Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I'm making firm plans now! Many Q's. Can you answer?

I'm making firm plans now! Many Q's. Can you answer?

Old Jan 21st 2019, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm making firm plans now! Many Q's. Can you answer?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Only the airline/crate questions, everything else is location dependent tbh. Have you narrowed it down to a country or are you considering all of the UK?
England or Scotland
Old Jan 21st 2019, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
In case there’s any doubt, Brexit will have zero effect on an Irish citizen’s rights in the UK. The Common Travel Area predates the Treaty of Rome by several decades and Irish citizens’ rights are superior to EEA citizens in the UK. The only exception would be bringing in a non-EEA family member under EEA freedom of movement rules post-Brexit. Since the OP is single this will not affect her.
Thanks! I knew you'd know the answer!
Old Jan 21st 2019, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm sure we've gone over all this before, but.......

Highly unlikely that someone will rent to you before you are even in the country. They will need proof of your ability to live legally in the UK for a start.

Pointless choosing a provider without knowing what area you are likely to be living in. Some have better coverage than others. For instance, no point signing up with EE and then ending up in an area with only O2 and vodafone coverage.

Almost any small town or large village,though I can't speak for the rental cost.

Once you know where you are living, visit a bank with a local branch. If you pick a small town/large village you will be limited as to what banks are there;

If you own a tv receiver you need a licence. Then you get a few channels for free - if you are in an area with good reception

Varies from council to council, again you need to arrow it down.

Plenty of them nationwide, settle on a rough area and you will get a better response.

As you can see, its really impossible to answer most queries without you even knowing whether you want England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. So much in the UK is dependent on which council, which town, which county. The diversity of the UK is amazing and thats why you've always been advised to visit first and get a rough idea of where suits you
Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it.

I know that people can rent from another country. It's done all the time. As far as proof, I have it.

I know some people think I should visit first. I respect your opinion but I won't be doing that. I'm just moving and happy to be doing it this way.

Last edited by Downton Gabby; Jan 21st 2019 at 11:44 pm. Reason: Addition
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 5:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it.

I know that people can rent from another country. It's done all the time. As far as proof, I have it.

I know some people think I should visit first. I respect your opinion but I won't be doing that. I'm just moving and happy to be doing it this way.
Some agents/landlords ,ay allow you to rent unseen, others may not. My thinking is that you say you want to settle at once and not move around, yet you are willing to rent unseen. You must realise that until you visit a village, town, area etc you can really have no idea what its like, and whether it is anything like somewhere you wat to settle for the foreseeable future.
I appreciate the decision is yours,but with the huge diversity of the UK if you have no prior personal knowledge of an area its a bit of a isk taking out a long term lease on somewhere.
When I come home I have a pretty good idea of the areas which would suit me, weatherwise, public transport, the amenities I want etc - but then I have 40 years of experience living in the UK already.

Hope you fnd somewhere
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 6:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

England or Scotland
OK, still too tricky to answer your questions then unfortunately. If you're planning on moving in two months time then I guess your first job is to narrow things down and work out where you want to be (the only thing I would say is that your budget won't get you what you want in most of the south of England). You'll need to get cracking if you want to rent somewhere in advance, places will be going already for the spring - I have friends moving abroad in July that have already rented their house out and they had people queuing up.

Once you've sorted out your rental and got an area, we can help you with the questions about phone calls, things for over 65's, etc, etc.

Good luck.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you really rent something from abroad, without having at least arranged for a friend or family member to go and inspect the property in person first?
Even if it's possible, it's probably not advisable. Some of these rental properties are in a right state. My Mum's friend recently moved into a rental flat just outside Edinburgh in a supposedly nice area (near Cramond). We went to visit her after Christmas and were horrified at how dingy it was. I imagine on paper, it sounded fine - "good" area, etc. But the reality was dog's dirt on the grass, broken appliances, temperamental radiators and just a general, very depressing, scruffiness.
You'd be far better booking a dog-friendly Airbnb property for a couple of months, so you can look around yourself once you get to the UK.

Also, since you're an Irish national, why not Ireland? Or Northern Ireland?
You could probably get a bungalow for your budget in somewhere like Bangor, just down the coast from Belfast. Plenty going on, and LOTS of dog owners attracted by the coastal walks. You could do worse.
Bangor West is probably best if you're not going to have your own car because there's a rail link there which will get you into Belfast in about 30 minutes.
An even better option in my opinion is Holywood - a bustling little town on the coast, between Bangor and Belfast. Lots of little independent shops and cafes. But it's more expensive than Bangor and there are very few bungalows available for sale or rent within easy walking distance of the main street (and railway station). Any bungalows would probably be up in the hills behind the town so you would definitely need a car.
In fact, anywhere along the coast between Belfast and Bangor would probably suit you. Loads of people to chat to, out walking their dogs..
For GPs, dentists, etc., the best places would be Bangor or Holywood. Otherwise, you'll have to travel into Belfast, as many people do.

