Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I'm avoiding London because of the MET

Wikiposts

I'm avoiding London because of the MET

Old Feb 8th 2012, 10:23 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm avoiding London because of the MET

Just the other day a cop looked at me, just for a second but I could tell he was trying to decide what he could arrest me for. Luckily some other criminal decided just at that moment to walk through a door, I don't know what he was thinking doing that right in front of the cop.

Originally Posted by Pomster
I live in London and commute into the city on a daily basis.

Not a day goes by when I am not arrested and thrown into prison overnight.

I am usually charged with offenses such as :
-using public transport
-standing on public transport even if a seat becomes available
-tutting loudly at pedestrians who walk slowly.
- not being in possession of an Iphone in a public place *

The day I skipped along naked singing the 'Hallelujah chorus' was the only day they did not arrest me.

The police are there just to make my life difficult.

(*well they might if I ever saw any police)
Old Feb 8th 2012, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I was truly surprised watching the London riots of a few months ago, and seeing police just standing there while people threw things at them. I can only imagine what would have happened in New York had the same scenes unfolded.
IMO the police were standing fast to show the politicians that they may want to think again about cutting back on the police forces. I understand they have cut back on the police in some areas.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 2:53 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm a little taken a back by some of the comments, I would hope that rather than abuse me, people would hope to change my mind. Unfortunately some have only confirmed my misgivings about the police.

I want to trust the police and feel confident that they are doing a good job protecting people. I don't right now and I'm looking for reassurance, I'm not getting that, just a lack of empathy.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 3:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't think you have been abused. I think people are fairly amazed that you are making a life change based on something that you've said is unlikely to affect you personally but I guess we all make decisions based on our own perceptions. It's a public forum, you have asked for public opinion, you've got it. You may not have heard what you wanted, but you've had opinions.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 3:04 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I am still shaking my head in disbelief that you are seemingly basing your decision on where to live on a comment made by one cop, you then come to the conclusion that, based on his comment to you, that the MET are corrupt.
You've lost something in the thread. The corruption notion comes from a diet of Guardian articles and I have worries about the policing of protest groups both in the streets and by under cover policemen. The "interaction" with the MET policeman was a minor incident, but he was very unpleasant, sorry if this sounds trifling, but the guy gave me the creeps and I don't want to feel that way around the police. Policing is just a factor in where I choose to live. The MET policemen are probably the way they are because it's London with all the added stress and issues, so maybe it's London itself the I want to avoid.

Anyway I think I'll be living in the North but close to the main train line so I can visit. I'll probably avoid St Pauls though
Old Feb 8th 2012, 3:11 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I honestly don't think you have been abused. I think people are fairly amazed that you are making a life change based on something that you've said is unlikely to affect you personally but I guess we all make decisions based on our own perceptions. It's a public forum, you have asked for public opinion, you've got it. You may not have heard what you wanted, but you've had opinions.
I hear what people are saying, and I see that most don't share my misgivings about the police. The fact that I'm a law abiding citizen is the very reason I worry when I perceive there to be problems in policing. Your comment implies that I should only worry about myself and not others, I can't understand that.
The only real experiences with the police that have been related are from an ex-policeman and his comments didn't reassure me.

You may not feel that there has been abuse in these posts, but I do, however, that's all part of the give and take on a public forum and I hope people will give me examples of happy experiences with policemen.

Last edited by nun; Feb 8th 2012 at 3:25 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 3:27 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
You've lost something in the thread. The corruption notion comes from a diet of Guardian articles and I have worries about the policing of protest groups both in the streets and by under cover policemen. The "interaction" with the MET policeman was a minor incident, but he was very unpleasant, sorry if this sounds trifling, but the guy gave me the creeps and I don't want to feel that way around the police. Policing is just a factor in where I choose to live. The MET policemen are probably the way they are because it's London with all the added stress and issues, so maybe it's London itself the I want to avoid.

Anyway I think I'll be living in the North but close to the main train line so I can visit. I'll probably avoid St Pauls though
You should avoid Middlesborough too, I was shouted at by a copper for walking up a grass banking when I was around 17. Can't say I've let the incident rule my life
Old Feb 8th 2012, 3:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I hear what people are saying, and I see that most don't share my misgivings about the police. The fact that I'm a law abiding citizen is the very reason I worry when I perceive there to be problems in policing. Your comment implies that I should only worry about myself and not others, I can't understand that.
The only real experiences with the police that have been related are from an ex-policeman and his comments didn't reassure me.

