Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Imminent move and Coronavirus

Imminent move and Coronavirus

Old Apr 26th 2020, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

blokeandbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Imminent move and Coronavirus

Is anybody about to imminently move back to the UK?
I am meant to start my new job June 1st.

Just wondering if anybody has just gone through it or about to?
We wanted to buy a house, that stopped when house sales were stopped. Currently trying to rent on line, and find a place to buy a car that delivers them.

I will post our experiences, troubles and solutions when we move.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 1:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Imminent move and Coronavirus

Originally Posted by blokeandbird
Is anybody about to imminently move back to the UK?
I am meant to start my new job June 1st.

Just wondering if anybody has just gone through it or about to?
We wanted to buy a house, that stopped when house sales were stopped. Currently trying to rent on line, and find a place to buy a car that delivers them.

I will post our experiences, troubles and solutions when we move.
I wish you luck
My move back (from Australia) has had to be permanently cancelled, and all the plans that my UK based family had for a move to their dream home in the countryside is also looking in doubt, they were only days from signing all the paperwork in a chain involving about 6 families when the housing market was shut down.
Not a good time to be moving so I wish you all the luck in the world.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

EdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond repute

We are moving back at the end of May. Currently closing on our house May 18th in the UK. Wifes spouse visa on hold as VFS Global is closed, just to add to the fun we are moving with a big dog as well. Certainly going to be interesting.
Old Apr 27th 2020, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Holdenapple is an unknown quantity at this point

We were supposed to be moving in May. My wife's vignette is valid from 1st May to 30th May. We have now rented a house from July. Just trying to get some guidance from the home office on if vignettes will be extended automatically so she does not have to reapply when VFS reopen.

Alternatively she may just go in May to collect her BPR Card and then fly back the same day so we have it for July.

Good luck everyone
Old Apr 27th 2020, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

djam is an unknown quantity at this point

Just heard today that a return to the UK is on for me and my family. We've been away for the last seven years. Not sure how our timeline will look but we haven't even started the process yet.
Old Apr 27th 2020, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Update from my side. Got confirmed by company today I can travel.

Timeline is our house closes here 4th May
Fly out May 21st for 2 weeks isolation.
Only BA is currently flying dogs, and AirCanada there are talks they may suspend flights or reduce even more as they are so empty.

Now trying to rent a place in UK without seeing it. We should all have some fun stories after this.
Oh for those flying. You need a face mask to enter the airport and at least on AirCanada flights. They are doing disinfectant clean after each flight now.
Old Apr 28th 2020, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

EdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond reputeEdandPaula has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck to you. Wife (US citizen) and I ( US/ UK) close on our house in the UK May 15th, sold our US house, that closes on the 25th May. Currently with VFS visa centers being closed we are just gonna fly to UK and wait till they reopen in the US and then fly back so she can get her biometrics done and get her visa so we can return back to the UK again. This virus has really messed things up. We are hoping to fly out on May 21st with our dog, on BA to Heathrow. Good to know about the face masks, we were planning on wearing them anyway.
Old Apr 29th 2020, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

EdandPaula, looks like we are flying the same day. I thought all international flights were cancelled from the US?

Update from our side. I had rented a hotel suite to isolate in (had to call to explain our situation as they are closed to non essential workers.

Today managed to secure us a house to rent from the day we land, and purchasing a 2 year old car that will be delivered to our house.

Now just need to figure out food for 2 weeks. Checked delivery all spots are full.

Oh note to all shipping house goods. Had a call from my shipper (house being packed Friday), that they are not even shipping at the moment as UK ports are closed. Not sure how they are getting supplies into the country.
Old Apr 29th 2020, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thankfully at this time bot all flights are cancelled, we are flying out of Washington DC ( Dulles) on BA, they are just doing 1 flight per day now. When we arrive in Heathrow we have to kennel our dog for the first day, while we grab some sleep at an airport hotel, next day rental car, pick up dog and drive to Glasgow...fun drive. Once we get to Glasgow since we will be in a hotel for the first few nights our dog once again goes to a kennel, thankfully that kennel is all sorted out. We close on our house on the 25th May, then have a bed we bought delivered, thankfully they are still delivering. As for food the area we are moving to, 45 west of Glasgow, has good delivery options. Our shipper JK Moving says we are all good to ship, shipment should arrive in UK towards end of June, then clear customs etc and a week after arrival will be delivered to our house. The we wait till VFS Global opens back up in the US and my wife's biometric appointment is scheduled, fly back to US for 10 days or so and get her spouse visa. Crazy times thanks to Covid-19.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

fastrhino will become famous soon enough

great thread, I was going to fly back this Sunday from Perth WA, but I have put it on hold until the lockdown restrictions in the UK are relaxed.

Qantas will not be operating flights at this stage until June but this is not set in stone either.

Kent removals are still operating but I am only shipping my personal possessions and a motorcycle but given the situation they are advising this could take 12 weeks with the slow down in volume.

I doubt it will be normal resumption of services until 2021 so I guess the decision is stay here and tough it out until things change in the UK or bite the bullet and go back anyway.

Either way everyone is going to be in for a bumpy ride after post lockdown, what ever that looks like, "the new normal" as the media keep telling us.

Old Apr 30th 2020, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

EdandPaula, you get 24 hours boarding as part of your dog clearing customs and being checked over. We are being told customs part for pets is around 2-3 hours. So may want to keep that in mind.

Interesting two people are being told delivery time, and I am being told UK ports are shut so they wont ship until open.
Old May 1st 2020, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

I haven't seen anything on the UK gov pages saying the ports are closed, JK Moving says they are open as of this AM.
Old May 1st 2020, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

UK airports are all open. Nor is there any requirement for arrivals to quarantine and there are commercial flights operating from most countries including Australia. Sea ports are operating as normal.
Old May 2nd 2020, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

zdenka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by verystormy
UK airports are all open. Nor is there any requirement for arrivals to quarantine and there are commercial flights operating from most countries including Australia. Sea ports are operating as normal.
Wow is that right? I wouldn't have expected that. My trip in June got cancelled (not the permanent move, that is happening next year) because my school is closed.

I hope this means things will be back to "normal" soon and we can go back to worrying about Brexit and the weather.
Old May 2nd 2020, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zdenka
Wow is that right? I wouldn't have expected that. My trip in June got cancelled (not the permanent move, that is happening next year) because my school is closed.

I hope this means things will be back to "normal" soon and we can go back to worrying about Brexit and the weather.
Heathrow has closed a couple of terminals as there isn’t demand and things like the shops and bars are all closed in the terminals. But, yes, there are flights still operating. Not many, but there are flights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.