Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I would like to write a book..

Wikiposts

I would like to write a book..

Old Oct 12th 2006, 11:33 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I would like to write a book..

My best friend and I are in the process of writing a book about the countryside and how kids can get more involved. Its got the kind of stuff that kids love in! Lighting fires with sticks, how to trap rabbits and what to look out for when they are out for a walk with their parents. Been a nightmare but hopefully be out by christmas!
Old Oct 12th 2006, 12:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
My best friend and I are in the process of writing a book about the countryside and how kids can get more involved. Its got the kind of stuff that kids love in! Lighting fires with sticks, how to trap rabbits and what to look out for when they are out for a walk with their parents. Been a nightmare but hopefully be out by christmas!
How to trap rabbits?
Old Oct 12th 2006, 12:36 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How to trap rabbits?

Yeah why?
Old Oct 15th 2006, 1:59 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
I have so much time on my hands and always wanted to give it a go.
I would like to write a book for children age 6-12.
I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of books you and your children are interested in..is it animal story's, adventures, fantasy or daily life story's..or anything else...
Do you like short story's better or books...everything would help.

Dont worry...I would write it in German
Great idea. Children's books are just the best. 6-12 is a big range though as it could cover simple fairytales right through to teenage problems already.

Anyhow, in answer to your question, my 6 year old daughter is into reading Horrid Henry by Francesca Simon (that my 5 year old loves even more - but having them read to her at they are beyond her reading level), anything by Madonna (fantastic illustration) and Roald Dahl.

At home, she's currently reading James and the Giant Peach that was from her class group reading at school as well as working through the Horrid Henry set that I ordered online last week. Didn't originally like the idea of these short stories I have to say, but the 6-7 year old kids in my daughter's class find them totally hilarious so I bought some and have been surprised that I actually enjoy reading them myself.

Interestingly she is not into the idea of Harry Potter at all, having found the first 1 or 2 films too scary. Perhaps she will grown into them.

Things like Aesop's Fables and non-fiction books (especially by Usbourne eg books on butterflies, Queen Elizabeth II etc) also adored in this house.

Best of luck.

p.s. Dunroving - idea of kids immigration book is great!
Old Oct 15th 2006, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
A friend of mine is involved as a volunteer at our local special needs school (kids from Gloucester who have suffered various forms of abuse). He regularly takes some of the children out ferretting in the season and they love it. Good for you Matt, I am constantly depressed by how far removed most children are from the realities of eating meat.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dunroving
You know the saying "write about what you know"? Maybe you could write in narrative or diary form the story of a young boy/girl (or brother and sister) who emigrate? You know, all the material is on these boards, all you have to do is draw on your personal experience and people's comments here to come up with all sorts of material about the trials and tribulations (and joys, of course ) of such an experience - saying goodbye to friends and family, selling and leaving your home, the trip to your new home, cultural differences, different language or accent, different food, transport, visits (and having to say goodbye again at the airport), animals (snakes in Oz!), TV, clothes, etc.

I think emigrating can be a very stressful time for children as well as adults. Maybe a book like this would be good for people to buy for their kids to prepare them for emigration.
Yes...it would be a good idea..but, my kids really never emigrated...they got born in a foreign country, but were always surrounded by brits..British friends, British pre school and British school and now we moved to Britain.
We moved a couple times into different countries..but is was never like an emigration..