Wikiposts

Income and Tax issues

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Income and Tax issues

I'm looking for some help please ...

I'd never been one to post much about my personal life .. my opinions good or bad maybe

but I've been left in considerable amounts of crap and am having to fight for any support from someone who's grossing a $200k + expat salary and until Novemeber had contributed zero towards his 9 month old son. Grand total now stands at $1500

I wont go into the details .. to be honest they are fairly stereotypical.

I cant get hold of turbo tax quickly and if I remember rightly I woudlnt get far through running the scenario without an SSN etc etc anyway.

I'm fairly sure I remember his 2007 tax return being 180k Gross and after a max pension contribution and other deductibels a final tax bill of $18k. This was shortly after Bush changed the starting rule at the 85K exemption point. He bitched mightily about 20 grand of tax for days.

I think this year given he's now on 200k+ with all the deductions he's looking at a net of circa 170k but I cant run the calcs myself. I know his child support would have deductions on it.

Please could someone run a basic scenario for me, or point me in the direction of a link that I could do so myself. Im not finding anything suitable. The expat exemptions make all the online salary calculators I have found useless.

The basic facts are - FL registered resident, 1 dependent, no other obligations, max pension and 200k gross. I'm sure he will work out some other deductible or two but I dont have those details and am only looking for a good estimation anyway.

I hate to have to ask but I cant afford professional advice and have hit a brick wall.

Many thanks, Toots
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:56 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income and Tax issues

What exactly are you asking for? If you filed joint tax returns during those years, (I'm guessing that) you should be able to request copies or transcripts from IRS.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

We were not married, I dont have access to the paperwork and I'm now in the UK and he's in the middle east.

I have been trying to sensibly negotiate using child maintenance calculators on the web but he is refuting his net income. I know his gross but need a fairly accuarate estimation of his net to work with.

Ta.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:54 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There are several calculators online:

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/page/0,,id=14806,00.html

Just google "income tax calculator" or "withholding calculator". They might be slightly off given the expat allowance he has, but if you can produce a somewhat official document (i.e. from the IRS calculator) you throw the onus on him to disprove or counter.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:29 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Are you thinking he may have claimed a child care deduction although he didn't pay it?

$1500 over 9 months isn't much support.

I guess you're trying to do this w/o legal consultation?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 4:27 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
We were not married, I dont have access to the paperwork and I'm now in the UK and he's in the middle east.

I have been trying to sensibly negotiate using child maintenance calculators on the web but he is refuting his net income. I know his gross but need a fairly accuarate estimation of his net to work with.

Ta.
My punt would be $120K net - by the time he has paid $16k into 401k and the usual Fed tax and medicare, social security etc.

Note the word "punt" though - sorry to hear your news, good luck with chasing him.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 5:18 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, now that I'm self employed, I was told by my accountant to figure on 35 percent of gross going for taxes etc.
Since your ex is an ex pat than he does have a chunk that's non taxable. as long as he's in those out of the country guidelines.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys

I will follow the links and see what I come up with.

It's awkward because he does have 85k tax free before we start, but higher rates kick in straight away on the remainder. My guestimation of $170 was based on the 35% tax bracket with some hefty deductions. Maybe I am 10-20 out though.

Thanks for the words and messages of support too, this is no fun place to be.

Toots