Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

If you were over 50..........

If you were over 50..........

Old Aug 30th 2011, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you were over 50..........

Originally Posted by Bevm
Well, we tried the north -- Whitby -- and we found the climate a bit too cold and the winter days a bit too short, though the sunrises and sunsets were magnificent.

We've settled in Dawlish and though the summer hasn't been great here either, the extra couple of degrees most days, and that extra 30 mins or so of daylight in winter really do make a difference. There's a train station and decent local buses, but I agree Bournemouth would have a lot more. We didn't want a city, and on a short visit, we weren't too taken by the centre, but each to their own,

Bev
I hear what you're saying about the north, its definitely colder up there during the winter but I'm used to 6 months of ice and snow and temps down to -40C so it all feels like a heatwave to me at the moment. I know what you mean about smaller communities though, definitely nicer
Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:40 pm

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I have a particular type of job in mind that has residential vacancies in some of the nicest parts of this beautiful country of ours.
Good luck then with finding a spot in one of your choices of places to live.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:43 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Well, we tried the north -- Whitby -- and we found the climate a bit too cold and the winter days a bit too short, though the sunrises and sunsets were magnificent.
I can definitely understand this if you came from somewhere warm. But I've spent the last 22 years in Canada and the North East of the US, so northern UK winters seem quite pleasant. I won't have to dig myself out of 2 feet of snow on a regular basis. And I won't find that for 4 months of the year, I barely leave the house.

Whitby is colder than most of the North though - the East is colder than the West, and if you add in being right on the coast, you definitely get a chill that you wouldn't find in, say, Ulverston on the West Coast.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Dorset somewhere near Sherbourne, Dorset has the most sun in England and also no motorways and homes seems to be more character than new. 45 mins from the Channel Islands by Air. Not industrialised.
Downsides:
Living with Southerners...lol...joking
lack of Motorways might make journeys longer
If you like large Cities to visit Dorset does not have a lot
If you like new homes you could have to search harder for those.

Good luck with your search
Sold to the woman in Canada!
I was interested enough to check their website:
http://www.sherbornetown.com/
Looks as though there are some good events around there too.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I would post my trusty weather map again. It is interactive so you can look by month or type of weather by clicking the items on the left:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/...ukmapavge.html
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:24 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Thought I would post my trusty weather map again. It is interactive so you can look by month or type of weather by clicking the items on the left:

Thanks Linda, that is REALLY useful!!
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:31 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
A little pricey but would pick Brighton for it's openess,tolerence, vibe and live let live philosphy.

Worthing down the road not quite in the same league but more affordable and close enough to make frequent trips to Brighton.

Bourmouth a pretty decent place would come next but a lot of Dorest I find rather nice but would choose to be near to the sea.

Cornwall, great county if a little remote perhaps. Perhaps a little insular but who couldn't love Cornwall.

You seem to have a lot of local knowledge.

What about Hove?

I see it is quite near Brighton, and much as I love tackiness like Blackpool for the nostalgic kick I get I don't actually want to live there LOL!
Old Sep 1st 2011, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sold to the woman in Canada!
I was interested enough to check their website:
http://www.sherbornetown.com/
Looks as though there are some good events around there too.
Just one of the many not so well known touristy towns.....lol....planning a trip sometime in December....would love to see it at that time of year.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:11 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting to see how warmer temps correlate with wetter weather in the UK. Here's the rainfall map and you can see that the West side of the country, which tends to be warmer, is also wetter from top to bottom.

It looks like the best options for dry and warm are probably in the south east. Norfolk looks more and more appealing - I wish it wasn't all the way down there

Mind you, according to that map Chester is both dry and warm - isn't that near where you are now Bee?

I think it's important to remember that 'dry' and 'warm' are relative terms. Anywhere in England is still damper and much much colder than where you were before. It would be a shame to make such a big move and then find it's not all that much warmer in the new place but now you're miles from your family.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Sep 1st 2011 at 12:15 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Different perspectives.. I think of Norfolk as way north, almost Yorkshire, being from Kent & Devon!!

I don't know Norfolk very well. Been to Norwich a couple of times, and I went on a week's cycle tour of north Norfolk once. It recently occurred to me that, as I get older, Norfolk has one major advantage over (say) Devon. I love walking and cycling, and the steep up and down hills of most of England are hard on old folk. In Norfolk I could still go for miles without flaking out.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:23 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by robin1234
Different perspectives.. I think of Norfolk as way north, almost Yorkshire, being from Kent & Devon!!

I don't know Norfolk very well. Been to Norwich a couple of times, and I went on a week's cycle tour of north Norfolk once. It recently occurred to me that, as I get older, Norfolk has one major advantage over (say) Devon. I love walking and cycling, and the steep up and down hills of most of England are hard on old folk. In Norfolk I could still go for miles without flaking out.
Sorry, too late , Norfolk is full, or at least the coast is Coastal villages are becoming second home deserts, one village is known as Chelsea-on-Sea. Coastal prices elevated to suit the invaders and fancy-dancy restaurant pubs run by tv chefs. Roll on Q4 when they all bugger off.
Inland is OK all year though, most invaders just stream to and from the coast.
Hikers are challenged by no greater height than a gentle 338 ft above sea-level on the spoilt-for-choice public footpaths but there are sufficient hills to provide nice panoramas.

Last edited by J.J; Sep 1st 2011 at 2:26 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
Sorry, too late , Norfolk is full, or at least the coast is Coastal villages are becoming second home deserts, one village is known as Chelsea-on-Sea. Coastal prices elevated to suit the invaders and fancy-dancy restaurant pubs run by tv chefs. Roll on Q4 when they all bugger off.
Inland is OK all year though, most invaders just stream to and from the coast.
Hikers are challenged by no greater height than a gentle 338 ft above sea-level on the spoilt-for-choice public footpaths but there are sufficient hills to provide nice panoramas.
I've looked at Cromer, for instance, and prices seem pretty reasonable there. (And I'm not talking about those nice chalets in Kings Chalet Park that go for £46,000 or thereabouts ... but you have to find somewhere else to live between November & March.)
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:16 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
I've looked at Cromer, for instance, and prices seem pretty reasonable there. (And I'm not talking about those nice chalets in Kings Chalet Park that go for £46,000 or thereabouts ... but you have to find somewhere else to live between November & March.)
What about Sheringham?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Squirrel
What about Sheringham?
Yup, there too. Rightmove has plenty of places there including (for instance) a "A two bedroom terraced Victorian cottage in need of some modernisation and located just a short walk from the town centre and sea front" for £140,000. It does have a 1970s era swirly-pattern carpet, but I'm not looking for perfection!!
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
footloose and fancy free where would you live in the whole of the UK if you could, no not somewhere for a 2 week holiday, but where you would actually want to live, climate, things of interest, ease of getting to places...........

I am not talking like other threads of where you can AFFORD to buy a property but am looking at moving on from the North of England, as much as I love the people the weather really is not great.......I am looking to work and rent somewhere other than here............so I welcome all points of view.........good and bad...........
I know Northern Irelad has terrible weather but being close to family is the most important factor for me. That is my reason for returning. Good Luck with your move prospective move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.