I want to talk about Pubs

Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to talk about Pubs

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Sorry to have to say this and it is a first for me, but you Mr.Flashy are talking out of your a**e. Broad generalisations are a sign of ignorance and unwillingness to listen and learn. Total narrow mindedness from someone who spent almost every night of the week with people who 'babble the same old crap'.
Sounds like you've been in the sauce yerself or I've hit a sensitive spot!

I have experenced the Brit pub culture and there's better things to do in life.

Last edited by flashman; Dec 6th 2007 at 8:23 am.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Now I know why I never went to Canada.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
The "local" - ie the pub most local to where you live, or the one which you frequent the most often with your mates (or family or whoever) is the very focal point of practically all the social life of the majority of people here in the UK. Pubs vary in character and many cater for families with restaurants and bars that suit families with young kids. Others have facilities for those into playing darts, pool, snooker or to watching live sport on big plasmas, mostly in the public bars. People go to pubs to meet people (either people they know or people they are meeting for the first time) and the atmosphere is entirely social, but some people choose to go to pubs to discuss business or to sort out problems or whatever while having a meal and a drink (or two or three....) In some pubs you can order and pay for meals at the bar, then choose your seats and table and the food will be brought to you direct from the kitchen. Menus in many bars vary a lot and some have the day's specials chalked up on a big blackboard or in some other prominent place as well as on individual menus on the tables. Or you can go through to a restaurant separate from the bars and order at table and then pay up for the lot at the end of the meal.

Bars vary a lot in character - some have loud ear splitting techno music with all the games machines, most have different kinds of entertainment evenings with a whole range of music and singing, some have quiz nights with teams forming leagues, some are quiet and secluded and in winter with roaring real log fireplaces where people can chat and enjoy themselves in relative peace. The very essence of the British pub scene is a social atmosphere (either very relaxed or frenetic, depending on the pub bar) and as I say is the main focal point of all kinds of communities, from wee villages to large city centres. Most pubs have gardens where in summer you can sit outside (weather permitting) and eat and drink. Some pubs are very small and cosy, and some are massive with car parks the size of a footie ground.

You will be very hard pressed to find any community in the UK without a pub..or two...or three or four or more. Norwich city area in Norfolk, England, has 365! And 52 churches and one cathedral, strangely enough, so they have their priorities sorted out there!

There is not a TV soap in the UK in which much of the action doesn't take place in the "local" pub - 60% on average of the time of each episode is spent in the pub - The Rovers Return in Corrie (Coronation Street), the Wheatsheaf in Emmerdale, the Queen Vic in Eastenders and whatever that pub is called in Hollyoaks, just for starters. Without the pub the soaps would fizzle out.

British pubs can have the strangest of names - apart from run of the mill King's Heads, Queen's Arms, the Dog and Ducks, the Greyhounds (often near a race track), The Red Lions, the Duke of Yorks and the Saracen's Heads and the Pig and Whistles, there are the Slug and Lettuce, the Quiet Woman, the Hole in the Wall, The Poosie Nansie's, The Inn Next Door Burnt Down, The Round of Carrots, The Old Thirteenth Cheshire Astley Volunteer Rifleman Corps Inn, The Cat and Custard Pot, The Podgy Pooch, The Muscular Arms, The Jolly Taxpayer, The Leg of Mutton and Cauliflower Inn, The World Turned Upside Down, the Bull and Bladder and the Nobody's Inn.

Without the local pub social life in Britain would collapse. Cheers!
<slips in>

get it into Wikipedia!!

<slips out>
Old Dec 6th 2007, 10:37 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman

Not at all and I hardly drink, just wine with meals. I am sociable, have friends round for dinner, (often,love to cook) and never have a problem finding something decent to chat about. Certainly wouldn't have to go to a pub 6 nights a week, ALL night to drink and then complain about the company I kept.

Originally Posted by manc1
Don't bother either, it's THE most boring place I've ever been to.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:52 am
Banned

british whinger is an unknown quantity at this point

the ol british pub, ok where do you want me start.

Absolutely great, for a one now and again, I can understand why everyone misses them, but its not all that, you cant eat them and dont live in them,

my question is, is it that bigger of a deal, something that costs you a forune, intoxicates you surely there is something better to be doing in your lifes.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 12:59 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Not at all and I hardly drink, just wine with meals. I am sociable, have friends round for dinner, (often,love to cook) and never have a problem finding something decent to chat about. Certainly wouldn't have to go to a pub 6 nights a week, ALL night to drink and then complain about the company I kept.

Don't bother either, it's THE most boring place I've ever been to.
You've never been to Milton Keynes then have you?
Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manc1
Sounds like you're now a "Whinging Pom"
Old Dec 6th 2007, 3:09 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bother either, it's THE most boring place I've ever been to
What part of Canada did you go to out of interest?
Old Dec 6th 2007, 3:25 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: I want to talk about Pubs

Originally Posted by british whinger
the ol british pub, ok where do you want me start.
Well I'd vote "nowhere", but you already have done - 3rd page, post #45.

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
During all the thoughts that go into shall we go home, shall we stay, I have recently decided that 'English Pubs' are absolutely essential to me
Agree with all that. I love UK pubs and missed them badly - I like the whole social aspect of it, and the old ones that date back hundreds of years can't be beat. Coming into your favourite one after walking through the cold for a proper pint, with a real fire going - ace!
Old Dec 6th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Is that because you do not really have the "British Pub/Local" and you have replaced it with Coffee drinking for a social thing....?
Jackie
Maybe... I've not worked it out but I do know that in the UK I would have the odd cup of coffee in between many tea's and now it's coffee coffee coffee coffee, starbucks, dunkin's and /nescafe instant from the moment I drag my butt out of bed in the morning. I'm not a big drinker either, even when in the UK, but now I go months and months with not a bevvy in sight. Who wants to drink if it's not socially... for me that's the whole point. A drink and a laugh with friends. I am so out of practice that the other week my OH bought a bottle of Merlot. I had 1 mouthful and a few mins later I couldn't barely lift my arms! They were like lead weights I kid you not and I didn't really like the sensation at all. By the end of the glass all I was good for was my pillow. I shall have to drink tonic at the pub when we return and gradually add a teaspoon at a time of gin until I am fully re-habilitated!!
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay so why are you on this site with all of us British Pub loving people....if you have better things to do....why are you not doing them!!
Jackie who likes coffee.....
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:40 pm
Banned

british whinger is an unknown quantity at this point

life is all about sacrifices.

Now do you sacrifice a great outdoor life of say 30% of your spare time. to

spend 2% of your spare time sat in a pub and the other 28% sat in watching tv or surfing the internet

think about the weather options etc,

smas is great here, nice and damp wet miserable, oh lovely pub around the corner tonight , had a couple of beers, good convo for a while.......
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you're now a "Whinging Pom"

Mates not talking to you again.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brits1
Okay so why are you on this site with all of us British Pub loving people....if you have better things to do....why are you not doing them!!
Jackie who likes coffee.....

Jackie hes a wum with no mates.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 1:20 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
You've never been to Milton Keynes then have you?
Actually I have, many times. My eldest brother lives in Weston Favell, Northants. and was an engineer on the MK railway while it was being built, so we were there for the 'Grand Opening Ceremony'. We've also taken our son ( when he was small) to see the fantastic Xmas scenes they used to do quite afew times too. I have an uncle and two cousins who live close by in Shenley Church End. I should have said country and not 'place' shouldn't I.

Originally Posted by Danny B
What part of Canada did you go to out of interest?
Calgary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.