British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Import Car Oz to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/import-car-oz-uk-639475/)

Fejaouk Nov 7th 2009 5:55 am

Import Car Oz to UK

Hi,

Has anyone imported a car into the UK from Australia? I am looking to import my 2006 Hyundai Getz 1.6 back to the UK, as I will loose quite a bit of money selling it here in Oz and it's only going to cost £900 to send it back to the UK.

Has anyone sent a car to the UK, is it a nightmare? Any information would be much appreciated.

Fejao.

The Bloke Nov 7th 2009 6:01 am

Re: Import Car Oz to UK

Originally Posted by Fejaouk (Post 8078332)
Hi,

Has anyone imported a car into the UK from Australia? I am looking to import my 2006 Hyundai Getz 1.6 back to the UK, as I will loose quite a bit of money selling it here in Oz and it's only going to cost £900 to send it back to the UK.

Has anyone sent a car to the UK, is it a nightmare? Any information would be much appreciated.

Fejao.

Maybe you would have better luck on the Moving Back To The UK forum.....?:)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Fejaouk Nov 7th 2009 6:12 am

Originally Posted by The Bloke (Post 8078334)
Maybe you would have better luck on the Moving Back To The UK forum.....?:)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Yeh good idea, thanks pal.

ronnie98 Nov 7th 2009 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Fejaouk (Post 8078332)
Hi,

Fejao.

I imported a bike once, just had to get a mot and take it to the nearest dvla so they could inspect it then they gave me my tax and log book came in the post, they gave me a reg number there and then.:eek:

Dorothy Nov 7th 2009 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Fejaouk (Post 8078346)
Yeh good idea, thanks pal.

I've moved it to the moving back section for you.

Kathryn V Nov 8th 2009 8:58 pm

Hi

We shipped a Suzuki Swift over from WA. We bought the car new, 16 months previously.

We were always going to sell it and had been advised to do so by somebody else who shipped a car back to the UK. Then at the last minute the shipper suggested that we ship it over to the UK (they just wanted more money). It cost $3387.00. We tried to look into costs at this end and the pros and cons in the limited time we had. In the end we did ship it, but really regret it. Even though we would have lost money on it over in Oz, it took so long to get it sorted out at this end. It also cost us just over £1250.00 to get it on the road.

We would have been better off selling it over there and buying new here, as second hand cars are cheaper here anyway.

Also it is still an imported car and you can knock another £1000.00 off its value because it is an import.

My advice - DON'T DO IT :thumbdown:

Genesis Nov 9th 2009 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Kathryn V (Post 8082059)
Hi

We shipped a Suzuki Swift over from WA. We bought the car new, 16 months previously.

We were always going to sell it and had been advised to do so by somebody else who shipped a car back to the UK. Then at the last minute the shipper suggested that we ship it over to the UK (they just wanted more money). It cost $3387.00. We tried to look into costs at this end and the pros and cons in the limited time we had. In the end we did ship it, but really regret it. Even though we would have lost money on it over in Oz, it took so long to get it sorted out at this end. It also cost us just over £1250.00 to get it on the road.

We would have been better off selling it over there and buying new here, as second hand cars are cheaper here anyway.

Also it is still an imported car and you can knock another £1000.00 off its value because it is an import.

My advice - DON'T DO IT :thumbdown:

I totally and utterly agree. Take the loss in Oz and start again in the UK..you will get a huge bargain over there. Waste of money time and effort..unless its a rare or VERY special car.

Fejaouk Nov 9th 2009 10:34 am

Oh right sound like am better to sell it in Oz and cut my loses. Thanks for the information everyone.

Fejaouk x

fitz Nov 9th 2009 8:59 pm

i shipped my toyota rav4 back to the uk with me in 2007,
i put it in a forty foot container along with all my other goods.
it has to be tested in uk to make sure it conforms with e.u. standards and once it passes and you have a certificate you can register your car.
my biggest outlet was changing from km to miles,i had to buy a complete new instrument panel £900.00 F.F.S.!!!!!!!.
over all i am glad i brought it back,it would have cost me a lot more to buy a similar car back in uk.
my biggest problem has been arranging car insurance as the aussie rav4 is different from the uk models,i also had to get a certificate of authenticity for my factory fitted immobiliser.
looking back it seemed a lot of hassle, but with hindsight, i would definately do it again,in fact i am planning on moving back to oz in the next few years and i'm thinking about taking car back to oz.:eek::eek: