British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   If you could have a 'time' holiday? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/if-you-could-have-time-holiday-743255/)

Squirrel Dec 30th 2011 4:43 am

If you could have a 'time' holiday?

If you could go back in time for 2 weeks, which era would you most want to visit?

For me it'd be the 1400s, the Renaissence. Such an exciting period, new places being discovered, classic works of art being created, and it was just more sophisticated than earlier medieval periods (eg glasses had been invented, they had water pumps rather than just wells, proper windows rather than shutters etc).

I love the clothes from that time too, beautiful dresses and I think DH's legs would look good in hose :p

Karrie72 Dec 30th 2011 4:54 am

Re: If you could have a 'time' holiday?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Henry the 8th court when he was married to Anne Boleyn. I've always been fascinated with that era but I'm not sure I could wear one of those dresses though, they're a tad revealing of the chest area!

goldenstate31 Dec 30th 2011 4:57 am

Colonial New England! (ok not that old but all those ruffels and tights)
(oh and house with a porch)

lansbury Dec 30th 2011 5:34 am

England summer of 1940

Octang Frye Dec 30th 2011 5:39 am

What do you mean 'if'? 1920s/30s is the time I visit most frequently.

http://eddie.niese.net/images/timetravel.jpg

Egg and Cress Dec 30th 2011 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9811883)
If you could go back in time for 2 weeks, which era would you most want to visit?

For me it'd be the 1400s, the Renaissence. Such an exciting period, new places being discovered, classic works of art being created, and it was just more sophisticated than earlier medieval periods (eg glasses had been invented, they had water pumps rather than just wells, proper windows rather than shutters etc).

I love the clothes from that time too, beautiful dresses and I think DH's legs would look good in hose :p

Oh, but think of the stench! They didn't believe in bathing back then, did they?
Eeewwwwww! :eek:

Sally Redux Dec 30th 2011 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9811883)

Yes that does sound interesting...or Roman times...or something like the time of the Druids, about which virtually nothing is known. Would we get a Dr Who translator though? :lol:

kimilseung Dec 30th 2011 6:25 am

When the drumlins at the head of Ennerdale in the Lakes were being formed. I'll want to take a coat.

SarahG Dec 30th 2011 6:48 am

I'd go back to whenever it was that Justin Biebers parents met and I would stop it from ever happening.

SultanOfSwing Dec 30th 2011 7:05 am

1997. Best bloody year of my life, that was ...

Trixie_b Dec 30th 2011 7:21 am

I'd probably want to go forward in time.... lets say 100 years

But maybe the 1920's/30's or even 1960's (obviously knowing what I know now!)

Lola-Monmouth Dec 30th 2011 7:36 am

The court of Charles the Second of England. There is something about men with frills and long hair casually leaning on a cane which attracts me.......:D

Or February 1969.

Squirrel Dec 30th 2011 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress (Post 9811999)
Oh, but think of the stench! They didn't believe in bathing back then, did they?
Eeewwwwww! :eek:

I think that's one of those clichés that is not really true. They certainly didn't bathe very often in the early middle ages, though some did, notably Richard II was considered odd because he had a bath every day. But during the Renaissence period wealthier people probably did bathe, probably not more but not less than in say the Victorian times. Filling a wooden tub with water that had to be heated on a fire or medieval stove was a bit of a chore. Then again, if you were rich you probably wouldn't care 'cos the servants did all the work. So frequency of bathing was probably dependant on wealth and status. However I'd guess that merchant classes would bathe at least weekly. Which doesn't seem enough to us but is certainly more than never! The poor probably did smell a bit though as they got the chance to bathe less and sweated a lot more!

Sarah Dec 30th 2011 8:07 am

predictably I'd want to go back 2 weeks and buy lottery tickets that I already knew the winning numbers for.

Other than that. I'd like to go back to London in the 1800's just to have a look at how it was.

Sarah Dec 30th 2011 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9812161)
I think that's one of those clichés that is not really true. They certainly didn't bathe very often in the early middle ages, though some did, notably Richard II was considered odd because he had a bath every day. But during the Renaissence period wealthier people probably did bathe, probably not more but not less than in say the Victorian times. Filling a wooden tub with water that had to be heated on a fire or medieval stove was a bit of a chore. Then again, if you were rich you probably wouldn't care 'cos the servants did all the work. So frequency of bathing was probably dependant on wealth and status. However I'd guess that merchant classes would bathe at least weekly. Which doesn't seem enough to us but is certainly more than never! The poor probably did smell a bit though as they got the chance to bathe less and sweated a lot more!

Isn't there a theory that people back then didn't smell because of enormously fewer amount of toxins in food? I remember reading one womans encounter with an aboriginal tribe who she said never had BO or smelt bad at all, depsite only washing once every other week or so.