I want to talk about Pubs

Old Dec 7th 2007, 4:39 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I want to talk about Pubs

I have experenced the Brit pub culture and there's better things to do in life.[/QUOTE]

Yes there are better things in life than British pub culture. We are not all elitist supercilious tw*ts who relentlessly, remorselessly and always only indulge in the best aspects of life.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 4:51 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Maybe... . I am so out of practice that the other week my OH bought a bottle of Merlot. I had 1 mouthful and a few mins later I couldn't barely lift my arms! They were like lead weights I kid you not and I didn't really like the sensation at all. D
Your oh was trying to poison you. I really cannot guess why though.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Maybe... I've not worked it out but I do know that in the UK I would have the odd cup of coffee in between many tea's and now it's coffee coffee coffee coffee, starbucks, dunkin's and /nescafe instant from the moment I drag my butt out of bed in the morning. I'm not a big drinker either, even when in the UK, but now I go months and months with not a bevvy in sight. Who wants to drink if it's not socially... for me that's the whole point. A drink and a laugh with friends. I am so out of practice that the other week my OH bought a bottle of Merlot. I had 1 mouthful and a few mins later I couldn't barely lift my arms! They were like lead weights I kid you not and I didn't really like the sensation at all. By the end of the glass all I was good for was my pillow. I shall have to drink tonic at the pub when we return and gradually add a teaspoon at a time of gin until I am fully re-habilitated!!
When we were home this year all our friends arranged a night out in Stalybridge....well was I getting nervous about this...was it because of a lack of outfits...no...my hair not good enough...no...it was because socially we do not have nights out like that here in Perth...a pub crawl....never....you would be crawling by the time you got to another pub as you would of had to walk miles....anyway we had the best night in years...even had my hubbie up on the dancefloor to Northern Soul and Motown!!! and we have not laughed like that in years...and you know what all our friends do that about every 8 (we all have children etc) needless to say I was a cheap night...had about 2 glasses of red wine (it was an Aussie one and cheaper there than here in Perth!!!) the room starting to "sway"....so I just stopped and danced/laughed myself sober...now how sad is that!!! two glasses....
Great times, I would say that the drink was not so important to us or our friends just getting together is a good enough laugh and the pubs atmosphere helped.
Jackie
Old Dec 7th 2007, 8:56 am
Banned

...outfit, hair, dancing...

Madam that was not a pub!!

USA is talking about something completely different!

We all accept that you can enjoy yourself without being pissed - you don't need to prove it but don't confuse the topic which is about pubs.

Your dig about the price of Australian wine is meaningless. We can all quote examples of how you can get something cheaper where you like than where you don't like - but y'know - who memorises prices on a night out!! Who cares about the relative price of wine if you don't drink!!

Who cares if you do..
Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by british whinger
life is all about sacrifices.

Now do you sacrifice a great outdoor life of say 30% of your spare time. to

spend 2% of your spare time sat in a pub and the other 28% sat in watching tv or surfing the internet

think about the weather options etc,

smas is great here, nice and damp wet miserable, oh lovely pub around the corner tonight , had a couple of beers, good convo for a while.......
Dear lord if a name ever suited anybody...now back to my curry and a movie (at home on a friday night....cause the pubs here are...well.....not nice!!!)
Jackie
Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dago

We all accept that you can enjoy yourself without being pissed - you don't need to prove it but don't confuse the topic which is about pubs.

Your dig about the price of Australian wine is meaningless. We can all quote examples of how you can get something cheaper where you like than where you don't like - but y'know - who memorises prices on a night out!! Who cares about the relative price of wine if you don't drink!!

Who cares if you do..
Being in Kuwait getting to yo?!!! or is it the lack of Pubs really cracking you up!!!....and yes I have lived in the Middle East...before you start or even think of patronising me........so I know how it is!!! and yes it was a British Pub....well English....and a VERY old one....just has great entertainment and an excellent Landlord who has been their nearly as long as the Pub (now that was a joke incase you left your sense of humour behind...or even if you have one!!! ha ha) and I only mentioned the price of the wine because I was amazed I could drink my local Aussie wine in a BRILL pub and cheaper) can I also say that a pint of "local beer" in our Local (if you can call it that...we must go in about once every 8 weeks and then during the day for lunch) is $7.00 more for an "import beer" and a glass of wine (average wine) is starts at $6.00 and these are not "city" pubs where you would expect to pay more. Can I also mention that you come across a mite bit agressive.....that's not welcome on our "friendly" threads....Kuwait is the place for you.....
Jackie
Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by brits1
Being in Kuwait getting to yo?!!! or is it the lack of Pubs really cracking you up!!!....and yes I have lived in the Middle East...before you start or even think of patronising me........so I know how it is!!! and yes it was a British Pub....well English....and a VERY old one....just has great entertainment and an excellent Landlord who has been their nearly as long as the Pub (now that was a joke incase you left your sense of humour behind...or even if you have one!!! ha ha) and I only mentioned the price of the wine because I was amazed I could drink my local Aussie wine in a BRILL pub and cheaper) can I also say that a pint of "local beer" in our Local (if you can call it that...we must go in about once every 8 weeks and then during the day for lunch) is $7.00 more for an "import beer" and a glass of wine (average wine) is starts at $6.00 and these are not "city" pubs where you would expect to pay more. Can I also mention that you come across a mite bit agressive.....that's not welcome on our "friendly" threads....Kuwait is the place for you.....
Jackie
Sorry about my spelling mistakes...I was talking to my hubbie on the phone....at the same time.....so "yo" should be "you" and "their" should be "there" I do like a drink....I just don't need one all the time!!!
Jackie
Old Dec 7th 2007, 10:35 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares if you do..
How on earth do you know that? Were you with Jackie? What is your problem? Do you wish to share it with us?
Old Dec 7th 2007, 12:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
How on earth do you know that? Were you with Jackie? What is your problem? Do you wish to share it with us?
Actually I was not with Jackie from Perth / Scaleybridge / Middle East - yet with an unrequited desire to be in the UK. This is a major regret of the year.

