Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Imminent move and Coronavirus

Imminent move and Coronavirus

Old May 2nd 2020, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

blokeandbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Imminent move and Coronavirus

Arrivals quarantining changed last week. Now need to self isolate for 2 weeks. No food shopping, just straight to isolation. Food shops have no deliveries available in next 3 weeks ( Already tried them). Amazon does have a food section so will try them and see what they say for delivery. Not sure I can live on Just Eat deliveries for 2 weeks.

19 days and counting for me.

As for flying, no alcohol on flights anymore I believe and face masks mandatory. I can say from wearing one for 6 hours yesterday whilst my house was being packed up. Wearing glasses and a face mask is a challenge. Instant fog up.
Not sure about even being able to eat before flight. Maybe a college dinner of crisps and chocolate bar
Old May 2nd 2020, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Holdenapple is an unknown quantity at this point

The UK government has not mandated that arrivals from abroad have to quarantine for two weeks. There was talk of this in the papers last week but it has not materialized as of yet. Something may be introduced in the future but as of now you do not have to quarantine, just follow the rules that stipulate you must stay home unless to buy food or exercise once a day or have a medical issue.
Old May 2nd 2020, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Well that is scary! For me my company has mandated it, and to get tested before going to work. Will be strange being so close to pubs again, and not being able to pop in after work for a cheeky pint.
Old May 2nd 2020, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Holdenapple is an unknown quantity at this point

Your company can't force you to stay at home 24/7. The government allows you to go out and food shop so you can at least do that.
It will be a great day when the puns open again
Old May 3rd 2020, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blokeandbird
Well that is scary! For me my company has mandated it, and to get tested before going to work. Will be strange being so close to pubs again, and not being able to pop in after work for a cheeky pint.
How are you going to get tested? The only people being tested are those admitted to hospital, in care homes and a few other groups.

Also, as well as going to the shop, you can go out for a daily exercise
Old May 3rd 2020, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as \I can see after you arrive at a UK Airport you just head off to public transport and disappear.

in more civilised countries you have to register on arrival; and go straight home
. Then stay indoors for 2 weeks.
Old May 5th 2020, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

I have to go to work as deemed essential. As such you can be tested. My plant manager already has been.

So port news from our side. Moving company is loading containers next week, so they either know ports are opening, or hoping they will.
Old May 6th 2020, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blokeandbird
I have to go to work as deemed essential. As such you can be tested. My plant manager already has been.

So port news from our side. Moving company is loading containers next week, so they either know ports are opening, or hoping they will.
Esential workers can only be tested if symptomatic https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...g-england-only
Old May 9th 2020, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Oh, Okay well there goes that plan then, thanks for the head up, saved me wasting time.

ON a side note, those looking to use Air Canada to fly back they have a great deal (was greater) on aeroplan miles to buy. 65% free, it was 110%. I just topped our miles up, and with that and taxes the flights costing us 750CAD each......business class.

Worth looking into. Better if you are flying post pandemic. I dont think they are serving alcohol or the regular business class food (flown several times in this class with work, or free upgrades due to my aeroplan status.)