British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   IHS question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/ihs-question-926546/)

Caz2518 Jul 19th 2019 10:18 am

IHS question

Hi everyone ,

So we’ve been in the UK for about six weeks, have finally got a place to live, a current account ( after many frustrating trips to different banks !) and life is good ! My question is regarding the IHS surcharge for my husband which we paid for . Our medical center is asking for proof of the dates it is valid for ? I’ve told them it’s the same dates as on my husbands BRP . But they’re insisting the we should have other evidence? Am I missing something ? Please help , thank you .

Caz

fastrhino Jul 19th 2019 12:58 pm

Re: IHS question

Originally Posted by Caz2518 (Post 12712391)
have finally got a place to live, a current account ( after many frustrating trips to different banks !)

What was your main source of frustration with the banks, I am hoping to open a bank account when I come over in August, I have my UK driving licence already sat waiting for me with a current UK address and my UK passport. was the issue something other than proof of residency?

Caz2518 Jul 19th 2019 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by fastrhino (Post 12712446)
What was your main source of frustration with the banks, I am hoping to open a bank account when I come over in August, I have my UK driving licence already sat waiting for me with a current UK address and my UK passport. was the issue something other than proof of residency?

It was proof of address mostly and what each bank would accept . They wouldn’t even accept our US bank statements with our UK address on them . Finally it was a council tax bill that was accepted. Good luck 😊

robtuck Jul 19th 2019 4:58 pm

UK Banks will usually want a Utility Bill related to the property you are using as your residence, or a mortgage statement, something like that. It most likely has to be clear evidence that you have the right to live there.

BritInParis Jul 19th 2019 5:31 pm

“Medical center”? Do you mean your GP?

cyrian Jul 21st 2019 6:52 am

Have a read at this article.
It is not definitive but indicates what proof you may need.
You need to ask each bank what it will accept as proof of address.
Opening a bank a/c

durham_lad Jul 21st 2019 8:52 am

British passport is good, shows the right to be resident but does not show actual residency. The driving licence is too easy to have a non resident address on it, as you have demonstrated so is not acceptable as proof of residence.

That is why a utility bill or similar to you at a UK address, preferably the same one on your driving licence, is needed. Our son moved back and initially stayed with us for a few months. The bank accepted his passport, his UK driving licence with our address, a utility bill to me at that address plus a signed letter from myself and my wife stating that he was living with us.