Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I'm going to University in England.

I'm going to University in England.

Old Dec 30th 2003, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Lawrie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm going to University in England.

I want to know how easy it is to become a British resident. My parents are both Expats but I was born abroad, I do hold a Brittish passport but have never lived in England.

Could someone please advise me what to do or who to contact.

Cheers,

Lawrie
Old Dec 30th 2003, 3:46 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm going to University in England.

Originally posted by Lawrie
I want to know how easy it is to become a British resident. My parents are both Expats but I was born abroad, I do hold a Brittish passport but have never lived in England.

Could someone please advise me what to do or who to contact.

Cheers,

Lawrie
If you are a UK passport-holder, it seems all you need to do to be resident is live there... Or are you asking something else?
Old Dec 30th 2003, 7:52 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dunroving
If you are a UK passport-holder, it seems all you need to do to be resident is live there... Or are you asking something else?
There might be a time requirement if you are applying for any grants so you will have to be more specific.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 8:03 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
There might be a time requirement if you are applying for any grants so you will have to be more specific.
Good point. I have no idea why he's asking about residency, but that could be one reason. We seem to get a lot of calls for help and advice, and it's so difficult if the post is something like, "I'm in IT and want to live in the US. Please tell me how".

Terms like residency can mean different things depending on who's asking, as you illustrate in your reply. After living in the US since 1990, I'm still not a resident, immigration-wise, but I've been a resident, tax-wise, for many years now.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 8:05 am
JeanDupont

I believe that you should have lived in UK for several years prior to going to Uni - however you may be able to go if you pay some extra fees.

If you succeed then get ready to like drinking warm beer!

Residence requirements are set out in Part IV, Regulation 12 of the Education (Fees and Awards) Regulations 1983:

A student must be ordinarily resident in the UK for three years prior to the date of application for an award, and
has not been resident in the UK for any part of that period, wholly or mainly for the purposes of full time education, and
has settled status in the UK within the meaning of the Immigration Act 1971

Have a look on:

http://www.sli-institute.ac.uk/pg_co...gd_funding.htm

also

http://www.qmw.ac.uk/undergrad/ugmoney.shtml

Good Luck:lecture:

Last edited by JeanDupont; Dec 30th 2003 at 8:09 am.

Old Dec 30th 2003, 8:14 am
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uni in UK

If you can get hold of a copy of your parents birth certificates or use their expired British passports, you can apply for a British passport yourself. That's assuming your father was born in the UK or your mother was born in the UK after 1961.
As has been said, you'd still have to pay the overseas tuition fees though.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Lawrie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dunroving
Good point. I have no idea why he's asking about residency, but that could be one reason. We seem to get a lot of calls for help and advice, and it's so difficult if the post is something like, "I'm in IT and want to live in the US. Please tell me how".

Terms like residency can mean different things depending on who's asking, as you illustrate in your reply. After living in the US since 1990, I'm still not a resident, immigration-wise, but I've been a resident, tax-wise, for many years now.

I want to get a student loan while I'm studying. Also tuition fees are more for international students.
So I geuss what I'm asking is this, can I turn up in England enroll, register and ask for a loan?

Lawrie
Old Dec 31st 2003, 4:52 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

The Student Loans Company is the body which authorises student loans in Britain.

Their website is:

http://www.slc.co.uk

You haven't stated which country you're currently living in. There is a big difference as to whether or not you are resident in an EEC country. Basically, if you have been living in an EEC country outside the UK (eg. Sweden, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal etc.) for the three years prior to the commencement of your intended course, then you won't have to pay tuition fees.

Unfortunately, if you're outside the UK then you have a bigger problem and have to meet certain criteria to have the tuition fees waived. We've encountered this as we left the UK nine years ago to live in Singapore and now the US. Our eldest began her uni course in London last September but to have her fees waived we had to prove to the university:

1) That our posting overseas is on a temporary job transfer and not emigration. (My husband had to get a letter from his HR dept confirming this).

2) We still have our main home in the UK; we had to provide proof from the managing agency that our house is rented out and proof of rent payments.

3) Husband still pays National Insurance & has UK company Pension deductions from his salary.

Sadly, just being a British citizen doesn't automatically ensure that you can get a free British education....yet you can if you're Italian, Swedish etc. or from another EEC country and have never set foot in the UK before going to university in Blighty. International student fees from anyone living outside the EEC are very high..... maybe Canada is a better/cheaper option.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 5:44 am
JeanDupont

Lawrie - so you want to be a student? You will have to learn how to do research . Wherever you live you actually have the same internet access as we all have -

A good starting point would be to decide on some good search words, go to www.google.com and type them in the box. Press enter, wait a couple of seconds and see what comes up.

I bet you would find out everything you need to know in 5 minutes.

The only time I failed was when I typed in "french military victories" (Try it and see the first entry)

It would be quicker for you than starting a whole thread here, going back and forth.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by JeanDupont; Dec 31st 2003 at 5:47 am.