Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

If you could have a 'time' holiday?

Wikiposts

If you could have a 'time' holiday?

Old Dec 30th 2011, 4:43 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If you could have a 'time' holiday?

If you could go back in time for 2 weeks, which era would you most want to visit?

For me it'd be the 1400s, the Renaissence. Such an exciting period, new places being discovered, classic works of art being created, and it was just more sophisticated than earlier medieval periods (eg glasses had been invented, they had water pumps rather than just wells, proper windows rather than shutters etc).

I love the clothes from that time too, beautiful dresses and I think DH's legs would look good in hose
Old Dec 30th 2011, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could have a 'time' holiday?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Henry the 8th court when he was married to Anne Boleyn. I've always been fascinated with that era but I'm not sure I could wear one of those dresses though, they're a tad revealing of the chest area!
Old Dec 30th 2011, 4:57 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Colonial New England! (ok not that old but all those ruffels and tights)
(oh and house with a porch)
Old Dec 30th 2011, 5:34 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

England summer of 1940
Old Dec 30th 2011, 5:39 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean 'if'? 1920s/30s is the time I visit most frequently.

Old Dec 30th 2011, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Squirrel
If you could go back in time for 2 weeks, which era would you most want to visit?

For me it'd be the 1400s, the Renaissence. Such an exciting period, new places being discovered, classic works of art being created, and it was just more sophisticated than earlier medieval periods (eg glasses had been invented, they had water pumps rather than just wells, proper windows rather than shutters etc).

I love the clothes from that time too, beautiful dresses and I think DH's legs would look good in hose
Oh, but think of the stench! They didn't believe in bathing back then, did they?
Eeewwwwww!
Old Dec 30th 2011, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that does sound interesting...or Roman times...or something like the time of the Druids, about which virtually nothing is known. Would we get a Dr Who translator though?
Old Dec 30th 2011, 6:25 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

When the drumlins at the head of Ennerdale in the Lakes were being formed. I'll want to take a coat.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go back to whenever it was that Justin Biebers parents met and I would stop it from ever happening.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 7:05 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

1997. Best bloody year of my life, that was ...
Old Dec 30th 2011, 7:21 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I'd probably want to go forward in time.... lets say 100 years

But maybe the 1920's/30's or even 1960's (obviously knowing what I know now!)
Old Dec 30th 2011, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

The court of Charles the Second of England. There is something about men with frills and long hair casually leaning on a cane which attracts me.......

Or February 1969.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 7:58 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Oh, but think of the stench! They didn't believe in bathing back then, did they?
Eeewwwwww!
I think that's one of those clichés that is not really true. They certainly didn't bathe very often in the early middle ages, though some did, notably Richard II was considered odd because he had a bath every day. But during the Renaissence period wealthier people probably did bathe, probably not more but not less than in say the Victorian times. Filling a wooden tub with water that had to be heated on a fire or medieval stove was a bit of a chore. Then again, if you were rich you probably wouldn't care 'cos the servants did all the work. So frequency of bathing was probably dependant on wealth and status. However I'd guess that merchant classes would bathe at least weekly. Which doesn't seem enough to us but is certainly more than never! The poor probably did smell a bit though as they got the chance to bathe less and sweated a lot more!
Old Dec 30th 2011, 8:07 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

predictably I'd want to go back 2 weeks and buy lottery tickets that I already knew the winning numbers for.

Other than that. I'd like to go back to London in the 1800's just to have a look at how it was.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 8:12 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's one of those clichés that is not really true. They certainly didn't bathe very often in the early middle ages, though some did, notably Richard II was considered odd because he had a bath every day. But during the Renaissence period wealthier people probably did bathe, probably not more but not less than in say the Victorian times. Filling a wooden tub with water that had to be heated on a fire or medieval stove was a bit of a chore. Then again, if you were rich you probably wouldn't care 'cos the servants did all the work. So frequency of bathing was probably dependant on wealth and status. However I'd guess that merchant classes would bathe at least weekly. Which doesn't seem enough to us but is certainly more than never! The poor probably did smell a bit though as they got the chance to bathe less and sweated a lot more!
Isn't there a theory that people back then didn't smell because of enormously fewer amount of toxins in food? I remember reading one womans encounter with an aboriginal tribe who she said never had BO or smelt bad at all, depsite only washing once every other week or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.