Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I you could change 3 things about Britain

Wikiposts

I you could change 3 things about Britain

Old Jul 12th 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I you could change 3 things about Britain

Just to clarify, gas prices in the UK are not the highest in Europe. From CNN.com,

Netherlands Amsterdam $6.48
Norway Oslo $6.27
Italy Milan $5.96
Denmark Copenhagen $5.93
Belgium Brussels $5.91
Sweden Stockholm $5.80
United Kingdom London $5.79

We have the highest fuel "taxes" in Europe, but we're not at the top of the league yet in terms of prices. Also, I think the public transport system is very good here - unlike the States where there isn't any! My OH, still back in the US, has no choice but to fill up his car every week to the tune of a couple of hundred dollars now. I haven't driven for nine months, with the exception of going back to the States for a few weeks, and haven't missed it at all. Can't wait to have us both back here with just one car, one set of tax, etc. (And by the way, the car tax here - even when it goes up - will be cheaper than we pay for our cars back in the US).

Also, some of us are actually back here now, so the rose-coloured glasses are off. I've been back nine months, however, and still find the time to take my walks and marvel at the redbreasts, blackbirds singing, etc. What irritates me more than anything is the negativity, which is why I said this is the one thing I want to change. A lot of people here whine a lot about what's going on without realising that things can be a lot worse elsewhere. I've lived with George Bush for the past umpteen years (seems like a lifetime), so if people think Gordon Brown is bad they should try this guy. What a disaster. Friends of ours have seen their house values plummet 40% in the past year thanks to his economic policies, so the 9% in the UK seems mild in comparison.

A couple of other things: fear of crime is a problem, and i admit the knife crime here is worrying, but crime is everywhere. In my neck of the woods in the US - and it is a relatively nice, affluent town, gun crime is so prevalent (and I'm talking four or five times a week) that they don't even bother reporting it on the front page of the paper. It's buried in local news and page 2 or 3 at that. Food prices are going up world wide - this is not just a British problem - and utilities are skyhigh (my OH just paid a $400 gas/electric bill - and that was for the MONTH).

I really do think, as FFF said, that people should try living somewhere else before they moan about the UK. The grass is not always greener.

Last edited by TaraC; Jul 12th 2008 at 7:18 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london cabbie
We are discouraged from being proud to be british,we have been brainwashed into being ashamed of the british empire.They teach a dumbed down version of british history now in schools, how the hell can we be a proud nation? we are not allowed.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle3285615.ece

As for a patriotic St Georges day to celebrate being "British".

This is what was promised.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4611682.stm

And this is what the labour goverment really meant!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2108041/Government-gave-less-than-and163250-to-promoting-St-George's-Day-over-five-years.html

This is half the problem today in Britian...there is NO morale.

This post will prob be deleted as "not being suitable" for moving back to Britian.I am sorry if i burst any-bodys bubble,you guys in all corners of the world dissatisfied with what you got and longing for the green fields of England with ploughmans lunches in picturesque corner of Essex somewhere, fish and chips in newspaper, Robin Redbreasts and Cricket on the village green and the stuff you all read in the Guardian on line.Once the honeymoon period is over and the Squirrels and Robins have welcomed you home,reality kicks in and you have to earn a living and start paying,paying too much for everything,once you get on the treadmill there is little or no time for walks across the fields to the local pub or enjoying Englands green and pleasant land.

Its hard work here just to survive,fuel is prob the most expensive in Europe,we work the longest hours in Europe,we have the highest utility bills in Europe,cctv sends you a £60 ticket if you dare stop for a newspaper, house prices falling, food prices rising, the fear of crime is overwhelming,a government run by a pathetic fat little Scotsman who should never have been given power in the first place.And the fear as a parent that our children might not survive their teens.

But its not all bad i suppose after all in London we have art galleries ,museums and Hyde park!!

But dont let that put you off !!
Still loads better than Australia. Take the moaning blinkers off mate and stop being so pathetically negative, it's a great place with tons of opportunities but burdened with whingers I'm afraid.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Britain is a wonderful, fantastic place, and one of the best places to live in the world!

How do I know that?

I can guarantee that, if everyone in the world was given full knowledge of what life is like in Britain (and I mean all the good and bad things), and asked if they'd rather live there or wherever they do live, then I'm willing to bet every penny I have that well over 80% would say they'd rather be in Britain.

I think the actual percentage may be much higher.

Does anyone honestly think otherwise?
Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:41 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
Britain is a wonderful, fantastic place, and one of the best places to live in the world!

How do I know that?

I can guarantee that, if everyone in the world was given full knowledge of what life is like in Britain (and I mean all the good and bad things), and asked if they'd rather live there or wherever they do live, then I'm willing to bet every penny I have that well over 80% would say they'd rather be in Britain.

For some life isn't better in the UK. Great Britain is a beautiful country but for some people that isn't enough. For us to live in a nice part of the UK my husband has to work away from home and that equals a crap quality of life for my family.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
1. Stop the chav culture.

2. Toughen up the Police force.

3. Lower the price of housing.

Make the 60 million 6 million

Be REALLY really hard on crime

And that the yob culture disappears to be replaced by youths who just want to help others.

Yeah right!! Not holding my breath on any of that lot!!!
Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen

How do I know that?

Yes I do. I echo northernbirds comments. Whilst the UK IS a wonderful place its way too crowded..one of the main reasons I left. Apart from the fact that my neighbourhood was crap and I could not afford in any way to live anywhere 'decent' in my opinion in the UK come 2005.

And anyway where ever you live don't you desreve a change after 45 years? I know if I had it in me I would be screaming to leave NZ after 45 years being here!!!!!!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
For some life isn't better in the UK. Great Britain is a beautiful country but for some people that isn't enough. For us to live in a nice part of the UK my husband has to work away from home and that equals a crap quality of life for my family.
I agree NB. There are so many different factors at play in people's lives that make up their standard of living. Different strokes for different folks and all that!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:25 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
I agree NB. There are so many different factors at play in people's lives that make up their standard of living. Different strokes for different folks and all that!
Absolutely. We could afford to live in a lovely Devonshire village but Paul would either be in London or overseas. We could not afford to live within a decent enough distance of London so that he could be home at the same time he is here. For us no amount of old buildings and better shops can compare with that.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Absolutely. We could afford to live in a lovely Devonshire village but Paul would either be in London or overseas. We could not afford to live within a decent enough distance of London so that he could be home at the same time he is here. For us no amount of old buildings and better shops can compare with that.
Exactly, and family time is more important (in my book anyway). And if I'm honest with myself, even if we were able to go back to UK it would probably be the same for us i.e. myself and OH having to commute to London which would mean an awful lot less family time.

It's not fair, why can't we have everything we want!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis

And that the yob culture disappears to be replaced by youths who just want to help others.

Yeah right!! Not holding my breath on any of that lot!!!
You can breathe now. I just got home from London going through the Underground. The down escalator at Paddington wasn't working, and the woman in front of me was struggling to get her baby in pushchair down the stairs. Just as I was about to offer to help, two "youths" in jeans and hoodies grabbed hold of the front of the pushchair and carried it down the entire stairway (and it was a pretty long way). So yes, youth crime is bad, but the kids of London aren't all bad.

It isn't all perfect by a long shot, but it would be nice to give these kids a bit of a break here!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:30 am
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

well said mate

Carol
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

1 The Government

2 The Immigration

3 The Climate
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TaraC
You can breathe now. I just got home from London going through the Underground. The down escalator at Paddington wasn't working, and the woman in front of me was struggling to get her baby in pushchair down the stairs. Just as I was about to offer to help, two "youths" in jeans and hoodies grabbed hold of the front of the pushchair and carried it down the entire stairway (and it was a pretty long way). So yes, youth crime is bad, but the kids of London aren't all bad.

It isn't all perfect by a long shot, but it would be nice to give these kids a bit of a break here!
Good to hear something positive about British youth for a change. I do know there are many more good young people around too, all over the UK.

The bad ones are a minority. It's just that their behaviour unfortunately attracts more media attention than that of the nice ones.

This helps get things a bit more in perspective again though!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

1...export the whingers

2...britain become more patriotic

3...bring back the stocks for public floggings
Old Jul 13th 2008, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

1. Britain to be proud of itself again instead of putting itself down (though self deprecation is part of the national psyche, it's gone too far!).

2. Stop being so accommodating to every man and his dog! Try and retain a sense of national identity (even though this is somewhat fluid in every country, doesn't need to be eroded entirely). Tolerance is a real strength of Britain as a country but this has become to the detriment of the country.

3. Get rid of welfare culture, foster hope, aspirations and personal responsibility in youth (particularly those from lower socio-economic backgrounds), plus zero tolerance for gang culture which seems to be insidiously creeping into large cities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.