Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I wonder if this has been asked before

I wonder if this has been asked before

Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice
Default Re: I wonder if this has been asked before

Originally Posted by TruBrit
flea, how about incapacity benefit?.....don't know the rules and regs on that for sure but just an idea.
I believe that you can claim this benefit, but you will need to produce all your documents such as passport, marriage certificate ect, to show that you are staying in the UK and not looking to sponge off the state then return to Sydney. I would give DHS a call, ask for incapacity dept, even better I think you now have to complete a lot of the forms online then they call you for an interview. Incapacity is given to someone whom is prevented from working for a short time. They will ask you about your OH input and what support you get from him. As you had no control over your sickness I am sure this will not go against you. For immigration keep all records of your attempts to secure employment and hospital details, because your condition isn't a life long disability then you will be alright, its just a bit of a set back which you could have done without. Be strong and I wish you all the best
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice

Originally Posted by Archangel
I believe that you can claim this benefit, but you will need to produce all your documents such as passport, marriage certificate ect, to show that you are staying in the UK and not looking to sponge off the state then return to Sydney. I would give DHS a call, ask for incapacity dept, even better I think you now have to complete a lot of the forms online then they call you for an interview. Incapacity is given to someone whom is prevented from working for a short time. They will ask you about your OH input and what support you get from him. As you had no control over your sickness I am sure this will not go against you. For immigration keep all records of your attempts to secure employment and hospital details, because your condition isn't a life long disability then you will be alright, its just a bit of a set back which you could have done without. Be strong and I wish you all the best
Just remembered to claim incapacity benefit you will need a Doctors certificate signing you off work.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:47 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Thanks TB. I will look into that. My problem is that hopefully I will only be sick for another few weeks (fingers crossed) so I am not sure if i would qualify.
The fact i have been out of the country, I do have a husband albeit 12,000 miles away, add to my confusion.
My daugther says, irrespective of any of this, I still need money to survive on and seeing as i have used up most of the money I bought with me due to being off sick and NOT claiming so far means I should be entitled, but i am still not so sure.
Try the following links. They are about the Habitual Residency Test and the Swaddling case.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/housingbenefit..._04b.asp#c_466

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/...10072.xml.html

Hope they help.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:37 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Try the following links. They are about the Habitual Residency Test and the Swaddling case.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/housingbenefit..._04b.asp#c_466

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/...10072.xml.html

Hope they help.

Thank you very much

As usual you guys are a great help. I shall have a look through

I do have a sick note from the doc.

P.S. just as a side issue. I would like to give my G.P. a mention. I am truly stunned at how fantastic he has been through all my illness. Has anyone else had their doc actaully make them a cup of tea in their surgery whilst they waited for the nurse to see them? Mine did last week!! I was stunned
Then today he rang me at my daughters just to see how i am!!
He is is probably in his 60s a bit old school... reminded me of the type of doc you got as a child who did home visits and all sorts of stuff long gone.

Dr Azulay... you are a star!
Old Jul 29th 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Jayzus, Flea!!! You really have been through the wringer
I can't give any advice, but I really, really hope things turn around for you.
So, sending lots of love.

sue
xxx

No more scrabulous for us US folk, it's been taken off facebook.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

I think you need to have paid enough National Insurance contributions to qualify for Incapacity Benefit but if you phone up the DSS they will be able to tell you what you can claim. You could also visit the Citizens Advice Bureau. You have to go there in person though, they don't take phone calls.
Hope things get sorted for you.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Flea, life's a bitch eh?
As everyone else here has suggested, go to the Citizen's Advice Bureau to ask what you are entitled to, or phone the local Social Security offices. As you are now employed in the UK, you might be entitled to something.
I really hope everything works out for you soon,
Em.xx
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Flea,

Hope your on the mend. Its been a rough road for you.

How come you haven't lost your marbles though? I'd crack up!

I have a few notes written down while I've been researching stuff for our return next year.

Not sure where I've got it from, but if you can prove that you are habitually resident in the UK, you can claim for income support, you may even be entitled to job seekers allowance once your fit and able to work. Bank accounts details with current address usually is sufficient, able a mobile phone bill if on a contract. Your Doctor may even be able to write something for you too. The fact that you have registered with a Doctor is good.

Another thing you should do is to register to vote at your local council. Credit rating companies use these details, but could also prove your intensions to stay.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 9:26 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Honest_H
Hey Flea,

Hope your on the mend. Its been a rough road for you.

How come you haven't lost your marbles though? I'd crack up!

I have a few notes written down while I've been researching stuff for our return next year.

Not sure where I've got it from, but if you can prove that you are habitually resident in the UK, you can claim for income support, you may even be entitled to job seekers allowance once your fit and able to work. Bank accounts details with current address usually is sufficient, able a mobile phone bill if on a contract. Your Doctor may even be able to write something for you too. The fact that you have registered with a Doctor is good.

Another thing you should do is to register to vote at your local council. Credit rating companies use these details, but could also prove your intensions to stay.

Hope that helps.
Thanks HH

I think the only reason i havent cracked up is my good fortune to be married to a psychiatric nurse and one who is a godsend!!

I have decided to go to the CAB on Monday (have hospital appointments tomorrow)
I might be ok as i already have a bank account from my previous time back here last year, and i had also put myself on the electoral register thinking i was staying!! I have a mobile phone contract so that will help i guess.

I am hoping my new medications i receive tomorrow will set me back on the road to recovery so i wont be long getting back to working again. In the mean time I am rapidly running out of savings which were meant to be set by for renting a place to live and buying furniture.
It is all so mind boggling i feel like an ostrich who wants to stick its head in the sand!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

peanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nice

HI Flea

So sorry to hear you are feeling poorly and as a result not able to work.

Maybe you could get your daughter to call and enquire on behalf of you as you have lost your voice due to your illness kind of thing. That way they have nothing from you on record that could possibly count against your husband.
Sorry I cant be more helpful.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks HH

I think the only reason i havent cracked up is my good fortune to be married to a psychiatric nurse and one who is a godsend!!

I have decided to go to the CAB on Monday (have hospital appointments tomorrow)
I might be ok as i already have a bank account from my previous time back here last year, and i had also put myself on the electoral register thinking i was staying!! I have a mobile phone contract so that will help i guess.

I am hoping my new medications i receive tomorrow will set me back on the road to recovery so i wont be long getting back to working again. In the mean time I am rapidly running out of savings which were meant to be set by for renting a place to live and buying furniture.
It is all so mind boggling i feel like an ostrich who wants to stick its head in the sand!

Flea,

I hope that all goes well with the new meds. Its difficult to think straight and concentrate on recovering as well.

Please post on Monday and let us know how it went at the CAB. It would be really useful to hear what they say.

Good luck.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice
Default Re: I wonder if this has been asked before (benefits)

I recently came back to UK leaving my NZ husband behind in Sydney whilst i took up a job here to help secure his spouse visa as i needed to provide evidence to UK immigration that I have funds to support him until he gets a job.It was unfair on them and unfair on me having all the pressure on top of the illness.
I cannot help answer your question, sorry Flea, however, I'm in a similar situation in that, my husband needs a spouse visa to enter UK from South Africa, but we will be entering the UK together (when the properties are sold!!!) Your decision to go back to the UK ahead of your hubby to first get a job to help secure the spouse visa, confuses me, did someone tell you to do this? or is it just the way you wanted to do it?
Old Aug 1st 2008, 5:13 pm
I don't give a damn

Default Re: I wonder if this has been asked before (benefits)

Originally Posted by AudsFrmSA
I cannot help answer your question, sorry Flea, however, I'm in a similar situation in that, my husband needs a spouse visa to enter UK from South Africa, but we will be entering the UK together (when the properties are sold!!!) Your decision to go back to the UK ahead of your hubby to first get a job to help secure the spouse visa, confuses me, did someone tell you to do this? or is it just the way you wanted to do it?
Hiya

It is a very long and complicated story, but basically, at this moment in time we do not have very much in the way of liquid assets to satisfy immigration we have enough savings to live on until OH secures a job. This is due to all our previous savings going into a large family property in NZ to financially help an elderly relative. We cannot access any of this money until we inherit it back after their death. (i know! i know! i told hubby it was bad idea at the time but desperate measures were needed at the time) there is more complication i wont bore you with

Anyway... by the time we have paid all shipping, dog flight, his visa, and various other bits and pieces there is very little left. This means I had to come back here to gain employment to show immigration there were enough funds to support him until he finds work. Which is a bit of a farce seeing as he will have work within 24hrs due ot the nature of his job!! But as with anything to do with immigration rules are rules!! :curse: