I'm Back!!

Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm Back!!

Originally Posted by ladylisa
If I'm right thinking your wife is American dont forget to give her the yankee forum website. There will be times when she may feel homesick so she would enjoy talking to other Americans.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php
You are correct. She has been using the forum a lot lately to get information for various things so I'm sure it will become a source of support for her soon too!

How long now until your move?
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Always21
You are correct. She has been using the forum a lot lately to get information for various things so I'm sure it will become a source of support for her soon too!

How long now until your move?
I think about the 13th October. I'm passed the feeling nervous stage now I'm just looking forward to it. This weekend has been a long one and made me realise that I've been too and seen everything I want to in my state so I would need a really good reason to stay and I just dont have one. Thats not a reflection on the US just on my priorities.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

SCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really nice

Great post, I'm sure your time away has given you
lots of confidence hence how sucessful you've been
at finding a job doing exactly what you want to do.

WELL DONE and keep us updated
Old Sep 4th 2006, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I think about the 13th October. I'm passed the feeling nervous stage now I'm just looking forward to it. This weekend has been a long one and made me realise that I've been too and seen everything I want to in my state so I would need a really good reason to stay and I just dont have one. Thats not a reflection on the US just on my priorities.
That's great. The next month will go so quickly! Good luck with everything and I look forward to hearing how you get on and comparing notes.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 8:00 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear a positive story- there's been lots of naysayers on here lately (there was a whole thread on the bad things of Britain - mainly dog poo!) it's been very discouraging. My nephew just returned from holiday in England and he was quick to point out the tiny houses and expenses of back home which planted the seeds of doubt in my mind (although he did pick up an england kit for my son for 5 pounds!!)

This thread couldn't have come at a better time I'm happy to hear about a returnee- esp. as when people return they disappear after they start living their lives in England so you never really know where the honeymoon period ends- or if it does. I still have two years before my move also so lots of time to mull things over, great to hear that so many folks are taking the plunge sooner than I am- testing the water so as to speak.

Was wondering where you'd gone always21- how has it been now you are so close? Am excited for you- feels like I'll never get there- but I know I will!
Old Sep 5th 2006, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
Great to hear a positive story- there's been lots of naysayers on here lately (there was a whole thread on the bad things of Britain - mainly dog poo!) it's been very discouraging. My nephew just returned from holiday in England and he was quick to point out the tiny houses and expenses of back home which planted the seeds of doubt in my mind (although he did pick up an england kit for my son for 5 pounds!!)

This thread couldn't have come at a better time I'm happy to hear about a returnee- esp. as when people return they disappear after they start living their lives in England so you never really know where the honeymoon period ends- or if it does. I still have two years before my move also so lots of time to mull things over, great to hear that so many folks are taking the plunge sooner than I am- testing the water so as to speak.

Was wondering where you'd gone always21- how has it been now you are so close? Am excited for you- feels like I'll never get there- but I know I will!
Well.. first off glad I can help Second off.. a couple counter points to your nephews narrow minded views of England. The reason there's so much dog shit about, is because people here actually go out and walk there dogs. Houses are small, but there built out of proper materials, not plastic and wood, they also don't shake when the wind blows. Expenses are all relative. Go through the tax bracket in America and you have: Federal tax, state tax, county tax, and local tax. At least tax is included in the price in England, so you don't have to do math each time you want to buy something - regardless of how small it may be.

I'm still really on my 'honeymoon' so to speak, I don't actually start work until the 18th of this month, so I basically hang out with friends all day because there all off from college at the moment! But yes, I can see why you don't hear from people that return, it's very hectic and lots of things need to be sorted. Everything from accomodation to employment needs to be sorted quickly. As stated before though, I think theres a much bigger motivation when your back to make this your 'move' work. I know I tried a lot harder to make sure I was sucessful here, than when I moved over the America, that could just be because it wasn't my decision though.

Chris
Old Sep 5th 2006, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

We're very excited but today has been an absolute nightmare. The packers are coming tomorrow so we've been doing last minute sorting out. The boys are SOOOOO bored with no toys to play with and keep getting under out feet. I've had a few of Honeymommy's "exorcist mommy" (well, daddy) moments! If only we had somebody to help with them... but if we had that I guess we wouldn't be doing this in the first place! I'm glad my parents are looking forward to spending time with the boys... they won't have to ask!

Well, the computer will be gone tomorrow but I'll try to pop into the forum from Rachael's family's computers.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

We're very excited but today has been an absolute nightmare. The packers are coming tomorrow so we've been doing last minute sorting out. The boys are SOOOOO bored with no toys to play with and keep getting under out feet. I've had a few of Honeymommy's "exorcist mommy" (well, daddy) moments! If only we had somebody to help with them... but if we had that I guess we wouldn't be doing this in the first place! I'm glad my parents are looking forward to spending time with the boys... they won't have to ask!

Well, the computer will be gone tomorrow but I'll try to pop into the forum from Rachael's family's computers.

Just wanted to wish you all the best Hope everything goes well for you.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Location: Lancashire - Vic, Oz - hopefully Yorkshire or Devon
Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, same from me - Good Luck!!

I feel very excited for you (& yet very nervous about my own move in 4 weeks!!!) I think having to spend the 3 months apart from OH makes things even more difficult

So what will you do without all of your belongings as you still have another week before you leave - is that right?

