Wikiposts

I'm I being brain washed?

Old Aug 9th 2006, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

karaokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of light
Default I'm I being brain washed?

Has any one else notice how often they say Australia, Australians or OZZIES. honestly I sit down to watch TV I must here it 20 or 30 times a day. Same in the shopping centres - australian made etc. We have had foxtel for about 10 months now and even on that nearly everyother programme mentions Australia or kylie minogue, I'm sure they only pick those programs to air because they mention australia or some connection. Even with the commonwealth games I did't watch it, but all I heard was the australian anethem, I questioned my husband, it there anyone else in the games? - its too much!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:52 pm
A mile High

Location: Noosa, soon to be the US of A (for a little while anyway)
rebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I'm I being brain washed?

Originally Posted by karaokeM
Has any one else notice how often they say Australia, Australians or OZZIES. honestly I sit down to watch TV I must here it 20 or 30 times a day. Same in the shopping centres - australian made etc. We have had foxtel for about 10 months now and even on that nearly everyother programme mentions Australia or kylie minogue, I'm sure they only pick those programs to air because they mention australia or some connection. Even with the commonwealth games I did't watch it, but all I heard was the australian anethem, I questioned my husband, it there anyone else in the games? - its too much!
Because Aussies are proud of who they are and where they come from..dead simple
and the Australian anthem was played a lot at the Commonwealth games because they won a sh*tload of gold medals
if the tv bothers you so much, why watch it ??????
Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

think they need to be proud of themselves as no-one else are!!! it's a big acheivment for them to do anything so they just have to keep reminding themselves by mentioning it again and again...someone said to me not long ago "what do OZZies actually do for the world" erm?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

America is the same, you will hear news segments constantly refer to 'we Americans' all the time. Maybe they are afraid everyone would forget otherwise.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
America is the same, you will hear news segments constantly refer to 'we Americans' all the time. Maybe they are afraid everyone would forget otherwise.
I was just going to say the same thing, but you beat me to it LOL
Old Aug 9th 2006, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

karaokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rebabaros
Because Aussies are proud of who they are and where they come from..dead simple
and the Australian anthem was played a lot at the Commonwealth games because they won a sh*tload of gold medals
if the tv bothers you so much, why watch it ??????
Mostly cos there's nothing much else to do!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

They do it so much, I think the reasoning and rationale has long been forgotten.

It's just a convention, a habit if you like. Do we need to say Australian. Yeah might as well. Also a lot of books and magazines with the name have been adapted for the local market from a Pommy original so it makes sense. eg Australian Women's Weekly.

Remember the British press will talk about 'Britons stuck or killed somewhere', but not in the same scale.

Not worth worrying about.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:00 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Rather similar to the US where a Brit show like "pop idol" becomes "American Idol". Not sure whether this is just a cultural norm or whether it shows a mixture of a lack of humility and lack of confidence.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 2:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a kind of lack of confidence - they want to convince themselves they are great. Its not just TV, its "buy XX - proudly Australian" "Drive this - Australian built" "stay here- Australian owned" really annoys me at work, a dept with loads of nationalities in it, yet every time the execs make a speech its "I'd like to thank all you Australians" Don't the rest of count?
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Totally agree it's a inferiority complex they have!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:56 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Even with the commonwealth games I did't watch it, but all I heard was the australian anethem, I questioned my husband, it there anyone else in the games? - its too much!
Funnily enough, watching the Commonwealth Games here in the Uk - the only anthem I ever heard was God Save the Queen.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
think they need to be proud of themselves as no-one else are!!! it's a big acheivment for them to do anything so they just have to keep reminding themselves by mentioning it again and again...someone said to me not long ago "what do OZZies actually do for the world" erm?
I get so tired of reading all this Aussie bashing. If you want to know what Aussies have done for the World do a search for Aussie inventions! Australians don't have an inferiority complex they just don't give a sh*t what anyoneelse thinks of them. They are proud of who they are. I have read so many posts from English people on these forms who think that England is the only country that does things the right way and is the only country that has contributed to the World and then have the audacity to miscall Australians for being patriotic. It is my opinion that it is the English who have the inferiority complex.
When you live in a country you would expect to hear news etc pertaining to that country.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:54 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ladylisa
and american "world news" .... iraq, israel, maybe canada at a push....
Old Aug 11th 2006, 11:22 am
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

You are 100% right, Aussies will never use the term people when Australians will do, shows a lack of confidence more than anything else.

Very insular country OZ, little of the outside world ever gets reported on or discussed by the Population in general, except when some Aussie sportsman/woman wins something "overseas".

In a way the proudly Aussie made tags do the poms a favour, as it clearly marks the overpriced crap that should be given a wide berth.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

Originally Posted by eatstatic
You are 100% right, Aussies will never use the term people when Australians will do, shows a lack of confidence more than anything else.

Very insular country OZ, little of the outside world ever gets reported on or discussed by the Population in general, except when some Aussie sportsman/woman wins something "overseas".

In a way the proudly Aussie made tags do the poms a favour, as it clearly marks the overpriced crap that should be given a wide berth.
Australia is a love affair for some people................and has a big identity problem that is for sure, so the country is doing something about it.

But you are being brainwashed indeed, as they will tell you everywhere else is crap, you belong here, they will adopt anything aslong as it brings visibility to the little big island.

I mean , Kylie, she was vilified when she was in neighbours and started her pop career- soon as she made it big time- whoa- it turned to "OUR KYLIE"

That princess skank from Tasmania- An Aussie endorsing "A TASMANIAN" again "OUR MARY"

Shayne Warne is innocent- its all the "British Slappers" aagain "OUR SHAYNE"

Winter Olympic Games- It was a canadian- who won that gold, as canada said no way to him studying and being an olympian.....

Most of the soccer team are foriegners- and if it be known half of them if they were good and spotted by their nation, most probably wouldnt play for Australia-

once you have committed to alife of beaches and sunshine, and your pockets have been raped by the government, and all the usual suspects who live there, the only way of getting out is like they did 200 years ago as the flights are a rip off out of there.

How dare I say anything like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.