You may not feel that there has been abuse in these posts, but I do, however, that's all part of the give and take on a public forum and I hope people will give me examples of happy experiences with policemen.
No idea where you got that implication from but if it's only you moving, why would you worry about strangers to the extent that you'll base your move on something you consider to be a problem but others don't. I honestly don't understand.

However it appears to be irrlelevant as you're now off up north. Have you researched the police departments up there?
Old Feb 8th 2012, 3:51 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No idea where you got that implication from but if it's only you moving, why would you worry about strangers to the extent that you'll base your move on something you consider to be a problem but others don't. I honestly don't understand.

However it appears to be irrlelevant as you're now off up north. Have you researched the police departments up there?

I got the implication from you saying

unlikely to affect you personally
the implication being that I shouldn't worry about policing if I'm a law abiding citizen.

Again policing is only a factor in my decision, there are many others.....
I will be looking looking at lots of factors in deciding where to live and the police will be amongst them.

You should avoid Middlesborough too, I was shouted at by a copper for walking up a grass banking when I was around 17. Can't say I've let the incident rule my life
Oh and I hear several high ranking Middlesbrough policemen just got nicked so theres one to avoid. Actually policing is way down on the list of reasons to avoid Middlesbrough, "The Parmo" is one of the biggest. Sorry for the abuse

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/au...ted-corruption

Last edited by nun; Feb 8th 2012 at 3:55 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:02 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I got the implication from you saying

the implication being that I shouldn't worry about policing if I'm a law abiding citizen.

Again policing is only a factor in my decision, there are many others.....
I will be looking looking at lots of factors in deciding where to live and the police will be amongst them.

Oh and I hear several high ranking Middlesbrough policemen just got nicked so theres one to avoid. Actually policing is way down on the list of reasons to avoid Middlesbrough, "The Parmo" is one of the biggest. Sorry for the abuse

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/au...ted-corruption
What abuse?
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:44 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has got so bizarre I'm actually wondering if it is a big wind up ? I hate to say this but I believe there is Police corruption everywhere in the world, there is certainly plenty here. Your life changing decisions seem to be based around the fact that a tiny % of officers are corrupt
We are going to Somerset and to be honest I have no idea how much Police corruption there is in that lovely county, I would imagine there would be some as there is everywhere. The overwhelming majority of Police officers are good people doing a great job, a tiny minority make the news for the wrong reasons. You seem to want people to tell you what you should already know and has been said, 999 put of 1000 cops are good.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
There are about 31000 police officers in London, how many of them are corrupt?

In my time I came across very few and an equal percentage or more bent lawyers, teachers, local government employes, and a very great number more of corrupt members of the public.

When I joined the Met in 1969 it was corrupt and Robert Mark started the job of cleaning it up. In fact more of my colleagues lost their lives doing the job, after the mid 70s, than I came across bent officers. You read a few newspapers articles and you come on here and denigrate people you don't know and give an example of an officer not speaking how you like. Quite frankly people like you with no real knowledge make me sick. You have no idea what is like to face a gun with only a lump of wood to defend yourself with, or to fight to get a knife away from someone, or to protect a wife from a violent drunk husband. When you do, if you've got the guts to find out, then criticize, until then I suspect most of the people on the street doing The Job have more integrity in their little finger than you possess. You comment on others lack of knowledge, quite frankly you don't have a clue.
Well said!
Old Feb 8th 2012, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun

Ah well, if you will read the Guardian what can you expect LOL
Old Feb 8th 2012, 10:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I hope people will give me examples of happy experiences with policemen.
In which case, every policeman I've ever met in London or elsewhere in the UK (and that's quite a few, given that my 4 year old son is obsessed with uniforms and we have to stop all police officers we see for a chat!) has been nothing but polite and lovely. Can't see why you'd tar all police officers with the same brush just because you met one that was a bit grumpy.

Yes, there's corruption, but there is in every single police force in the world! So I really don't see how or why that should influence your decision as to where to move to or avoid.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

In Spring time I used to avoid a certain road in Lane Cove, Sydney on my bike because a magpie used to attack me without absolutely no provocation from me at all.

We live in England now, now that'll freakin teach him

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.