Will you have restrictions on your hand-luggage too?
Old Sep 6th 2006, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Basil Brush
Yeah, same from me - Good Luck!!

I feel very excited for you (& yet very nervous about my own move in 4 weeks!!!) I think having to spend the 3 months apart from OH makes things even more difficult

So what will you do without all of your belongings as you still have another week before you leave - is that right?

Will you have restrictions on your hand-luggage too?
Good luck with your move too. We really didn't want to leave separately and were lucky enough that we don't have to (although if I had a job lined up we might have had to... and that would have been a good thing I guess). I'm sure the three months will go quickly though and it will all be worth it. Maybe you'll feel like newlyweds when you're reunited?!

Yes, we have another week. We settle on the house tomorrow, drive to Boston on Monday and fly from there on Tuesday. We can watch TV in the hotel room, hang out at my wife's grandparents' house or go downtown or wherever. It should actually be less boring for the boys than the last couple of weeks have been! We are just living out of suitcases as far as clothing goes.

Yes, hand luggage will be limited in size, and no liquids of course. It's a night flight though so shouldn't be too bad. We'll just have our important documents, nappies and wipes, and a book or two in case of insomnia. It's amazing how little you can live with when you have to! Well, I'm getting ready to shut down the computer now. Not sure how I'm going to feel living without that though...
Old Sep 6th 2006, 2:56 pm

Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Crispyuk88
Well.. first off glad I can help Second off.. a couple counter points to your nephews narrow minded views of England. The reason there's so much dog shit about, is because people here actually go out and walk there dogs. Houses are small, but there built out of proper materials, not plastic and wood, they also don't shake when the wind blows. Expenses are all relative. Go through the tax bracket in America and you have: Federal tax, state tax, county tax, and local tax. At least tax is included in the price in England, so you don't have to do math each time you want to buy something - regardless of how small it may be.
lol! I have had many times when I first moved here where I have had the exact money for something and had to put it back. v. embarrassing.
What I don't get is how the tax is rolled into the products you buy in england and its supposed to be way higher yet things don't end up being more expensive?

I have had a really great couple of weeks lately and have not been as fed up here in the states- even getting attached to my wooden monster house- but you are so right the houses here are bigger but so much more flimsy.

It's cool that you have all your mates around you- I have mainly lost touch with friends back home so that's another thing for me to worry about. I have some great friends here. It's not like I can go knock on peoples door and say please be my friend he he- well I could but that would be more than a little weird. Good job my hubbies my best mate I suppose!
Old Sep 6th 2006, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Hayley]
It's cool that you have all your mates around you- I have mainly lost touch with friends back home so that's another thing for me to worry about. I have some great friends here. It's not like I can go knock on peoples door and say please be my friend he he- well I could but that would be more than a little weird. Good job my hubbies my best mate I suppose!
Funny you should say that! I think I kept in touch with maybe.... 3-4 of my mates back here. Thing is, once you see the people that you kept in touch with, they tell all the people you lost touch with, that your back. And like a big chain reaction loads of people now know your back and want to come see you. From there you can continue to keep in touch and re-unite, so to speak. Where I live is not really a small place, but it's surprising how many people you bump into when your shopping in town or something, too.

On top of that, theres plenty of pubs about to become local and make friends at
Old Sep 6th 2006, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Crispyuk88]So. . . Basically, I've been back for coming on 3 months. Returned from MN, USA 2 weeks after I finished High school. I left mainly because I wanted to start working and earning. I was also sick to death of living somewhere which I disliked; although, I was slightly sad to leave after 3 years of living there. The 1st & 2nd years were completely Sh*t though to be honest! But yes. . . I did end making some good friends, and did finally adapt to living in America - key word being 'adapt'.

Chris[/QUOTE

hey chris, just catching up on your thread....great news and good luck with mercedes
Old Sep 6th 2006, 6:02 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Basil Brush
What a great post!

So glad that you are happy to be back amongst the things that make you feel like you

I'll be back in Lancashire in just over 5 weeks & am really beginning to feel the nerves kicking in now. I have just 3 weeks notice left to serve in my job & the magnitude of what we're doing really hit me the other day when I saw my job advertised on the web :scared:

One day I feel excited & the next I feel sick with nerves & anxiety! I'm sure that everyone gets to ride this emotional roller-coaster when they are making such a big life changing decision though.
Hello Basil -
Whereabouts in Lancashire are you returning to? I am from there originally and if I return it will probably be to either Lancashire or Yorkshire, although, as same with everybody else I am always concerned about finding a decent job. My mum and dad never seemed to have much luck job-wise and my brother, a nurse, has just been made redundant from Preston hospital. I thought the UK was crying out for nurses! There is a war to be paid for I suppose.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 6:46 pm

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Crispyuk88

Funny you should say that! I think I kept in touch with maybe.... 3-4 of my mates back here. Thing is, once you see the people that you kept in touch with, they tell all the people you lost touch with, that your back. And like a big chain reaction loads of people now know your back and want to come see you. From there you can continue to keep in touch and re-unite, so to speak. Where I live is not really a small place, but it's surprising how many people you bump into when your shopping in town or something, too.

On top of that, theres plenty of pubs about to become local and make friends at
this is true- thanks. I like to think I'm a likable sort. Plus I'm ready to put the effort in to make new friends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.