In fact I contrast a pub where there is dancing, where there is an explicit need to get hair done and wear a new outfit - all of that being derived from Jackie's comments - with a typical British pub which does not include such refinements. I am also at a loss recalling any pub wich has dancing. I think that is a separate license in fact.

My problem as you have requested to share it is in reacting to over effusive repetetive, illogically expressed emotional nonsense and multiple posts in answer to single points - an art displayed admirably and consistently by some. I see that none of the posts bear any of those characteristics and so...

No offense meant. Perhaps I am over reacting because there are no pubs in Kuwait - a fact which would have totally escaped me during my decision to come here! And to prove the value of my research then I propose that my desire to return to the UK is inversly proportional to anothers that I know and respect well.

Said anything offensive have I?

Bye now - off to the dance hall!!

Love to all!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 3:16 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
Sounds like you've been in the sauce yerself or I've hit a sensitive spot!

I have experenced the Brit pub culture and there's better things to do in life.
Wow - shame you had to move 5000 miles to realise that there is more to life than sitting in pubs 6 nights of the week.
Hopefully being smug on an internet chatroom has helped to make you feel more complete.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 5:55 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey! This thread's getting a bit grrrrr isn't it?

I'm with the pro-pub crowd as it happens, but there's one thing that's central to a traditional british pub and that's traditional british beer (i.e. cask conditioned). This is why plastic versions of British pubs in other countries have never cut it for me. After living here (Western MA) for a while I did come to realize that there are a couple of half decent bars in the area that actually do serve cask beers. So now and again, when I'm missing home, I'll go to one, sip the beer and close my eyes... just a little piece of heaven in this far-off land.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=tonrob;5644102]Crikey! This thread's getting a bit grrrrr isn't it?

I agree, so I'm calling last orders. Time gentlemen please.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:24 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I was not with Jackie from Perth / Scaleybridge / Middle East - yet with an unrequited desire to be in the UK. This is a major regret of the year.

In fact I contrast a pub where there is dancing, where there is an explicit need to get hair done and wear a new outfit - all of that being derived from Jackie's comments - with a typical British pub which does not include such refinements. I am also at a loss recalling any pub wich has dancing. I think that is a separate license in fact.

My problem as you have requested to share it is in reacting to over effusive repetetive, illogically expressed emotional nonsense and multiple posts in answer to single points - an art displayed admirably and consistently by some. I see that none of the posts bear any of those characteristics and so...

No offense meant. Perhaps I am over reacting because there are no pubs in Kuwait - a fact which would have totally escaped me during my decision to come here! And to prove the value of my research then I propose that my desire to return to the UK is inversly proportional to anothers that I know and respect well.

Said anything offensive have I?

Bye now - off to the dance hall!!

Love to all!
It really bothers me that there are people like you around who take exception to other peoples opinions, likes and dislikes.

Jackie was only reporting that she had a fab night out in a British pub with her friends. Why on earth you feel the need to take issue with that and be so confrontational is totally beyond me.

There are absolutely loads of British pubs where you can dance and let your hair down.

That's the great thing about our pubs - there is such variety. There are quaint quiet country pubs, lively pubs where you can dance the night away, family pubs where you can take the kids for a meal, pubs for the young, pubs for the old, classy pubs or chavy pubs.

Some people have the strange notion that if you like pubs you are an alcoholic or a heavy drinker and live your whole life in the pub - I absolutely love our pubs but on average spend about 3 or 4 hours a week in there.

Which gives me over 100 waking hours to pursue other interests.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:50 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

We used to have a string of small pubs and wine bars in Bristol where you could dance...and that was like many many many years ago...

Not being a drinker once I had kids...I still liked going to pubs...I do miss a Sunday afternoon bike run out to the New Forest for a ploughman's lunch...
Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LouiseD
It really bothers me that there are people like you around who take exception to other peoples opinions, likes and dislikes.

Jackie was only reporting that she had a fab night out in a British pub with her friends. Why on earth you feel the need to take issue with that and be so confrontational is totally beyond me.

There are absolutely loads of British pubs where you can dance and let your hair down.

That's the great thing about our pubs - there is such variety. There are quaint quiet country pubs, lively pubs where you can dance the night away, family pubs where you can take the kids for a meal, pubs for the young, pubs for the old, classy pubs or chavy pubs.

Some people have the strange notion that if you like pubs you are an alcoholic or a heavy drinker and live your whole life in the pub - I absolutely love our pubs but on average spend about 3 or 4 hours a week in there.

Which gives me over 100 waking hours to pursue other interests.
Yes it was a pub, yes there was music and a dance floor!!!! it sells casks beers as well!!!! Thanks Louise and everyone else out there...it does not bother me other peoples opionions....it's a free country...so to speak!!!...just one of the best nights we had in a looooong time.......and as I have said in the past...I can actually go into a pub and not have an alcholic drink...yes honestly...and have a brill time....!!! the drink is just the extra fun bit....if you like!!!
Jackie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.