Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

If I had to go back to OZ tomorrow..

If I had to go back to OZ tomorrow..

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 9:16 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default If I had to go back to OZ tomorrow..

If I had to go back to OZ tomorrow I would SCREAM.....:scared:

Well, we've been back in the UK two weeks tomorrow and before we left Perth lots of people said,

'Why don't you just go back for a holiday, see what you think, I bet you'll want to come back'?

Well I can honestly say, hand on heart that if I had to go back it would be a nightmare. Everything is as laid back here as Perth, if you want it to be it can be.

The weather has been good until today but who cares about the rain when you have good family members around. Who cares about the house prices when you can 'pop' over to visit best friends who know you for who you are, ones that you've grown up with.

Everything is as it was and for us that wasn't bad. OK we've got to work hard to pay for a bigger mortgage but work is hard in OZ too.

So for anyone who's thinking about coming back, do it. We've no regrets at all about being home. When we landed at Perth I felt instant dread, when we landed in the UK I felt overwelmed with relief!!!
Old Jun 24th 2004, 3:34 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: If I had to go back to OZ tomorrow..

Originally posted by janeyray

So for anyone who's thinking about coming back, do it. We've no regrets at all about being home. When we landed at Perth I felt instant dread, when we landed in the UK I felt overwelmed with relief!!!

know what you mean. When I went home for a month recently ,for my grans funeral.. I felt if I was really home, I could have kissed the ground like the pope. I did not want to leave again. When I flew back here to Brissie .. I thought oh my gawd, why on earth are we here, what on earth am I doing in this god forsaken place??? I miss my home, my beautiful land , my family, my normality.

I still can't really answer that. I could go home tomorrow if I tried, ie I could pack in a week, put things into storage.. leave house with real estate agent to sort out, bugger the job, b*gger everything .. and just fly home immediately.

But me ( and hubby).. we're doing it step by step.. The funny thing is if I had to go home immediately, like tomorrow, I would, I could. .. if it was to look after a parent ( which is inevitable for one of them - hubby's father). he lives on his own, has had a stroke a few years back ( he recovered), but the rest of his family ( ie my hubby's siblings ) don't really give him much time, only when they need money from him that is (he's loaded) ! And his wife (my mum-in-law, who's separated from him ) doesn't really give a sh*t about him. So it will be down to myself and hubby to take him in ( we've tried getting him out here, but he is so stubborn, he really is scared of flying - but that is just an excuse for being scared of venturing out)

He really is a dear man, rough around the edges, but easily hurt.I have all the time in the world for him- he has always put his family's need first before himself , but they don't want to give out to him , only take from him- it really isn't fair.

Never look back Jayneyray, you sound as if you are where you belong - Home

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 24th 2004 at 3:40 am.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default If I had to go back to OZ tomorrow...

....they'd have to find me first
Old Jun 24th 2004, 6:47 am
wombat42

If l was a Judge and any of you were found guilty of an offence my sentence would be: " l hereby sentence you to transportation
to Australia for the term of your natural life'

Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:24 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by wombat42
If l was a Judge and any of you were found guilty of an offence my sentence would be: " l hereby sentence you to transportation

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:35 am
kong

Originally posted by wombat42
200 years late for that my colonial chum.

These day green poms, brainwashed by yet another "Get a new lfe in the sun" TV show, pack up their comfortable lives in the UK, pay thousands of dollars for the privilage of filling out DIMIA forms, only to find a boring, isolated, boiling backwater with low wages and a high cost of living!!

The British media, especially the Daily Mail have a lot to answer to, when it comes to the Brits perception of our own and forgein countries.

Still, in Oz they are all happy little vegemites as all the Aus media reports is,

Aus win sport over poms

Aus is the greatest place in the world Godzone

Everyone in the world loves us and wants to live here

Sport, we won!!

Sport, we won!!

Sport, we won!!!

Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If I had to go back to OZ tomorrow..

Originally posted by janeyray
If I had to go back to OZ tomorrow I would SCREAM.....:scared:
hey Jane, it's all happening in Melbourne..............what do you mean you wouldn't want to go to the Scarf Capital of Australia ...............

(from this week's Herald Sun):
"MELBOURNE is sticking its neck out to become the scarf capital of the nation.

The State Government and city council are sponsoring a three-day festival this week, Thursday to Saturday, celebrating scarfs.

More than 600 scarfs will vie for awards, including most outrageous and most inspiring use of stripes.

Craft Victoria director Kevin Murray said scarfs were an integral part of Melbourne fashion and style.

"Barry Humphries is famous for his scarfs . . . they're an object that seems particular to our city. It's a winter ritual at the footy . . . I think there'd be no doubt we're the scarf capital," he said."

