Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Important Au Pair/Volunteer Question!

Important Au Pair/Volunteer Question!

Old May 2nd 2011, 6:39 am
Just Joined

greenmkhh is just really nicegreenmkhh is just really nicegreenmkhh is just really nicegreenmkhh is just really nicegreenmkhh is just really nicegreenmkhh is just really nicegreenmkhh is just really nicegreenmkhh is just really nice
Default Important Au Pair/Volunteer Question!

Hello everybody,

I hope you are all having a wonderful spring. I am not sure if this will post in the correct place- so excuse me in advance...

I am a 23 yr old. Canadian-American dual citizen (as well as being a British citizen by descent).

I am wanting to have a chance to visit the UK for a volunteer type position... perhaps being an au pair would be best?

Perhaps something a Canadian citizen could easily do... maybe something commonwealth based?

I just know if I were only American it would be hard to come over or obtain a visa- and rightfully so in my humble opinion.

I would need my lodging and a modest food budget, and the money to take public transit to see various locations I have been meaning to check out on my time off.

I could not get a hold of a Consulate officer here in the states regarding what specific documents I need to submit with my UK passport application- at this point I am thinking it may just be easier to come to the UK and apply within. I do have some family in the Kent area (where my father was born and grew up) but they are much older and I do not know them very well.

Long story short, I need to organise my own way here.

I just wondered if any of you know of the easiest way to find the best volunteer or au pair situation? Any top notch agencies? Have any of you known Canadians to do any type of volunteer work?

I need to discover England/the UK for myself... in person, as a visitor before I make a decision about where I want to live next. I do like the idea of living with a family who can show me the ropes so to speak... and I have experience with taking care of children and house cleaning... nothing too technical here.

I do not have a college degree, as I attended filmmaking school here in the states after graduating high school two yrs. early. I share that info. to express how a scholar based opportunity/volunteer wise would not be an option really.

I am a bit overwhelmed, so please any helpful suggestions!

Thank yous in advance!
Old May 2nd 2011, 7:14 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Important Au Pair/Volunteer Question!

The Lady magazine has always been the place to find au pair and domestic jobs.
http://www.lady.co.uk/lady_classifie.../Domestic%20UK

When you say you could do volunteer work, do you mean you don't need to earn money?

Very sensible to check the place out.

Bev
Old May 2nd 2011, 7:42 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

If you are also British by descent, then it would make it a whole lot easier to just get the UK passport and enter the UK with that, then you are already eligible to work, you go to the Jobcentre plus and apply for your national insurance number and your all set.
Start here http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/ there are links to the border agency for making sure you are eligible. Depends on your year of birth, and whether your parents where born in UK and raised there etc.
Edited to add this is for first time UK passport apps for adults over 16 http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...rst-time-apps/ theres a link in blue with more info on what you need to send in

If you were born: After 01/01/1983 outside the UK

You must include:

* Your full foreign birth certificate; AND
* Either your mother's full UK birth certificate; OR
* Your father's UK birth certificate and the marriage certificate.
* Original long version British birth certificate
* Original British Citizen parent’s birth certificate
* Original British Citizen parent's passport
* Original parent's marriage certificate
* Original Naturalisation certificate if applicable
* Original marriage certificate if applicable
* Your previous travel document and/or photocopy of current ID (eg: driving licence, bank statement, student card, household bill); AND
* Original Deed Poll/Statutory Declaration if you have changed your name other than by marriage, together with 3 original forms of identification in your new name.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; May 2nd 2011 at 7:47 am.
Old May 2nd 2011, 8:09 am
Just Joined

greenmkhh is just really nicegreenmkhh is just really nicegreenmkhh is just really nicegreenmkhh is just really nicegreenmkhh is just really nicegreenmkhh is just really nicegreenmkhh is just really nicegreenmkhh is just really nice

Hello! Thank you for you suggestions thus far.

Well I know you are right, it would be easier to enter the UK with my UK passport already. That was my original goal, even back in Nov. 2010. What is holding me back from getting my passport is that after having called the Consulate offices here and reviewing the website more times that I can keep track of... I have not been able to find out what specific documents need to be sent along with my application. The application itself is very basic and simple.. however because I was born to a British born father here in the U.S. ... my father does not have a UK passport. He immigrated to Canada as a little boy on his mother's UK passport.

I know I can order copies of the necessary certificates but him not having a passport worries me, as I obviously cannot bring forward something that does not exist/has never been. I just don't want to have my application returned because of the incorrect documents or something. A friend of mine is in the same boat and tried calling the UK hotline and they were not able to answer questions at this time.

I suppose to, I wanted to volunteer first as I wanted the opportunity to ease my way in and see what regions interest me the most and where I belong specifically. Don't want to move over there blindly so to speak.

Thank you for the help so far.
Old May 2nd 2011, 8:25 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenmkhh
Hello! Thank you for you suggestions thus far.

Well I know you are right, it would be easier to enter the UK with my UK passport already. That was my original goal, even back in Nov. 2010. What is holding me back from getting my passport is that after having called the Consulate offices here and reviewing the website more times that I can keep track of... I have not been able to find out what specific documents need to be sent along with my application. The application itself is very basic and simple.. however because I was born to a British born father here in the U.S. ... my father does not have a UK passport. He immigrated to Canada as a little boy on his mother's UK passport.

I know I can order copies of the necessary certificates but him not having a passport worries me, as I obviously cannot bring forward something that does not exist/has never been. I just don't want to have my application returned because of the incorrect documents or something. A friend of mine is in the same boat and tried calling the UK hotline and they were not able to answer questions at this time.

I suppose to, I wanted to volunteer first as I wanted the opportunity to ease my way in and see what regions interest me the most and where I belong specifically. Don't want to move over there blindly so to speak.

Thank you for the help so far.
You don't need his UK passport to apply for one for you, you need a copy of his birth certificate. Does he have that?
And a copy of the marriage certificate for your UK Dad and US Mom.
Old May 2nd 2011, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Hello!

Well upon emailing a Consulate worker here in ATL, I was told that the passport team would need to see his mum's UK passport (the one he went to Canada on).

Without getting too personal I am not very close with these family members and so I am not so sure my grandmother will be eager to give me her passport and send it off to the UK (for one, she may wory it will not be returned to her- get lost in the mail, etc.).

I do feel it is an honor to be a British citizen and was so excited to learn of my priviledge back in the fall of 2010... but at this time due to ordering all of the certificates and not being able to get a straightforward answer, I could much easier get a visa I would assume with my Canadian citizenship.

Also to another to a previous post- I would need a paid volunteer type position.

Anyways, let me know any more thoughts or suggestions you may have. I wish I could get a hold of the Consulate officer Dean (I believe he works with the Orlando Consulate here in the U.S.). I emailed him on this site back in the fall but neve heard back.

Do you know how long the visa process is for a Canadian wanting to visit the UK? I suppose that is my next best option if I cannot have my UK passport. Plus I have heard (even if I did know for sure what documents I would need to send with my UK passport application)- wait times are long... And I am wanting to visit the UK this summer at the latest.