Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Ideas for first visit to UK

Ideas for first visit to UK

Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

petersmall will become famous soon enough
Default Ideas for first visit to UK

My Wife and I are flying to the UK for Christmas, it is not only her first visit to the UK but also her first time outside of the US, any good ideas on where to take her or what to do.

We will be staying in deepest Somerset but have the use of my Mums car (Nissan Micra so that will be a shock to the wife for starters!!), we have a couple of days planned for London at the end of the trip and we will be visiting Portsmouth, my old stomping ground, but I am trying to think of anything else we can do that will give her a good impression of dear old Blighty. Dont want to spend days driving though as that seems a waste of time.

Any thoughts/ideas?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:35 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ideas for first visit to UK

What does she enjoy doing? Is she interested in British History, Cathedrals? Anything like that?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:46 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Stonehenge? Lands End (but a bit too touristy last time I went)? Bath?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Since National Trust properties will be closed for the season, how about Wells Cathedral and a walk around Bath? Either that or just show her the Nissan Micra, probably be enough of a foreign experience..

A country walk and a visit to a well-chosen pub..
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you're in London, might be a nice side trip to Windsor, see the park and nip down to Egham and catch a view of London from the Thames at the RAF memorial for commonwealth pilots who don't have a grave.

Then down the other side of the hill, there's the Magna Carta thing with a nice, or was nice tea shop.

Possibly stop by Oxford on the way to the coast?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
Stonehenge? Lands End (but a bit too touristy last time I went)? Bath?
I second those, as you'll be in Somerset. Also Avebury - larger than Stonehenge and you can actually walk up to and around the stones (and sheep shit) for free. The thermal spa in Bath gets good reviews.

Find a decent cider farm and get her sozzled?

Cheddar Gorge caves? Couple of decades since I last went, but drove past a couple of times more recently. Might be too touristy and gimmicky by now.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

If the rains re-start, wellington boots or even waders might be an idea, if what my parents in Yeovil say is anything to go by

Cheddar Gorge is a nice drive - depending on where in Zummerzet you'll be, it could even part of the route to or from Bath.

Chesil Beach? Jurassic coast? Cerne Abbas giant to show her a big *cough* Corfe Castle? Dunster Castle? West Somerset steam railway?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

TangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really nice

Why not head down to Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park? If you're going to be here for New Years, then possibly the fireworks? It all depends on what you're interested in.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
If the rains re-start, wellington boots or even waders might be an idea, if what my parents in Yeovil say is anything to go by

Cheddar Gorge is a nice drive - depending on where in Zummerzet you'll be, it could even part of the route to or from Bath.

Chesil Beach? Jurassic coast? Cerne Abbas giant to show her a big *cough* Corfe Castle? Dunster Castle? West Somerset steam railway?
And when in Dunster visit the Foresters Arms, the only pub in Dunster with a parrot in the bar. Apparently all it says is "fu¢k off!"

http://fancyapint.com/Pub/dunster/foresters-arms/3743
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I second those, as you'll be in Somerset. Also Avebury - larger than Stonehenge and you can actually walk up to and around the stones (and sheep shit) for free. The thermal spa in Bath gets good reviews.

Find a decent cider farm and get her sozzled?

Cheddar Gorge caves? Couple of decades since I last went, but drove past a couple of times more recently. Might be too touristy and gimmicky by now.
I second Avebury and would also suggest Lacock in Wiltshire, a pretty much untouched medieval/Tudor village (that's appeared in many, many films and TV) and the Westbury White Horse. Also within reach of Somerset are Maiden Castle at Dorchester, Glastonbury, Bristol (lots of heritage stuff there such as the SS Great Britain) and Cardiff (Cardiff Castle, Castell Coch, the arcades for shopping).

If you're going as far as Portsmouth, consider Winchester as well as it is absolutely lovely (I am biased, I lived there for nine years). Also in that area is the Roman fort at Portchester Castle and near to that if you're into things that make loud noises is the artillery museum at Fort Nelson.

If you can get as far as Kent, go to Canterbury which is also lovely, and have lunch or dinner at the best restaurant in England, the Goods Shed next to Canterbury West station (also a superb farmers' market).

Don't forget that whilst a lot of NT / English Heritage places are closed in the winter, many especially the houses and urban sites remain open all year round.

Last edited by rpjs; Nov 27th 2012 at 5:21 pm. Reason: s/Laycock/Lacock/
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

petersmall will become famous soon enough

Thanks, I had not even thought of Bath, she will love that, I will be about 3 miles from Dunster and again had completely forgotten about it!!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Although I agree with many of the recommendations, I'd disregard some of them because of the distance driving in a Micra. Realistically Lands End is too far away just to see a rocky outcrop - the north Devon coast is much closer and IMHO more dramatic, so I recommend a day visiting Boscastle, Tintagel, and maybe Clovelly.

There are plenty of ideas at http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/d...outhwest/devon too.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 27th 2012 at 5:29 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Although I agree with many of the recommendations, I'd disregard some of them because of the distance driving in a Micra. Realistically Lands End is too far away just to see a rocky outcrop - the north Devon coast is much closer and IMHO more dramatic, so I recommend a day visiting Boscastle, Tintagel, and maybe Clovelly.

There are plenty of ideas at http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/d...outhwest/devon too.
Even Clovelly is a long way in a Micra.. how about Lynton and Lynmouth and the Valley of the Rocks?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Even Clovelly is a long way in a Micra.. how about Lynton and Lynmouth and the Valley of the Rocks?
If Clovelly is too far then they're not going to be seeing much because Bath is further, and Plymouth 50% further still. That said the trip to Lynton may be worth it to experience Porlock Hill in a Micra!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Pulaski

If Clovelly is too far then they're not going to be seeing much because Bath is further, and Plymouth 50% further still. That said the trip to Lynton may be worth it to experience Porlock Hill in a Micra!
Stiff drink in the Ship Inn in Porlock then another in the Culbone Stables, would do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.