benefit the working classes has historically been completely accepted and embraced as a political slogan of Conservatives. I don't think many moderates or liberals would put forth the idea that privatizing health care will produce a more efficient system.Most moderates would argue the opposite point of view.
?
I'm sorry but I can't agree. did you read the link?
The History of past patterns has been the Labour Government being the WORST offender in privatising.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 5:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Until politicians don't primarily come from the ranks of the privileged and get some life experience before entering politics, I can't see much difference in terms of whichever party is in power.

Most of them are toffs who are out of touch with those of us who were educated in state schools, had to work hard to get anywhere in life, and are still working hard to just own our own homes and set ourselves up for a comfortable retirement.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 5:29 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
I'm sorry but I can't agree. did you read the link?
The History of past patterns has been the Labour Government being the WORST offender in privatising.

I'm not really shocked by that TBH they are all as bad as each other, but since the Tories came to power, nearly 2 million jobs have been axed, but Cameron said over 1 million private sector jobs have been created over the same period. Good paid jobs lost, private sector lower paid jobs being created, it's the sign of the times.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 9:06 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Until politicians don't primarily come from the ranks of the privileged and get some life experience before entering politics, I can't see much difference in terms of whichever party is in power.

Most of them are toffs who are out of touch with those of us who were educated in state schools, had to work hard to get anywhere in life, and are still working hard to just own our own homes and set ourselves up for a comfortable retirement.
You hit the nail on the head.Trusting the ultra rich to look after the affairs of working people is a receipe for disaster.How on earth can a Mitt Romney know what its like to have one house and to count on that and what ever nest egg saved for our retirement years? He can't! What he can do is have access to the best spin doctors money can buy that will teach him how to pretend to understand the day to day experiences of the average man/woman.People have to take responsibility and learn more about the canidate and not wait till they watch a single debate in order to make up their mind who best to vote for. I can honestly say that America frustrates me!! And this from a person that LOVES America!
Old Oct 10th 2012, 9:08 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Cameron said today at the Tory party conference, that the economy was far worse than they had realised and that the UK was at a crossroads, where it was, Sink' or Swim' and everyone was going to have to brace themselves for more action to tackle the huge debt.
See, I think they realised it a long time ago - those with access to the books - because some of us have known for a long time that what the Government is saying and what the economy is doing seems to be two different things.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 9:10 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

+1. Look at Lloyd George's Limehouse speech. He said it about 100 years ago the last time the rich/poor gap got totally out of control. Look at his reforms and look at where he came from. It wasn't Eton. It takes a man from the bottom to do this.

1909 he said this and most applies today more than then:

http://www.liberalhistory.org.uk/ite...7&item=history

Particularly note what he says about the rich dodging tax and how they must pay up and also about their landlord scams. Also, as an aside, it's worth noting how eloquent and articulate the politicians - and by extension the people - were back then compared to today's mindless soundbites.

Last edited by Zen10; Oct 10th 2012 at 9:13 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 9:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
+1. Look at Lloyd George's Limehouse speech. He said it about 100 years ago the last time the rich/poor gap got totally out of control. Look at his reforms and look at where he came from. It wasn't Eton. It takes a man from the bottom to do this.

1909 he said this and most applies today more than then:

http://www.liberalhistory.org.uk/ite...7&item=history

Particularly note what he says about the rich dodging tax and how they must pay up and also about their landlord scams. Also, as an aside, it's worth noting how eloquent and articulate the politicians - and by extension the people - were back then compared to today's mindless sounbites.
Coincidentally he was described in a BBC2 program tonight about Wales, and the birth of the welfare system.

There have been a few cases in the news of famous toffs complaining about "toff-ism" (people speaking badly about toffs). My heart bleeds for their poor overprivileged souls. Considering the long-term demonisation of the poor and working class, I think there's a bit of catching up to do before they can really complain.

Last edited by dunroving; Oct 10th 2012 at 9:16 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 9:23 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
I'm not really shocked by that TBH they are all as bad as each other, but since the Tories came to power, nearly 2 million jobs have been axed, but Cameron said over 1 million private sector jobs have been created over the same period. Good paid jobs lost, private sector lower paid jobs being created, it's the sign of the times.
This is the same situation in America.Conservatives love to axe public sector jobs.Get rid of the mailman, the fireman, the teacher and anyone that is paid by city,state or federal government. It does not matter which country we are talking about because the basic belief is the doctrine of supporting only the private sector and forcing people to fend for themselves. It's a business model adapted to reform the structure of government.Simply put government is bad and companies are good. If you support government programs you must be a loser!!
Truth is if the UK had the same survive on your own mentality as the United States(which I hate), most Brits would see a Greece type melt down including and not limited to people pouring out into the streets rioting and protesting their government.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 9:28 pm
Banned

Coincidentally he was described in a BBC2 program tonight about Wales, and the birth of the welfare system.

There have been a few cases in the news of famous toffs complaining about "toff-ism" (people speaking badly about toffs). My heart bleeds for their poor overprivileged souls. Considering the long-term demonisation of the poor and working class, I think there's a bit of catching up to do before they can really complain.
It's funny seeing this from a new Australian perspective but there us such a divide in the classes in the UK. So neatly delineated by various accents and institutions carefully developed over 1000 years.

I feel no sympathy for the toffs - bottom line is people only start complaining seriously about toffs when the rich/poor gap gets too big, like now.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 9:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Zen10
See, I think they realised it a long time ago - those with access to the books - because some of us have known for a long time that what the Government is saying and what the economy is doing seems to be two different things.

Surely politicians wouldn't lie to us, would they?
Old Oct 11th 2012, 9:53 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
This is the same situation in America.Conservatives love to axe public sector jobs.Get rid of the mailman, the fireman, the teacher and anyone that is paid by city,state or federal government. It does not matter which country we are talking about because the basic belief is the doctrine of supporting only the private sector and forcing people to fend for themselves. It's a business model adapted to reform the structure of government.Simply put government is bad and companies are good. If you support government programs you must be a loser!!
Truth is if the UK had the same survive on your own mentality as the United States(which I hate), most Brits would see a Greece type melt down including and not limited to people pouring out into the streets rioting and protesting their government.
And exactly the same as we have been seeing in Australia, full time secure work being replaced by part time, temporary, short term etc.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 12:49 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

TO me, it seems even-handed in the UK right now.

"All the toffs are tax-dodging twits."
"All the poor are benefit-guzzling idiots."

I see both being aimed at the middle classes, who can therefore feel smug about being neither.

Group prejudice is very dangerous, because if we can see people as a homogenous group we can de-humanize them as individuals and attack at will.

Bev
Old Oct 11th 2012, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Group prejudice is very dangerous, because if we can see people as a homogenous group we can de-humanize them as individuals and attack at will.

Bev
Ah, but wouldn't we have to decide what colour uniform to wear first, and the British are so Fashion Poor and slow at decision making,don't you think?
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by chris955
And exactly the same as we have been seeing in Australia, full time secure work being replaced by part time, temporary, short term etc.
This thread is about the UK not Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.