Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Indefinite status to citizenship-should we be living together?

Wikiposts

Indefinite status to citizenship-should we be living together?

Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indefinite status to citizenship-should we be living together?

Originally Posted by citybanklondon
I think from my own reading and research a biometric card is a necessity for anyone who holds ILE/ILR and is doing the time until citizenship happens.
You have read wrong - check here on the UKBA website. Unless of course you're insisting that her ILE is transferred into a new passport, which isn't normally necessary as already mentioned.

Last edited by roaringmouse; Jun 19th 2013 at 8:50 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

citybanklondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks roaringmouse- however no one confirmed if now that the spouse has ILE that I have to necessarily live with her in order for her to make her way towards citizenship?? Is it okay for the spouse to live away in another country and work and support the non British spouse? I assume now that ILE has been acquired its really a matter between my wife and the UKBA to satisfy the conditions for naturalization in the coming 3 years??
Old Jun 20th 2013, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Is it okay for the spouse to live away in another country and work and support the non British spouse? I assume now that ILE has been acquired its really a matter between my wife and the UKBA to satisfy the conditions for naturalization in the coming 3 years??
As far as I'm aware it shouldn't be an issue when the person has indefinite leave. However, be aware that for an application of naturalisation based on marriage to a British citizen there is some evidence that needs to be provided: the passport or birth certificate of the British spouse, and the marriage certificate.

Also remember there is a requirement that based on the day a naturalisation application is received, the applicant needs to have been inside the UK on the day 3 years prior. There is also the requirement for allowable absences, and a reason needs to be given for any time outside the UK.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 5:55 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Thanks roaringmouse- however no one confirmed if now that the spouse has ILE that I have to necessarily live with her in order for her to make her way towards citizenship?? Is it okay for the spouse to live away in another country and work and support the non British spouse? I assume now that ILE has been acquired its really a matter between my wife and the UKBA to satisfy the conditions for naturalization in the coming 3 years??
I did quote UKBA about the biometric card but you did not seem to believe me!!

I said that the intention when granting the ILE was that you were both moving back together to the UK. If one wanted to pedantic one could say your spouse was not doing as she said but I doubt if anyone would check. At the time of naturalisation based on marriage to a British Citizen you should still be married and I expect the intention is that you live together. Many people have spouses who work overseas but would consider themselves based in the UK but travelling for work.