Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

If you'd had a crystal ball.....

If you'd had a crystal ball.....

Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you'd had a crystal ball.....

Originally Posted by camponotus
Sometimes I wonder if there is an agenda to ''empty out'' the UK by getting loads of people to leave under the belief that life in the UK is awful and they'd be better off overseas.

Just a thought.
I've had that thought too many times (sorry it's not really on topic but it's a very interesting point). You would certainly think there is such an agenda by the things the British government and media constantly say and do. However the overall population in Britain is increasing not decreasing so it's not emptying out, it's just that lots of British born people are leaving, and a much higher number of foreign immigrants are replacing them. So far I haven't come up with a good reason why the British government would want that though.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

I would definitely still have come as I am one of those people who would have always wondered “what if”.

I did not leave the UK because I hated it, but I suppose I was hoping to achieve "a better life". In a way we did achieve that materialistically but after a while though I realised it's a shallow existence without f & f.

It has been a life changing experience for me though as I now see the UK in a completely different light and appreciate what I had in the UK and what the UK has to offer myself and my children.

I have enjoyed the experience of living in another country but I am now ready to go home, where I belong.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:20 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a Crystal ball, but have a magic 8 ball. But it keeps changing the answers on me when I ask questions.
I don't think I'd want to know ahead of time really, I mean life experiences are what shape us right? I kinda like who I've become over the years and think I'd be a different person if I'd never moved here.
Maybe one of those whinging poms who think the grass is greener some place else. I have no delusions about grass, it is greener in UK it's a dead brown colour here in California. But life is pretty much what you make it. You can find good and bad everywhere, I choose to concentrate on the good and sod the rest. But still want to move home eventually even though life is good here at the mo, no job losses for us so far.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

OOoh tough question

On one hand I would not have gone to Australia because it caused so much upset and heartache. Then I missed the last year of my Dad's life

On t'other hand, yes I would've gone because I have grown so much as a person over the four years spent there and I now know what is important to me and what I really need in my life to make me happy. And it sure ain't a materialistic lifestyle or the beach
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
OOoh tough question

On one hand I would not have gone to Australia because it caused so much upset and heartache. Then I missed the last year of my Dad's life

On t'other hand, yes I would've gone because I have grown so much as a person over the four years spent there and I now know what is important to me and what I really need in my life to make me happy. And it sure ain't a materialistic lifestyle or the beach
Actually, that's quite a good way of putting it and I suppose I feel like that too. If I hadn't have come here and experienced what I have, then I would not realise what is truly important to me now. You've made me change my mind from an absolute No, to being divided
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_town is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we left Ireland 5 years ago and came to the U.S If I had a crystal ball, I would definitely still have made the move. It has been a Wonderful life experience for us all especially the 2 kids who have frankly experienced much more than any of their buddies back home. We did a lot of travelling and I never regret doing it.
Maybe its because I grew up in a family with a set of parents who didn't really value travel and frankly would have liked to stay at home all year. We took vacations to various other parts of Ireland no more than 2 hours drive away. My Father is a cheerful guy but the high point of our annual vacation was, guess what, the day we packed up to go back home!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sure I would have come, it was a good idea at the time and I actually quite enjoyed it - didnt experience one iota of the angst that many folk do when coming here but I had already lived in PNG so after that anything was a breeze.

With my crystal ball though I would have been much more active in making decisions about where to go at certain points in our life journey rather than going along with the tide and taking the path of least resistance. I would also have clarified much earlier on just what my DH was thinking about where he wanted to spend our retirement years. I think we both went along thinking that the other was thinking what we were thinking and that wasnt the case (even though I am sure I had talked about what I aspired to and he said nothing at the time!).

Equally, I think had we waited a bit we could have got just as good an offer in UK and could probably have stayed there initially although given the nature of our lives then we probably wouldnt have stayed in UK even after that adventure finished - we were adventurers in our youth and would have gone anywhere in the world to follow a great opportunity. We very nearly went back to PNG (in hindsight, probably not a good idea!) and we came close to a posting in Delhi (again, probably not the best of ideas).
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you had had a crystal ball when you made the move abroad (e.g. to Australia) from the UK, and had thus been able to foresee exactly what life was going to be like at your planned destination, and all the ups/downs you were going to experience, would you still have come?

Just out of interest, of course! I know a lot of the fascists on here object to these kind of discussions, lest they might lead to some Australia bashing, but please post your thoughts honestly and voice whichever view is true of you.

Well, I have thought about this many times myself over the years. If I had known what lay ahead of me would I have come, what would I have done differently? So here goes:

1. I would have insisted that myself and husband come on a temporary visa rather than permanent and then would have looked into becoming a permanent resident after that. Coming out on a permanent visa makes it seem so permanent.
2. I would have had a big discussion with my husband prior to leaving the UK to discuss what are options would be should one of us not like it in OZ and the other does.(This has been the issue all along for most of our time here and has now resulted in me going back to the UK on my own later this year for an indefinite period).
3. If I'd known how badly I was going to be affected by homesickness and a sense of not belonging and the feelings of grief and loss that go with it then I probably would not have moved at all.
4. I wish I had come back to the UK sooner rather than 'sticking it out' to please my husband. I should have considered my own needs earlier.

