Reload this Page >

Importing Motorcycle into UK

Importing Motorcycle into UK

Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Aitch42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing Motorcycle into UK

Hi there.
I am currently working in the US till August 2008 and am missing my Motorcycle sooo much. So I am thinking about taking the plunge and buying one in the US which I want to take back to the UK when my contract ends.

I have had a look through the site and can't find any clear guidance on VAT and Customs etc. If I have the bike for 6 months and have lived in the US for 12 months do I have to pay VAT and Customs?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Howard
Greenwich, Connecticut
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing Motorcycle into UK

Originally Posted by Aitch42
Hi there.
I am currently working in the US till August 2008 and am missing my Motorcycle sooo much. So I am thinking about taking the plunge and buying one in the US which I want to take back to the UK when my contract ends.

I have had a look through the site and can't find any clear guidance on VAT and Customs etc. If I have the bike for 6 months and have lived in the US for 12 months do I have to pay VAT and Customs?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Howard
Greenwich, Connecticut
Howard,

My recollection is that it is exactly that way, I believe it's exactly the same scenario as importing a car into the UK. Of course you would have to look into the testing situation, i.e. do you have to complete a SVA or an MOT?

I know that the kit car builders in the UK have to go through the SVA and they are a good source of information. Is there something like a kit bike builders or custom bike building scene in the UK?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Aitch42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Importing Motorcycle into UK

Hi - I am intending to buy a new BMW bike so it should meet the SVA standard although I will have to sort out the headlight and go through the process I understand.

It was the cost of tax into the UK that was worrying me I had heard scare stories of 30% tax when I got it back to the UK.