Old Jan 22nd 2019, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an example of a bungalow for rent in Bangor.
https://www.propertypal.com/214-old-...-bangor/457378
It looks from the photo like it's in the middle of the countryside but actually, there's a big Tesco supermarket just down the road and a doctor's surgery also within walking distance.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 8:34 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

From a practical point of view any landlord would need you to sign a tenancy agreement and view your right to rent documents, in this case your Irish passport, before you could move in. You’d also need a UK bank account to pay rent and you’ll struggle to pass a credit check if you have no history in the UK. A three to six month Airbnb would be a much better bet to allow you to establish yourself in an area, see if you like it and then find a property in person at your leisure.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Last year we rented for 6 months in Musselburgh. We were in Arizona when I arranged the rental. The agency insisted on someone visiting the flat beforehand. My sister-in-law’s mum visited the flat for us. In addition to paying 6-month rent upfront they wanted proof of income as well.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, there are several questions that have nothing to do specifically with a location that anyone who's willing could possibly answer.

I wonder why you feel it's necessary to be so snippy. if you can't or don't want to answer my questions why don't you just move on instead of saying something nasty?

Wasn't nasty at all.

To give a detailed answer requires detailed input.

Otherwise advice is general and not specific.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

In the previous thread but one that you opened in July 2017, you had over a period of time by then narrowed down your search to Scotland and in Scotland the area around Glasgow, see this:

Comparisons between Scotland and England

Within Scotland, Glasgow might be considered to have a milder climate, though it is far wetter on the West Scottish coast and around the Clyde than further east towards Edinburgh.

At the very least Scotland gives you the Celtic feel and Celtic Music you seek. The Glasgow area gives you good access without the initial need for a car. There is plenty of open country close in to Glasgow for doggie activities. Note that you need a property rental market which is receptive to pets and in particular dogs. Landlords are reluctant to rent to pet owners and typically ask for a larger damage deposit.

This from previous, last January:

Add to all this the fact that I don't know where I should look to live that's affordable, pretty, has good transportation (until I buy a car), veterinarians, good medical care, lots of cultural activities, concerts not big city, not rural.

Moving to another country, as I get closer to the time I had planned to move, is really scary.

I am so unhappy with so much in my own country-politically, weather-wise, safety concerns, not to mention a big one where I live...roaming COYOTES that are attacking and killing small dogs. It's a serious problem! They are literally right here in front of my home, even in the middle of the day. I am terrified of them and must go out with my dog on a short leash with below zero temps, holding a flashlight to scan for them.

I see the UK as a place with so much to offer for me - milder weather, no coyotes, blizzards, tornados, guns, just a nicer way of life. The NHS has been something I looked forward to, but there are so many stories of an overburdened system, waiting lists, etc.

Affordable - tick, Pretty - tick. Could be blizzards but definitely no coyotes or equivalent but dog-owners have a responsibility to keep their dogs under control. The country-politically bit has many of us booked to leave the UK - could use some USA checks and balances.

You should be able to google for indicators of doctor's surgery waiting lists by area and sub-area - however, for example, we have huge variations of patient lists in our Weymouth area, by postcode, so that one can have an almost immediate appointment or have to wait a week, depending upon surgery. Local online newspapers pick up on these details so check the Glasgow area, for instance.

I don't recall exactly why it was that the search area became Scotland but I get a sense that as with other posters on here looking to set-up in the UK a couple of years back, with Scotland voting to remain in the EU, there was some sort of indicator there that perhaps Scotland had not yet completely lost its sanity and was more welcoming to strangers.

However, there are plenty of other English areas of merit where you can encounter FOLK, such as West of Cornwall plus Wadebridge area. It's doggie country, mild and less wet on the west side of the moorlands.

Places of merit - Wadebridge, Truro, Falmouth, St Ives, Fowey/Polruan, Newlyn/Mousehole

Where we are has all that you need, except genuine folk and culture. Bridport is better, in Dorset BUT you have to travel by bus before you get the car. Same thing with Lyme Regis.

NB - age 65 gives winter fuel allowance - 200 pounds, plus you get free bus pass.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jan 27th 2019 at 9:41 am. Reason: Cornish add-on etc.