Barry Humphries, Melbourne style icon, eh! I can't imagine why I left
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:58 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by kong

These day green poms, brainwashed by yet another "Get a new lfe in the sun" TV show, pack up their comfortable lives in the UK, pay thousands of dollars for the privilage of filling out DIMIA forms, only to find a boring, isolated, boiling backwater with low wages and a high cost of living!!

The British media, especially the Daily Mail have a lot to answer to, when it comes to the Brits perception of our own and forgein countries.

Still, in Oz they are all happy little vegemites as all the Aus media reports is,

Aus win sport over poms

Sport, we won!!

Sport, we won!!

Sport, we won!!!
Have you considered moving permanently to the darkside, their Omnipotencenesses are always on the lookout for fresh blood.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 7:29 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice
Default Re: If I had to go back to OZ tomorrow...

Originally posted by MikeStanton
....they'd have to find me first

Me too!!
Old Jun 26th 2004, 3:30 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kong

Aus win sport over poms

Sport, we won!!

Sport, we won!!

Sport, we won!!!
But kong, my hairy palmed friend, you,ve still got TIM "i can,t win abloody thing "HENMAN AND of course your SOCCER team chokers...................... MM ps no wonder you don,t like sport
Old Jun 26th 2004, 9:26 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

This post shows the problem for people living in Australia as they only see negative reporting of english events so come across as very misinformed. For information, whilst sport is'nt the be all and end all of life in england, current achievements are actually fairly respectable.

Tennis - Tim Henman - currently ranked 6th in the World and won the 2003 Paris Masters and placed highly in other recent events.

Cricket - ranked 6th in the world - although recently completed resounding test series wins against West Indies (ranked 5th) and New Zealand (ranked 2nd).

Rugby Union - ranked 2nd in the world - current World Champions (despite the ref playing for australia in the final).

Football - ranked 13th in the world - just knocked out of the semi-finals of the euro champs after some stunning and exciting games.

Overall, not to bad is it. Just for a laugh have a look at Australian world rankings on the FIFA football site. 49th I think just behind the likes of Mali, Zimbabwe and Iraq ! And they are still moaning about having to play the big tough teams like Iran which prevents them from playing in the world cup. Dear dear dear.

The world gaelic football ranking though would surely feature Australia highly.

Originally posted by mr mover
But kong, my hairy palmed friend, you,ve still got TIM "i can,t win abloody thing "HENMAN AND of course your SOCCER team chokers...................... MM ps no wonder you don,t like sport
Old Jun 26th 2004, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dugongs
This post shows the problem for people living in Australia as they only see negative reporting of english events so come across as very misinformed. For information, whilst sport is'nt the be all and end all of life in england, current achievements are actually fairly respectable.
Talking of sport, and that game between England and Portugal, I was cheered-up when I saw France being beaten by Greece yesterday.

Of course, I do think the Swiss ref in the Portugal vs England match made some very bad/wrong decisions. And it seems that this view is shared by some other Internet users:
Attached Thumbnails If I had to go back to OZ tomorrow..-wotref.gif  
Old Jun 26th 2004, 11:48 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Thought sport was for the playing.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 1:05 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

will you feel the same in 12mths ?

plum
Old Jun 26th 2004, 9:35 pm
wombat42

Originally posted by dugongs

Tennis - Tim Henman - currently ranked 6th in the World and won the 2003 Paris Masters and placed highly in other recent events.

Cricket - ranked 6th in the world - although recently completed resounding test series wins against West Indies (ranked 5th) and New Zealand (ranked 2nd).

Rugby Union - ranked 2nd in the world - current World Champions (despite the ref playing for australia in the final).

Football - ranked 13th in the world - just knocked out of the semi-finals of the euro champs after some stunning and exciting games.

Overall, not to bad is it. Just for a laugh have a look at Australian world rankings on the FIFA football site. 49th I think just behind the likes of Mali, Zimbabwe and Iraq ! And they are still moaning about having to play the big tough teams like Iran which prevents them from playing in the world cup. Dear dear dear.

The world gaelic football ranking though would surely feature Australia highly.
Tim Henman is no where near as good as recent Australian Tennis players such as Pat Rafter or Lleyton Hewitt, both of which have been ranked 'world number one' during their careers. Unlike Hewitt,
Henman seems to be incapable of winning the big one, Wimbledon or even make it to the finals.
Considering the size of your population you should be ranked alot higher then 6th in the world at cricket and should be able to beat smaller countries such as New Zealand and West indies.
Everytime you come up against Australia in the Ashes you are totally anniliated, did'nt you loose 5/0 or 5/1 last time.
The only reason Australia is no good at soccer is because the game is not a national sport and is hardly played in Australia,
instead we play AFL and Rugby, if soocer was a national sport l am sure we would be in the top five in the world.
In the last Olympic games Australia came 4th in the medal tally
almost equal to China with a population of 1 billion while the Uk
came 10th behind countries with smaller populations such as Cuba.

Last edited by wombat42; Jun 26th 2004 at 9:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.