Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Including spouse’s name on UK rental contract

Including spouse’s name on UK rental contract

Old Sep 16th 2022, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Katerina1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Including spouse’s name on UK rental contract

I have a question regarding rental contract.

I am a British national and my husband got his spouse visa in August and we decided that I would go to the UK three weeks before him and our daughter (also a British National) in an attempt to find rental accommodation and settle some things.

So technically I will be arriving 3 weeks before him, then he will follow with our daughter and collect his BRP within 10 days of landing in the UK.

If I find suitable rental before he arrives, I seems that I won’t be able to put his name on the contract.

Should I add him later once he arrives ? Or should I add him as someone who will be just living in the property ? Either way he will need to prove his Right to Rent. Will BRP be sufficient ? There is some conflicting information regarding UKVI Right to Rent code and how to get it.

Unfortunately I don’t know the technicalities of the rental contracts in the UK as I owned a home before my move to Asia.

Many thanks in advance !
Old Sep 16th 2022, 3:30 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Including spouse’s name on UK rental contract

Originally Posted by Katerina1
I have a question regarding rental contract.

I am a British national and my husband got his spouse visa in August and we decided that I would go to the UK three weeks before him and our daughter (also a British National) in an attempt to find rental accommodation and settle some things.

So technically I will be arriving 3 weeks before him, then he will follow with our daughter and collect his BRP within 10 days of landing in the UK.

If I find suitable rental before he arrives, I seems that I won’t be able to put his name on the contract.

Should I add him later once he arrives ? Or should I add him as someone who will be just living in the property ? Either way he will need to prove his Right to Rent. Will BRP be sufficient ? There is some conflicting information regarding UKVI Right to Rent code and how to get it.

Unfortunately I don’t know the technicalities of the rental contracts in the UK as I owned a home before my move to Asia.

Many thanks in advance !
I'd add him to the tenancy agreement once he can prove the right to rent, as it'll be a good piece of relationship and accommodation evidence when the time comes to apply for his Further Leave to Remain visa. Make sure the landlord is aware that this is your intention, we've had one or two reports of landlords refusing to have anyone else living in the property once the original tenancy agreement is signed.
Once he gets his BRP he can confirm his right to rent online https://www.gov.uk/prove-right-to-rent
Old Sep 16th 2022, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'd add him to the tenancy agreement once he can prove the right to rent, as it'll be a good piece of relationship and accommodation evidence when the time comes to apply for his Further Leave to Remain visa. Make sure the landlord is aware that this is your intention, we've had one or two reports of landlords refusing to have anyone else living in the property once the original tenancy agreement is signed.
Once he gets his BRP he can confirm his right to rent online https://www.gov.uk/prove-right-to-rent
Okay thank you very much for your answer.

Does anyone know if children’s names are also included in Rental Agreements in the UK or only adults ? Does having a child’s name in rental agreement impact school admissions ? My daughter will also be coming three weeks later than me.

Thanks !
Old Sep 16th 2022, 5:03 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katerina1
Okay thank you very much for your answer.

Does anyone know if children’s names are also included in Rental Agreements in the UK or only adults ? Does having a child’s name in rental agreement impact school admissions ? My daughter will also be coming three weeks later than me.

Thanks !
Usually only people age 18 and over are named on the tenancy agreement. There's a space in tenancy agreements that asks for the maximum number of occupants permitted to live in the property, children are included in this number. As with your plans to add your husband to the tenancy agreement later, you should also tell prospective landlords that your child will be living there too.
Sorry, not sure about your school admission question.
Old Sep 17th 2022, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Usually only people age 18 and over are named on the tenancy agreement. There's a space in tenancy agreements that asks for the maximum number of occupants permitted to live in the property, children are included in this number. As with your plans to add your husband to the tenancy agreement later, you should also tell prospective landlords that your child will be living there too.
Sorry, not sure about your school admission question.
Okay thank you very much for clarifying this for me.