Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I'm Back. and i'm ready..........

Wikiposts

I'm Back. and i'm ready..........

Old Jan 8th 2011, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

chris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm Back. and i'm ready..........

Well, I would just like to firstly apologise for my absence for the last year or so. Things have been crazy with finishing uni and starting in my line of work, which with the current economic climate has not been easy, but im getting there.

Im not sure many of you will remember me but I was enquiring about the fundamental issues I would face when applying to move to the states. My girlfriend lives in Orlando,FL and we fly across to see each other once every few months. We have now been going strong for 4.5 years and last June whilst she was here on vacation, i proposed to her on top of primrose hill in london and she (to my relief) said yes

So, in the last year or so we had actually decided that she would move here to the UK as my career opportunities seemed better here. I have been trying for the last 9months since leaving University to get into a more stable position, in which I could afford to support my Fiance giving her enough time to relax and find the right job for her. It has not gone as speedy as I would have hoped, I have been self-employed the last 8 months and business has started to pick up of late so i'm happy about that, but again its not going to cut it.

So............... we are now, once again, looking into the option of me moving to the states and trying my luck in the land of opportunity I don't doubt for one second that the job search will be easier over there due to the 60million people unemployed right now, but my Fiance has a steady well paid job and it would give us the chance to finally be together on the same continent for more than a month!!!

I just wanted to say hi and that i'm now actively looking at the options available but from prior knowledge from all the lovely people on the forum, it will be either K-1 or CR-1, most likely CR-1 due to the ease and convenience of having it all ready when you land.

So just wanted to say hi and apologise for being a stranger for the last year.

Chris

p.s I understand if no-one remembers me
Old Jan 8th 2011, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

chris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm Back. and i'm ready..........

I knew I had had more than 3 posts. I dont know why i had that account? This is my original and actual account it may have been linked to a deleted email address as this is the username I found looking through my email history. hmmmmm........ anyway, if the mods have the ability to delete that account then thats fine, i do apologise for that mods, very sorry

Last edited by Sue; Jan 8th 2011 at 2:16 pm. Reason: I've merged the accounts for you.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 11:09 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Being taken care of Chris.

Welcome back. I agree Immigration Visa is the way to go. Nearly the same amount of time 6-8 months (outside 10) from start to finish after filing. Come in to the US ready to hit the employment bricks with permission to work, etc.

Congratulations on finishing your schooling. Now go back those wedding plans.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Being taken care of Chris.

Welcome back. I agree Immigration Visa is the way to go. Nearly the same amount of time 6-8 months (outside 10) from start to finish after filing. Come in to the US ready to hit the employment bricks with permission to work, etc.

Congratulations on finishing your schooling. Now go back those wedding plans.
Oh my gosh dont you start thats all i hear from a fiance, mum and two sisters!!! lol it's nice to be back and actively pursuing the idea of a move again

But in all seriousness, we are really torn between two different scenario's. Uk or US. Now i dont want to spark a heated debate as both have their positives and negatives but I just struggle to look at the US the same way i uset to. Especially with the way the economy is, the health care and education. In the UK its a similar situation!!

Also, we are thinking about either having a wedding with all our friends and family or saving the money and just having immediate family at a civil ceremony. I know there are LOADS of people on here with all kinds of interesting stories. Dont be afraid to share now ladies and gents

Hope you are all doing well and all the best for 2011
Old Jan 8th 2011, 12:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The wedding, do whatever feels right for you, not your friends and family...though be aware that if you get married in the UK, she'll need a visa to enter the UK to get wed.

Good luck and congrats!
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I joined the site in June so we havent yet met so "hi"!

Same situation as you - me UKC - fiance USC although we knew from the start I would go and live in US at this point in time.

Purely personal choice which visa to go for - been said before on here and I thought it was really good advice - do you want to spend time apart as an engaged or married couple. For me as I haven't been married before I didnt want to marry then be apart but I can see that it does indeed have advantages such as working straight away once you get to US and being able to come and go out of the US without waiting for AP.

Whatever you choose good luck with it and let us know
Old Jan 8th 2011, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
I joined the site in June so we havent yet met so "hi"!

Same situation as you - me UKC - fiance USC although we knew from the start I would go and live in US at this point in time.

Purely personal choice which visa to go for - been said before on here and I thought it was really good advice - do you want to spend time apart as an engaged or married couple. For me as I haven't been married before I didnt want to marry then be apart but I can see that it does indeed have advantages such as working straight away once you get to US and being able to come and go out of the US without waiting for AP.

Whatever you choose good luck with it and let us know
Thanks very much!! Nice to meet you.

Are you based in the US now? or still trawling through the application process. How is it all going!!

I think the main thing that happened to me,as if you look back at my threads a couple of years ago you will see I was the same, all i wanted to do was move to the US. I kinda think i was a little too young and naive to believe that it was this amazing utopia of happiness and no worries. Their society has just as many problems as ours. I have had the time and I spent alot of time studying the US at University and learnt a whole lot, it really opened my eyes.

