Reload this Page >

Ill American in London-family needs accommodation help

Ill American in London-family needs accommodation help

Old Dec 10th 2012, 6:46 am
Just Joined

mppm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ill American in London-family needs accommodation help

Hello,

I'm an American living here in the US, hoping that someone on this forum can give me some insight and possible suggestions to help a family in need. This is concerning an an ill American woman living in London and I'm hoping that someone might know about services or resources there that may be able to provide lodgings for her parents so that they can be closer to their daughter during this very stressful time.

This family is living in England while the husband is stationed in the Air Force. He, his wife, and their two children live a few hours outside of London. The family was visiting London when the young mother developed severe headaches, had breathing difficulty and was rushed to Charing Cross Hospital. After lengthy testing she was diagnosed with bleeding in the brain, brain lesions, a brain tumor that is attached to her spinal cord and is now in a medically induced coma. Her parents flew to London and their two week hotel stay resulted in a $2300 hotel bill, so needless to say, extended hotel stays are not a financial option.

I don't know if living at their daughters house two hours away is an option. Someone said they spent $100 one way to London; I don't know what mode of transportation was used. I assume they'd rather be closer to their daughter in case of an emergency. Hopefully, in due time, she stabilizes and can be transported closer to home, but in the meantime I'm trying to find a way for the parents to be near their daughter.

There is one room in Charing Cross Hospital for families but unfortunately this was already booked. Does anyone know if local churches, faith-based organizations, or any associations have such resources, such as a network of homes to help families in need?

I couldn't imagine being in the parents situation; concern about expenses would be one thing but worrying the health and life of my daughter would be another.

Thank you,

Mary
Old Dec 10th 2012, 7:44 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ill American in London-family needs help

High. Sorry to hear about this situation. I afraid I can't help you with charities associations, but I'm sure that some one will pop in with a comment. My only suggestion is to look for a cheaper room solution through Airbnb until they can sort out a better option. Goodluck.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Ailidh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I don't know about "faith-based" organizations or such, but UK social services should be in a position to provide support - however, if the husband is in the Air Force, they are not true British residents and the military is responsible for its own, as far as I know. It is up to US military authorities to make arrangements for family members.

Someone else may have another idea, but I think this is probably strictly a US issue, despite the wife's presence in Britain, as the husband is U.S. military. Good luck.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 8:14 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered looking at AirBnB? These are people who rent out spare rooms or apartments much like a hotel. Varying rates and properties, but likely a bit cheaper than a hotel. Rent by week or even a month if need be.

I think I saw about 90 units listed near Fulham (isn't that where the hospital is located?)

https://www.airbnb.com/s/London--United-Kingdom
Old Dec 10th 2012, 8:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Have they looked at a house swap website? They might find somebody that wants to use their house for a while.

Whereabouts are they travelling in to London from?
Old Dec 10th 2012, 9:36 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ailidh
Someone else may have another idea, but I think this is probably strictly a US issue, despite the wife's presence in Britain, as the husband is U.S. military. Good luck.
I think that is right and approaching whatever Welfare Services the USAF has is the way to go on this one. There used to USAF at West Ruislip on the underground (when I worked near Harrow afew years back) so maybe they have welfare accomodation - might be worth a shot.

If he was RAF then RAFA, SSAFA, British Legion or RAF Benovolent Fund would be the sorts of people to talk to and the USAF should be able to put the family in touch with similar US charities, one would think.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 37100
High. Sorry to hear about this situation. I afraid I can't help you with charities associations, but I'm sure that some one will pop in with a comment. My only suggestion is to look for a cheaper room solution through Airbnb until they can sort out a better option. Goodluck.
Thank you very much. I'll pass Airbnb along and have them look this up.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 1:36 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Its tough having a sick relative away from home at any time - being in a different country it just makes everything harder. I feel for them.

Have they checked out with the hospital whether any of the other hospitals in the area have accommodation available? I know a lot of the larger hospitals do have arrangements - a quick google for Charing Cross Hospital showed Hammersmith had basic accommodation at UKPDS 50 a night, which will be cheaper than they are currently paying.

Failing that, try the Travelodge website - when we go to London we've normally found them to be OK - basic, but clean, comfortable and reasonable at 50-70/night for a family room including parking and sometimes breakfast, which for London is pretty good!

But as others have said, presumably the USAF will be able to help out ? They have so many personnel over there, this can't be a first for them. Are they planning on leaving her at Charing Cross or moving her out closer to the base?
Old Dec 10th 2012, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ailidh
Hello, I don't know about "faith-based" organizations or such, but UK social services should be in a position to provide support - however, if the husband is in the Air Force, they are not true British residents and the military is responsible for its own, as far as I know. It is up to US military authorities to make arrangements for family members.

It doesn't have to be faith-based, I just included that in case these types of organizations do exist to help others from wherever they might be while they're in London facing these situations.

I received this info late last week and they may have asked military by now. In the US they have hospitality houses that help people from all over the world with family members receiving treatment and I was wondering if there was something similar in England.

Thank you very much for your input.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

How about going to UK-Yankee.com and asking there as well? This is a US expat website for people living in the UK. I bet there will be someone that may be able to either help with a suggestion, or maybe even have enough compassion and offer lodging? You never know...

Btw, I have a daughter that lives in the UK and I know I'd want to be right there if she were very ill. Best of luck to this family.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

london66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
I think that is right and approaching whatever Welfare Services the USAF has is the way to go on this one. There used to USAF at West Ruislip on the underground (when I worked near Harrow afew years back) so maybe they have welfare accomodation - might be worth a shot.
Hi there

I think the USAF pulled out of West Ruislip a few years back, when I went past about 6 weeks ago they were building houses and flats on the site.

Brendan
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
How about going to UK-Yankee.com and asking there as well? This is a US expat website for people living in the UK. I bet there will be someone that may be able to either help with a suggestion, or maybe even have enough compassion and offer lodging? You never know...

Btw, I have a daughter that lives in the UK and I know I'd want to be right there if she were very ill. Best of luck to this family.
I was going to do that last night but thought I'd start with British expats as I thought they might be more familiar with this since they're from there. It was 2 or 3 am and I was too tired to finagle another forum then. Yankee isn't the one I saw but I'll do that one.

Much appreciated, AmerLisa.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mppm
I was going to do that last night but thought I'd start with British expats as I thought they might be more familiar with this since they're from there. It was 2 or 3 am and I was too tired to finagle another forum then. Yankee isn't the one I saw but I'll do that one.

Much appreciated, AmerLisa.
Good luck! And don't try American Expats because they only have a couple of forums that are free and the rest are a subscription charge. I've found that UK-Yankee is better.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Have they looked at a house swap website? They might find somebody that wants to use their house for a while.

Whereabouts are they travelling in to London from?
Her parents live in Ohio.

Looking into house sitting was a suggestion if they can find one in their time frame. (whatever that may be)
Old Dec 10th 2012, 6:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ill American in London-family needs accommodation help

I'll move this to the Moving Back to the UK forum - we have a lot of London based posters in there, as well as a lot of people with links to the UK - quite possible someone has ideas or links

Make sure the family have talked to the hospital about accommodation - some of the London hospitals do have lists of alternative places to stay when teir own rooms are full.
Also travelwise tell them to investigate an Oyster card and look at travelling by the tube rather than taxis (which I suspect they may be using). Oyster os MUCH cheapr than paying per trip and they can get one at any tube station.

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 10th 2012 at 6:51 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.