Having said all of the above, it has been a great learning curve for me this emigration business, it has taught me a lot about myself and life.... but it has come and a price!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

EnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud of

I am new to this forum, I can't tell you how nice it is to know that I am not alone! I have lived in Aus for almost 14 years and my answer to the question would be... NO, NO, NO!
I did not come for myself, but for my husband who is English, but has a daughter here from his first marriage, and we came so that he could be with her while she was at school, she is now 25 and married and we are still here! My advice would be, if you don't settle and love it within 2 years, don't hang around thinking it will get better... I truely believe, some of us are able to live on the otherside of the world and love it and others just aren't. So if you are in the second category, - go while you still can.
We are still wanting to go home, but it's true the longer you leave it the harder it gets, and I feel like crying over all the time that I have wasted being miserable on the other side of the world from my family and friends. Never underestimate the ties you have to your place of birth and all that goes with it.
xx
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

VCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think both of us had this plan that eventually we would live within a stone's throw of each other in the UK and visit regularly, etc. But he recognizes what I need to to improve my quality of life and we will simply have to get by on seeing each other infrequently, but making the most of those visits.
Me and my twin are identical too and I always thought we'd end up living next door to each other not 5,000 miles apart like we are now. I think eventually one of us will move, even if it's not for some years yet.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 7:06 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

If you had had a crystal ball when you made the move abroad (e.g. to Australia) from the UK, and had thus been able to foresee exactly what life was going to be like at your planned destination, and all the ups/downs you were going to experience, would you still have come?
Probably not. Not because I particularly hate it here in Australia, or that I think the UK is streets ahead. Its simply that the cost and effort, both emotionally and financially, of making the journey and setting up a new home were just not worth what we got out of the move
Old Mar 8th 2009, 7:47 am
Legless recluse

leglessfool is on a distinguished road

Just out of interest, of course! I know a lot of the fascists on here object to these kind of discussions, lest they might lead to some Australia bashing, but please post your thoughts honestly and voice whichever view is true of you.

If I had had a crystal ball, I certainly would not have chosen to come to this country 23 years ago and with experience now and out of choice I would have gone to nearby Malaysia instead. I cannot understand why many people actually like this place and still choose to come here, whether it be for holidays or to live here.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:39 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

I hated it when I came here 5 years ago but I went through a huge crisis not long after I moved here so this had a lot to do with not enjoying being here. Since then though, I can see the the good and the bad of living in both the UK or Australia.

I think life here has changed me especially. I've had to grow through some very tough times, challenge a lot of my original beliefs and learn to be a lot more flexible and forgiving of what doesn't match my expectation.
I've learned not to make comparisons with the UK and Australia, they are so similar yet worlds apart in so many ways.
And I've learned to enjoy now, instead of planning ahead for a better life in the future.

I am planning to return to the UK shortly but in all honesty I do worry about going from a very happy, upbeat and cheerful environment here, much as it frustrates me sometimes, to the current mood of gloom in the UK. There again, I can choose when I head back there so time is on my side.

In answer to the question though, I'm glad I didn't have a crystal ball or I wouldn't have made this life journey. Now that I have, 5 years down the track I don't regret it. I'm able to see past the basic blandness that Australia sometimes projects through to the growing cultural influences of Asia, which are part of Australian life.
I love the fact that I've had this experience of Asia whilst being in a safe, English speaking and modern environment.

I've had to really work on keeping an open mind and I've had to side step my own prejudice so I didn't ruin my own enjoyment of being here. 5 years on, I have a fantastic life, bigger perception, more tolerance, more patience and more appreciation of just being here on planet earth.

I believe that had I not gone through a lot of tough times beforehand, and being in Australia some things can be excruciatingly frustrating, I would not have this new outlook. I have loved every minute of being exposed to the Asian culture and influence mostly because when I first came here, I had to find something I liked or face going insane.
I delved into Thai cuisine, Balinese art, Chinese culture and history, Japanese health fads, and I loved it.

So no, I don't regret anything and I'm glad I didn't ask Gypsy Rose whether coming here was a good or bad idea.
I think if Australia can promote it's
Old Mar 9th 2009, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishRose15
I am new to this forum, I can't tell you how nice it is to know that I am not alone! I have lived in Aus for almost 14 years and my answer to the question would be... NO, NO, NO!
I did not come for myself, but for my husband who is English, but has a daughter here from his first marriage, and we came so that he could be with her while she was at school, she is now 25 and married and we are still here! My advice would be, if you don't settle and love it within 2 years, don't hang around thinking it will get better... I truely believe, some of us are able to live on the otherside of the world and love it and others just aren't. So if you are in the second category, - go while you still can.
We are still wanting to go home, but it's true the longer you leave it the harder it gets, and I feel like crying over all the time that I have wasted being miserable on the other side of the world from my family and friends. Never underestimate the ties you have to your place of birth and all that goes with it.
xx
Good Post EnglishRose - I can very much relate to what you say.
I do hope however, that you have gained something positive out of your experience of living in Australia, such as a greater understanding of yourself. Moving somewhere to fulfill another person's dreams is a big ask and not a decision to be taken lightly.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

EnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
Good Post EnglishRose - I can very much relate to what you say.
I do hope however, that you have gained something positive out of your experience of living in Australia, such as a greater understanding of yourself. Moving somewhere to fulfill another person's dreams is a big ask and not a decision to be taken lightly.
Thanks Merseygirl,
When I read a few of your posts, I had a feeling we may have a lot in common. The only trouble is, being on this forum only makes me want to make the move even more! Living in Aus, I hope I have learned patience and have certainly learned to be adaptable. Now I am learning to put myself first, and have the courage to do what should have been done a long time ago!.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.