Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I wonder how many people want to move back but can't afford to..

Wikiposts

I wonder how many people want to move back but can't afford to..

Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

ohwottodo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I wonder how many people want to move back but can't afford to..

As we are wanting to move back hopefully by November it's got me thinking about all the people that want to move back but just can't afford to so they overstay their visa and stay put.. for 5 of us airfare alone is going to be $6,000 then the process of renting a house ,finding a car , utilities etc. we are going to do a silent auction on the contents of our house, we have no other money to put into the move, there must be so many people caught in this situation ... my thought of the day..
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:35 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice
Default Re: I wonder how many people want to move back but can't afford to..

Originally Posted by ohwottodo
As we are wanting to move back hopefully by November it's got me thinking about all the people that want to move back but just can't afford to so they overstay their visa and stay put.. for 5 of us airfare alone is going to be $6,000 then the process of renting a house ,finding a car , utilities etc. we are going to do a silent auction on the contents of our house, we have no other money to put into the move, there must be so many people caught in this situation ... my thought of the day..
OMG, $6,000 for airfare? Have you purchased tickets yet? I read that airfares would be going down soon as the summer travel season winds down.

How do you conduct a silent auction for your things?

Where will you be returning to?

I wish you good luck with this!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:48 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

How on earth are five one way tickets costing that much from Florida? That's outrageous. All four of us adults could get back from Aus for under $5k and flights from Aus are very very expensive! We don't want to thankfully. Good luck with the auction and the move
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

flights are so high at the moment they were $800 each a few weeks ago and now they are $1,300 it also seemed to be cheaper to buy a return ticket which was weird. coming back as soon as we raise the
money I'm thinking November- husband will most prob go before us to sort things out, moving to Canterbury or around that area.
I will advertise the auction on Craig'slist and also in our church and have a weekend open house type of thing- we have an amazing support system and friends here so I'm hoping to raise funds that way.. can't take our dog with us as she's a frenchie and no airlines will take her taking the cat though ( British airways quoted $1,000???)
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:47 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, what will happen to your poor dog?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 2:04 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

As we are wanting to move back hopefully by November it's got me thinking about all the people that want to move back but just can't afford to so they overstay their visa and stay put.. there must be so many people caught in this situation ... my thought of the day..
Yes, I know of at least two US/UK couples in this conundrum. Both left the UK long ago before the USC partner got British citizenship, so the ILRs are long invalidated. Now they are kicking themselves for leaving without full UK naturalization back when it was easy & cheap. AND they're not sure they will make enough money to qualify under the new financial guidelines for years to come.

Luckily there are no US visa issues for either of these couples I know, so they can stay on here in the States without worry. It's just that they really want to be in the UK, and the new rules have prevented this happening for at least several years.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 3:56 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: I wonder how many people want to move back but can't afford to..

Well here is a much cheaper option than flying to the UK:

Return on the Queen Mary 2 transatlantic ocean liner.

They have a promotion on right now and one-way prices for the Eastbound crossings on 2nd and 28th October and 27th November are from $795 pp + $40 taxes. This includes all your meals and entertainment for 7 nights and you can take as much luggage that will fit in your cabin. I had a surprise trip on the QM2 last month from NY to Southampton and it was fantastic.

They also have kennels and it's cheaper than flying pets.

There are right now, 3 families who post on BE who are moving back to live in the UK and they're all on the Queen Mary 2! One family has their 4 dogs on board, they enquired directly with Cunard and there was a last-minute cancellation. One family came from the mid-west of Canada and two from California. You could either do a one-way van rental to NY, take the train or fly.

Other families have returned (with or without pets) on the QM2 - one family drove up from Florida with their pets a few years ago and booked a quad cabin - obviously the least expensive cabins are the inside ones.

Check out this promotion:

http://www.cunard.com/Special-Offers...fer-1/#details

http://www.moiracruises.co.uk/2012/0...talent-on-qm2/ (kennel prices)

Just another option to consider - I hope it helps!

Last edited by Englishmum; Aug 8th 2012 at 5:38 am.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Check out this promotion:

http://www.cunard.com/Special-Offers...fer-1/#details

http://www.moiracruises.co.uk/2012/0...talent-on-qm2/ (kennel prices)

thank you so much this helps alot!!
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well here is a much cheaper option than flying to the UK:

Return on the Queen Mary 2 transatlantic ocean liner.
Wow that's a great option! Thanks for the info!!
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:27 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

In response to your opening question, more people now that the rules regarding non-EU spouses have brought in stricter and higher financial requirements.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 10:16 am
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

We've had to financially plan very carefully before moving back permanently and after seven years of working and saving, I think we've finally made it!

It hasn't been easy. There were so many times I just wanted to jump on a plane and come home...but what stopped me was knowing that if I did, it would be almost impossible to get back on my/our feet without having a safety net of substantial savings to get housing/cars/furniture etc sorted thus giving ourselves the best possible rather than the worst possible start back home.

We may not like it, but healthy finances are crucial to a successful homecoming (for those of us in the 50 plus age range at least).

When you're younger, I do think its much easier to simply jump on that plane and take what comes with an optimistic smile. You have the energy, the family contacts, the ability to put up with temporary living arrangements much better than my age group.

My advice would be to plan as much as you can and save as much as you can prior to making your move home.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Wub. Planning, particularly financially is very important. We went back on an impulse in 1998 (in the good old days before a non-EU spouse could easily return to settle) but found the cost of living a challenge, even though we had savings and budgeted. I did not earn as much as I had hoped and my husband, a retired attorney, could not find work. Mind you, I value the two years I spent there, loved my job and adjusted in a few months. But we came back to The Bahamas and of course, my husband lost his ILR. Now the new rules would make it very difficult for us to go back to the UK to live.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

omaradam is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been putting of moving home because of the financial worries but since i made the decision to go for it whatever, i feel so much better. I will arrive home penniless live with my sister and get a job and start from scratch. It will be tough but i am willing to have a few tough years and be near my family and be happy than have a good job and nice things but feel sad inside all the time.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

flights are so high at the moment they were $800 each a few weeks ago and now they are $1,300 it also seemed to be cheaper to buy a return ticket which was weird. coming back as soon as we raise the
money I'm thinking November- husband will most prob go before us to sort things out, moving to Canterbury or around that area.
I will advertise the auction on Craig'slist and also in our church and have a weekend open house type of thing- we have an amazing support system and friends here so I'm hoping to raise funds that way.. can't take our dog with us as she's a frenchie and no airlines will take her taking the cat though ( British airways quoted $1,000???)
What is a Frenchie?

I am SURE there are ways to get your dog there. I think it depends on the airline.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by omaradam
I have been putting of moving home because of the financial worries but since i made the decision to go for it whatever, i feel so much better. I will arrive home penniless live with my sister and get a job and start from scratch. It will be tough but i am willing to have a few tough years and be near my family and be happy than have a good job and nice things but feel sad inside all the time.
Good for you! Right attitude, too!

A place to stay is the most important thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.