Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I'm moving back in a few weeks!

I'm moving back in a few weeks!

Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all
Default I'm moving back in a few weeks!

Forgive me BritishExpats for it has been a while since my last post.

I'm in LA and have just handed in my notice (going back to UK to freelance in London adland) and we are now facing moving ourselves (myself, wife and two kids.. 6 and 1) back to Herts, UK.

My questions! Thanks in advance for any info you can offer:

- any recommendations of international movers in California?
- what's the process of getting income support when I'm in between jobs? (as in money for transport to interviews, weeks when I don't have freelance coming in)
- what are people's favorite rental sites? (for fear of my parents breaking down after more than 4 weeks of my kids
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:50 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm moving back in a few weeks!

Originally Posted by wombatboy
Forgive me BritishExpats for it has been a while since my last post.

I'm in LA and have just handed in my notice (going back to UK to freelance in London adland) and we are now facing moving ourselves (myself, wife and two kids.. 6 and 1) back to Herts, UK.

My questions! Thanks in advance for any info you can offer:

- any recommendations of international movers in California?
- what's the process of getting income support when I'm in between jobs? (as in money for transport to interviews, weeks when I don't have freelance coming in)
- what are people's favorite rental sites? (for fear of my parents breaking down after more than 4 weeks of my kids
Hi wombatboy,

Can't help with removals but rules for income support are here - https://www.gov.uk/income-support

I'm not sure on where you stand when you first arrive back - you may have to prove that you are now permanently resident again (habitual residence test?)

Websites to look for rentals would include rightmove, zoopla and maybe primelocation
Old Feb 12th 2014, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

New laws won't allow you to claim income support when you move back. You now have to be resident for 3 months before you can get it. Get yourself to the job centre plus when you get back and sign on as a job seeker. They will then give you all the information about benefits and how to get them once you become eligible.

Try Rainer for moving. They have agents all over the US and are very reasonable. I just booked them for my move from Boston to the Uk in May.

As for rentals right move is good. I also find that the website for your local newspaper is also a great option. They have rental properties through agencies and through private landlords.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all

awesome, thanks for the reply to both of you.

I will register with job centre plus for sure.

I have heard a few people mentioning rightmove for rentals, cool. Also local papers is a great idea.

Will get a quote off Rainer.

Thanks so much!

On top of this we have to get a visa / passport for our son who was born over here! (that makes two aussies, one yank and one brit in the family)
Old Feb 12th 2014, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh, it turns out I would apply for Jobseeker’s Allowance, not income support.

and I definitely fall under the "a UK national who has recently returned from abroad and you haven’t worked since coming back to the UK"
Old Feb 12th 2014, 12:47 pm
Nyz
Forum Regular

Nyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we moved back in 2011 and we used Schumachers for the removals. I've recommended them on here before and will do so again. They were very good and they weren't the most expensive. Think we dealt with Greg Speed.

Good luck!
Old Feb 12th 2014, 2:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We moved back last summer and used Rainier from Northern California, they were great. Fast at answering emails and keeping me informed.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Whatever you do, do not use Allied! I moved back in September from CA and some of my shipment went missing. 1 piece is still missing and the rest was included in another customer's shipment and went to Scotland!

If you decide to rent without having a job you may well be asked to provide 6 months rent in advance plus the deposit. I'd try and stick it out with your parents for as long as possible until you have a regular income coming in.

Will your wife need a visa?
Old Feb 12th 2014, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Think hard about what you decide to ship back. Both myself and husband have realised in the 7+ months since being back, that we wished we'd not spent the $10k in bringing our sofas, dining tables and all the other big stuff.
We probably could have bought brand new here and spent the same amount.

The American furniture, although good(ish) quality, just looks out of date and a bit sad here in our UK house.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 11:36 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombatboy
On top of this we have to get a visa / passport for our son who was born over here! (that makes two aussies, one yank and one brit in the family)
If your son is British he won't need a visa, but how about the other members of your family? Any family member not British or of EU citizenship could need a visa in order to move back with you.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spouse_Immigration-UK
Old Feb 14th 2014, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck - was in CA and now in Ware!
Rental market is very active here. Not so sure about other parts of Herts.

We used Allied and they were OK. Mayflower was the local agent.

If can help with local stuff if you're headed for Ware/Herts/Broxbourne let me know :-)
Old Feb 15th 2014, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey mayhemuk, how's the weather? (Don't answer that)
Rental market active means not too expensive i hope
Thanks for movers advice. I am curious what i do about tax when i move back?
And national health insurance?
Thanks

And WEBlue my wife needs a visa so we have to get two birth certificates for me to send off for wife and son.

My daughter has dual citizenship and a passport
Old Feb 16th 2014, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Weather has been OK relative to the rest of the country.
Have had wind and rain but not the flooding and damage seen elsewhere.
Even my train journey was unaffected the last week.
As a write the trees are still and bathed in sunshine!
Old Feb 16th 2014, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

If the visa has the fasttrack option take it. We didn't and at the time it would have been $100 well spent to take the hassle and wait out of the equation.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
If the visa has the fasttrack option take it. We didn't and at the time it would have been $100 well spent to take the hassle and wait out of the equation.
Sorry for my late reply. DO you mean a fasttrack option with a visa processing center? Or as in the actual embassy offers that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.