British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Immigration lawyer. EXPAT with US wife. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/immigration-lawyer-expat-us-wife-922113/)

DEEJAE Feb 16th 2019 6:38 am

Immigration lawyer. EXPAT with US wife.

I am looking for advice from anyone who has recently used a lawyer for immigration that they can recommend and the approx cost. We live in the US, I have dual nationality and my wife is a US citizen. We have been married for 4 years. We are probably going to come back using the "lump sum in bank method" until we can sit out nursing board exams again, which believe me is best done whilst living there. Our intention is then to nurse with the NHS.

spouse of scouse Feb 16th 2019 10:17 am

Re: Immigration lawyer. EXPAT with US wife.

Originally Posted by DEEJAE (Post 12637880)
I am looking for advice from anyone who has recently used a lawyer for immigration that they can recommend and the approx cost. We live in the US, I have dual nationality and my wife is a US citizen. We have been married for 4 years. We are probably going to come back using the "lump sum in bank method" until we can sit out nursing board exams again, which believe me is best done whilst living there. Our intention is then to nurse with the NHS.

It's up to you of course, but if you and your wife don't have an adverse immigration history then there's no reason you can't do the application yourselves - most of us here have done it ourselves. Applying using cash savings to meet the financial requirement is by far the easiest method, and there's always good help available on the BE UK Immigration sub-forum.

Sammy2018 Feb 16th 2019 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by DEEJAE (Post 12637880)

Having paid for immigration worker I can honestly say , save your money. We did not about all the different forums until after we had paid them.

This forum can help you get what you need to apply. Many have gone through the process and some like my hubby are still waiting for a decision.
We also went the savings route
Married 27 years
I am also a nurse .. Also was a nurse in the UK trained as an SRN many moons ago.

Good luck ...

Vadio Feb 17th 2019 5:49 pm

If you haven't discovered the UK-Yankee forum, check it out. There's good advice here, but sometimes it's easier if a question thread is specific to the country your wife will be applying from - the US in this case. And I concur - unless you have issues, no need for an immigration lawyer. You will still need to assemble all the require documents, and likely fill out the forms yourself. Plus, some of them know less than people on this and the UK-Yankee forum.

good luck!