Dont get me wrong I still love it out there, but I now am walking into the decision between life in the UK or the US with eyes wide open
Old Jan 8th 2011, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris23
Thanks very much!! Nice to meet you.

Are you based in the US now? or still trawling through the application process. How is it all going!!

I think the main thing that happened to me,as if you look back at my threads a couple of years ago you will see I was the same, all i wanted to do was move to the US. I kinda think i was a little too young and naive to believe that it was this amazing utopia of happiness and no worries. Their society has just as many problems as ours. I have had the time and I spent alot of time studying the US at University and learnt a whole lot, it really opened my eyes.

Dont get me wrong I still love it out there, but I now am walking into the decision between life in the UK or the US with eyes wide open
Hi Chris
I'm based in UK - live in London. Went for K1 interview in Dec - started process in March. I'm planning to go to US in March (such a lot to do beforehand that I keep putting it all off!) Fiance lives in North California in Humboldt County so off to hike in the Redwoods for a while

I have no doubt that it will be a big change and that it won't be easy to find work once I am able to work (Im in recruitment but will do whatever) but hopefully will take it all in my stride (trying to anyway!)

My fiance has twin girls of 17 which is one driver for us staying in US rather than UK.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Hi Chris
I'm based in UK - live in London. Went for K1 interview in Dec - started process in March. I'm planning to go to US in March (such a lot to do beforehand that I keep putting it all off!) Fiance lives in North California in Humboldt County so off to hike in the Redwoods for a while

I have no doubt that it will be a big change and that it won't be easy to find work once I am able to work (Im in recruitment but will do whatever) but hopefully will take it all in my stride (trying to anyway!)

My fiance has twin girls of 17 which is one driver for us staying in US rather than UK.
Excellent!! I really happy for you!! and hope the move goes well, good to hear you have had the interview. Im sure it will be a big change for you, but having those people in your life will make all the difference im sure.

Yea the job situation worries me the most i think, im trying to look into getting a job offer before i would move.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris23
Excellent!! I really happy for you!! and hope the move goes well, good to hear you have had the interview. Im sure it will be a big change for you, but having those people in your life will make all the difference im sure.

Yea the job situation worries me the most i think, im trying to look into getting a job offer before i would move.
Thank you! Keep us posted on your progress
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

AmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really nice

Welcome back, although im a newbie here so wasnt around when you were here before!

Feel free to thrash out the UK/US decision on here. For us it was an easy one, hubby in the US has a great job, whereas I just graduated, so it makes sense for me to get my bum over there and start a career (oh, real life!)
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AmyCO
Welcome back, although im a newbie here so wasnt around when you were here before!

Feel free to thrash out the UK/US decision on here. For us it was an easy one, hubby in the US has a great job, whereas I just graduated, so it makes sense for me to get my bum over there and start a career (oh, real life!)
Glad to hear your decision was easier than mine. My career is just starting here in the UK but my Fiance has a good job right now (probably not quite enough to support both of us by herself) so having a job would be essential for me when moving over. The overall issue im facing is wether or not I would be able to get a job when im there, as im not one to enjoy sitting on the couch all day cooped up inside!!! :s
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

AmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really nice

I know the feeling! Ive taken numerous trips over on the visa waiver and even 90 days of sitting doing nothing has been painstaking!

Again, its generally been me who has gone to visit because of hubbys job...

With regards to the job situation its certainly a tough one, as neither the US or UK seem to be doing very well!

In my opinion, the US is generally going to be somewhat easier to get a job as there is always the option of moving to find something, whereas in the UK its pretty dire all over.

For me, im not overly worried about the job situation, as being a fresh graduate means im not TOO worried about getting into a career too quickly. I would love to be able to go straight into my chosen career, but what I mean by this is im happy to take a lower wage job just to get me working, and then keep looking for something better!

With regards to the personal opinions about moving, are you both happy to move to the others country if the job situation wasnt an issue?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AmyCO
I know the feeling! Ive taken numerous trips over on the visa waiver and even 90 days of sitting doing nothing has been painstaking!

Again, its generally been me who has gone to visit because of hubbys job...

With regards to the job situation its certainly a tough one, as neither the US or UK seem to be doing very well!

In my opinion, the US is generally going to be somewhat easier to get a job as there is always the option of moving to find something, whereas in the UK its pretty dire all over.

For me, im not overly worried about the job situation, as being a fresh graduate means im not TOO worried about getting into a career too quickly. I would love to be able to go straight into my chosen career, but what I mean by this is im happy to take a lower wage job just to get me working, and then keep looking for something better!

With regards to the personal opinions about moving, are you both happy to move to the others country if the job situation wasnt an issue?
Absolutely!!! I am more than happy to move there and she loves it here in the UK. It really depends on jobs and living arrangements.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Thats great! Its nice to have the flexibility. My hubbys a country bumpkin so cant stand the crowds in England! i dont think I could get him to move here without a hell of a fight!