Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I want to go back to the UK now !!!

I want to go back to the UK now !!!

Old Dec 28th 2003, 11:44 am
Goodpubmisser

I agree with your points Bondi.

You should get Foxtel you know. Although the programs on Foxtel tend to be a bit out of date it is far better than being bombarded with advertisements on commercial TV.

Also the cencorship is less so you get programs like the "Naked News" which is naked female American Newsreaders reading out American news (good for the occasional laugh!).

There is a British TV channel as well but some of these programs are really old (good for reliving your childhood).

Australia is a better country to be in if you are a low wage earner. Thus when I first left University I was better off here than Britain. Now I am older however and much richer the difference between Australia and Britain becomes more questionable.

A lot of the people on this forum seem to be "Burger Flippers" and so will probably be better off in Australia in the short term anyway. In the longer term the opportunities for retraining are not as high in Australia. This is the result of the poulation being smaller and the spread of industries less, much like there are more opportunities for retraining in a large city like London than there are in a smaller town like Bristol.

Also in real terms Burger Flippers are earning less each year in Australia. This is due to such things as the GST, increase in housing prices etc. Part of this is a deliberate attempt by the government to reduce the pay for unskilled/semiskilled labour to bring Australia in line with the rest of the developed world thus improving Australia's competitiviness.

On rents these will be increasing in the next few years depending on what the government do to the negative gearing laws. Changes to the negative gearing laws as applied to property are inevitable.

Old Dec 28th 2003, 2:01 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser
I agree with your points Bondi.

You should get Foxtel you know. Although the programs on Foxtel tend to be a bit out of date it is far better than being bombarded with advertisements on commercial TV.
Waste of money for me. I prefer watching DVDs and less TV and more exercise is what I need.

A lot of the people on this forum seem to be "Burger Flippers" and so will probably be better off in Australia in the short term anyway. In the longer term the opportunities for retraining are not as high in Australia. This is the result of the poulation being smaller and the spread of industries less, much like there are more opportunities for retraining in a large city like London than there are in a smaller town like Bristol.
It depends on the industry but generally correct. I am not aware of any unskilled workers on the Aussie forum dong McJobs.

Also in real terms Burger Flippers are earning less each year in Australia. This is due to such things as the GST, increase in housing prices etc. Part of this is a deliberate attempt by the government to reduce the pay for unskilled/semiskilled labour to bring Australia in line with the rest of the developed world thus improving Australia's competitiviness.
GST in Oz is still way below EU levels and only marginally above US sales tax. It will be interesting to see what happens to the minimum wages in both countries.

On rents these will be increasing in the next few years depending on what the government do to the negative gearing laws. Changes to the negative gearing laws as applied to property are inevitable.
I am not so sure Labour or Liberal are prepared to tackle negative gearing. It is becoming one of those things politicians are way too scared to adjust. The amount of real estate and building industry money going into party coffers may also have an influence.

Rents are also fixed more rigidly under state law than they are in the UK. Unless vacancy levels drop I cannot see rents increasing much. If anything rent has dropped in Sydney and more places are available than when I was leasing in 1997.

Oz certainly faces some challenges because of the size of its economy but with no budget defecit and strong fundamentals the outlook is not that negative.

The biggest immediate threat to the UK economy is the budget defecit hence the drop in the pound to the AUD. Taxes are set to rise in the UK which will have an affect. There is only so much labour can do to put off a raise in income tax.

As long as Australia can keep the balance of population young and keep up the skilled immigration stream then the future is good. The long term threat to the UK is the looming pension crisis which will blow out the exchequers coffers. Other European countries will fare worse (Italy is suddenly realising this).

To go forward Australia has to keep competitive and develop its intellectual capital more than it currently does.

London will always be the driver for the UK economy but outside the SE the future is bleaker than Oz. Brisbane is growing rapidly and I predict in a couple of decades it will rival Sydney and Melbourne in population and regional economic importance.