British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   If you were over 50.......... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/if-you-were-over-50-a-730453/)

J.J Sep 1st 2011 2:23 am

Re: If you were over 50..........

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9594312)
Different perspectives.. I think of Norfolk as way north, almost Yorkshire, being from Kent & Devon!!

I don't know Norfolk very well. Been to Norwich a couple of times, and I went on a week's cycle tour of north Norfolk once. It recently occurred to me that, as I get older, Norfolk has one major advantage over (say) Devon. I love walking and cycling, and the steep up and down hills of most of England are hard on old folk. In Norfolk I could still go for miles without flaking out.

Sorry, too late , Norfolk is full, or at least the coast is ;) Coastal villages are becoming second home deserts, one village is known as Chelsea-on-Sea. Coastal prices elevated to suit the invaders and fancy-dancy restaurant pubs run by tv chefs. Roll on Q4 when they all bugger off.
Inland is OK all year though, most invaders just stream to and from the coast.
Hikers are challenged by no greater height than a gentle 338 ft above sea-level on the spoilt-for-choice public footpaths but there are sufficient hills to provide nice panoramas.

robin1234 Sep 1st 2011 3:09 am

Originally Posted by J.J (Post 9594501)
Sorry, too late , Norfolk is full, or at least the coast is ;) Coastal villages are becoming second home deserts, one village is known as Chelsea-on-Sea. Coastal prices elevated to suit the invaders and fancy-dancy restaurant pubs run by tv chefs. Roll on Q4 when they all bugger off.
Inland is OK all year though, most invaders just stream to and from the coast.
Hikers are challenged by no greater height than a gentle 338 ft above sea-level on the spoilt-for-choice public footpaths but there are sufficient hills to provide nice panoramas.

I've looked at Cromer, for instance, and prices seem pretty reasonable there. (And I'm not talking about those nice chalets in Kings Chalet Park that go for £46,000 or thereabouts ... but you have to find somewhere else to live between November & March.)

Squirrel Sep 1st 2011 3:16 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9594615)
I've looked at Cromer, for instance, and prices seem pretty reasonable there. (And I'm not talking about those nice chalets in Kings Chalet Park that go for £46,000 or thereabouts ... but you have to find somewhere else to live between November & March.)

What about Sheringham?

robin1234 Sep 1st 2011 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9594633)
What about Sheringham?

Yup, there too. Rightmove has plenty of places there including (for instance) a "A two bedroom terraced Victorian cottage in need of some modernisation and located just a short walk from the town centre and sea front" for £140,000. It does have a 1970s era swirly-pattern carpet, but I'm not looking for perfection!!

Celticspirit Sep 1st 2011 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9588809)
footloose and fancy free where would you live in the whole of the UK if you could, no not somewhere for a 2 week holiday, but where you would actually want to live, climate, things of interest, ease of getting to places...........

I am not talking like other threads of where you can AFFORD to buy a property but am looking at moving on from the North of England, as much as I love the people the weather really is not great.......I am looking to work and rent somewhere other than here............so I welcome all points of view.........good and bad...........

I know Northern Irelad has terrible weather but being close to family is the most important factor for me. That is my reason for returning. Good Luck with your move prospective move.

robin1234 Sep 2nd 2011 3:22 am

Still thinking about Norfolk, what is it with Great Yarmouth? I've never been there. I imagine that, like a lot of larger towns including seaside towns, it has not-nice areas, ASBO issues, possible neighbours-from-hell etc.

But it looks like it has a lot going for it. Railway service to Norwich. Interesting town centre and old buildings. Access to Norfolk broads and other outdoor stuff, walking, cycling, beaches etc. Offshore windfarm which looks spectacular. And yet property prices look incredibly low! Very nice looking houses for 150 or so, decent looking terraced houses for as little as 75K.

I was looking at Gorleston too.

J.J Sep 2nd 2011 4:02 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9596552)
Still thinking about Norfolk, what is it with Great Yarmouth? I've never been there. I imagine that, like a lot of larger towns including seaside towns, it has not-nice areas, ASBO issues, possible neighbours-from-hell etc.

But it looks like it has a lot going for it. Railway service to Norwich. Interesting town centre and old buildings. Access to Norfolk broads and other outdoor stuff, walking, cycling, beaches etc. Offshore windfarm which looks spectacular. And yet property prices look incredibly low! Very nice looking houses for 150 or so, decent looking terraced houses for as little as 75K.

I was looking at Gorleston too.

As you say, in theory Gt. Yarmouth should have a lot going for it. I've not visited for many years,
I only have a second hand insight comment, friends said recently they didn't like it.
But i took a tour courtesy of Google Street view and it looked OK, new construction, shops, the seafront promenade looks well maintained. We will take a trip there sometime, it's on the list. We got engaged in Gorleston.

Bevm Sep 4th 2011 11:53 pm

The Met Office map is very interesting, but it's up to 2000, and the climate has changed, as we've all seen. This is partly to do with the shift in the Gulf Stream, which isn't warming the west and central Britain as it used to.

You can see recent change here.
http://www.exactaweather.com/uploads/ukwword1.pdf

The West Country will continue to be milder, but not as balmy as in the past, as we can see around here from the number of palm trees that are dead or worse for wear.

Bev

bandrui Sep 5th 2011 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 9601426)
The Met Office map is very interesting, but it's up to 2000, and the climate has changed, as we've all seen. This is partly to do with the shift in the Gulf Stream, which isn't warming the west and central Britain as it used to.

You can see recent change here.
http://www.exactaweather.com/uploads/ukwword1.pdf

The West Country will continue to be milder, but not as balmy as in the past, as we can see around here from the number of palm trees that are dead or worse for wear.

Bev

Bev, thanks for the interesting link. Yes, the met office map is only for data to 2000 but still gives some general comparisons and even though weather is changing, it is a slow gradual change though there may be some anomalies form time to time as we have seen with increased weather events.

BEVS Sep 15th 2011 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Englishman43 (Post 9589052)
50 & single ? Bournemouth - close to a couple of ferry ports / airports , only a couple hours train / car to London.

Good bit of nightlife, right by the water, next to the New Forest & Southwest ( lovely countryside ) .

I give it two thumbs up :thumbsup:

I'd actually move back to Lymington / New Milton area but might be a bit quite if you're a single person.

I give it the thumbs up also. Born and bred Bmth girl but moved from there at the age of .....50 .... to come live here in New Zealand. What a fool.

Sally Redux Sep 17th 2011 5:07 am

Just wondering, has anyone heard from Elvira?

Englishmum Sep 18th 2011 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9627383)
Just wondering, has anyone heard from Elvira?

I believe she moved back to London in late August? I know her spouse is continuing to work in California and I guess they will both be doing long-distance commuting for the next couple of years or more.