I'm HOME!!!

Old Dec 26th 2005, 6:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm HOME!!!

The idea of going home in style has captured my imagination ever since Calle shared her discovery of the QM2. The fact that it is supposedly not much different (cost-wise) from flying makes it sound like a no-brainer, especially when you think how much you save on a week's food bills!

However, I'm assuming the same isn't true (re: cost) if you are traveling alone ... maybe I can persuade my bro and his wife to fly over and sail back with me. But then the cost of them flying here probably wouldn't make it worthwhile.

Still, I think I'll look into it (hopefully traveling next summer!)
Old Dec 27th 2005, 9:39 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
We got quite excited about it yesterday but then we read in a few places that Cunard were getting rid of the kennels on the QM2 in November, you travelled in November didn't you? Did they mention that at all?

I better get on and train the cats to wear a harness just in case It sounds like the ideal way to go home. We are not planning to go in the very near future so hopefully the kennels will still be available.

Thanks for the info, one of our cat has digestive problems so we would have to take our own food but it sounds much better than going by plane and I think the kids would love it.
The original plan was to scrap the kennels after the Nov. voyage, but they rethought and decided to just redo them. After our voyage they were on the way to Hamberg to have them redone and they will be ready for the April voyage. On one of their journeys, the posh people in the back cabins(penthouses, really) complained they heard some barking, so thats what started the idea to scrap them. But after many letters from travelers with pets they decided to rebuild them with better insulation and a little remodeling. Thats the story we got from the kennel keepers anyway. So good luck. There are a few more people On this and a nother forum that are planning this as well. One of them I believe has already spoken to Cunard about the April voyage.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Dually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the rough

Yes, that would be me (brought onto this forum by Calle from another forum) and they're rebuilding the kennel rather than scraping it. Thank God. When I initially called they couldn't give a due date as to when the kennel would be ready, but they're anticipating that it will be ready in April. Be sure to call Cunard, as Calle mentions in her other post, rather than using the website - as they'll be able to give you more definite dates and cheaper rates.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé
The original plan was to scrap the kennels after the Nov. voyage, but they rethought and decided to just redo them. After our voyage they were on the way to Hamberg to have them redone and they will be ready for the April voyage. On one of their journeys, the posh people in the back cabins(penthouses, really) complained they heard some barking, so thats what started the idea to scrap them. But after many letters from travelers with pets they decided to rebuild them with better insulation and a little remodeling. Thats the story we got from the kennel keepers anyway. So good luck. There are a few more people On this and a nother forum that are planning this as well. One of them I believe has already spoken to Cunard about the April voyage.
Oh hurrah!! I'm really pleased about that as it seems by far the best way to go home. Thanks Calle.

Dunroving, when I was reading around about it the other day one site in particular (can't remember which one) mentioned that it was actually good for single travellers because they didn't charge a single person supplement or whatever they call it - they have single rooms apparently.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 6:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
Oh hurrah!! I'm really pleased about that as it seems by far the best way to go home. Thanks Calle.

Dunroving, when I was reading around about it the other day one site in particular (can't remember which one) mentioned that it was actually good for single travellers because they didn't charge a single person supplement or whatever they call it - they have single rooms apparently.
I so hope you are right!!! I did send off for a brochure from them several months ago but couldn't find any information on single supplements in there.

As Calle has said, calling them is probably more useful - but I don't want to jinx myself before I get a job to go home to!
Old Jan 8th 2006, 2:01 am
Just Joined

Dually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the rough

Calle,

Could you share how you got from Southampton to Alsager - did you end up renting a car or taking a train? If you did rent a car, would you mind PM'ing me on the american expat forum (scotlandbound).

Many thanks!
Heather
Old Jan 8th 2006, 3:53 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dually
...would you mind PM'ing me on the american expat forum (scotlandbound).
I thought that was you on there!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Uh oh! LOL yep, that's me - I followed Calle from there over to here
which has me wondering who you are!