Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I'm ready to go back home after 19 years away

Wikiposts

I'm ready to go back home after 19 years away

Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm ready to go back home after 19 years away

Originally Posted by Clangers
Will do - luckily I have a friend that is an attorney, so I'll make sure we get the right papers written up.

Thanks for your advice everyone!
Good luck. I hope it all works out for you.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Curiousred is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Clangers
luckily he does agree. I recently asked him, and he wanted more details and I said I didn't have any, as I wanted to have his permission before making plans. He said "well I guess I don't have any problems".

Phew!!

So now I'm finding the right school for my son - which I'm amazed you have to register at least a year in advance!
Can I ask you how you are going about finding schools when you do not live there yet. I am in the same boat and am moving back to UK after 13 years in NY. my son will need to go to school in Sept 09 but we are not moving back until next summer. I don't even know where to start. do you have nay advice? thanks and good luck to youtoo
Old Oct 25th 2008, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Clangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud of

Thanks for the vote of confidence Donna....yes, my son just told me (a post I just submitted today),that he doesn't want to go... I'm not going to let it sway me, but I want him to be happy there, so I'm trying to think of all the positive things that can happen for him when we return.

Yes, I also had rotten problems with him in school, and finally though he is maturing and behaviourily doing so much better, and he's got a few good buddies now too.

I'm glad your son ha settled in well.
Thanks,
Originally Posted by Donna Allan
Hi Deborah
We came over from South Africa to Northern Ireland nearly 6 months ago and one of the main reasons was for the schooling. My son was labeled as ADD in SA and they wanted me to medicate him which I was no willing to do. If there was any trouble at school, Matthew was the first one pulled by the teachers which I think was totally unfair. Every year he moved up a grade the old teacher would pass on her info to the new teacher and I can only imagine that it wasn't good so they were always on the look out for him. He is certainly NOT a bad kid. He started high school at the beginning of Sept and I must say that I am quite surprised at how well he has settled in. He actually does his homework now without me having to blow my top. The only teasing he gets is his accent and where he came from. The schools over here are totally against bullying and are have many policies in place to curve it. I'm sure you son will be just fine.
Donna
Old Oct 25th 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Clangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud of

Hi there
Luckily I have my parents helping, and I used the website to research the schools using the oftsted reports, which tell you how the schools are doing academically. However, you of course have to be in the same catchment area to go to the school of your choice, and even though I'll be starting out at my parents home, although I'd like to find my own place really fast, but can't until I find a job to pay the rent. So find out where you'd like to live, and then research the schools in that area, you'll find their prospectus online, and they normally have a list of what streets, towns are in their catchment area.
The only thing is though, you need to start enquiries about admission now, as I think they start accepting applications soon, not like in the US.

Good luck!
Originally Posted by Curiousred
Can I ask you how you are going about finding schools when you do not live there yet. I am in the same boat and am moving back to UK after 13 years in NY. my son will need to go to school in Sept 09 but we are not moving back until next summer. I don't even know where to start. do you have nay advice? thanks and good luck to youtoo
Old Oct 25th 2008, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

I'm hoping so too...
I'm looking into some clubs or youth groups that he can get involved with too.

Thanks,
Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Good luck with the move, nice time to move as he'll be going into highschool and they'll be lots of new kids coming from all different schools coming together.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

I realize all that, and thanks, am getting that done in the next few weeks, before making set plans....

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I hope he sticks to his word...but I think I would obtain his permission through the appropriate legal channels before I made any further plans. You will have to do this legally anyway.