Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I WANNA SHOUT FROM THE ROOFTOPS!!

I WANNA SHOUT FROM THE ROOFTOPS!!

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

bubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud of
Default I WANNA SHOUT FROM THE ROOFTOPS!!

They say the grass is greener, well here in England it really is!!

This may be a long post but one I am very happy to be writing.

We landed on the 22nd December had a lovely welcome from our friends at the airport with banners and balloons, came home to a party with all our friends celebrating that we were back. Bought a house on the 23rd that my husband had viewed in the summer which has stunning countryside views that will never be built on both front and back. Went ice skating in Hyde Park on the 24th which was sooo Christmassy, after making a mad dash to Asda to kit the kids out in winter clothes for less than £50! Got back to our friends house (where we are staying) to wrap up pressies for the kids to the sounds of cheesy Christmas music and never felt more at home.

Christmas day started early, with the jet lag! Kids were very excited opening their presents and everyone had been so nice buying them little things to make them feel at home. Kids were so happy to be home and slotted straight back in as if we had never been away. If there is anyone out there worrying about their children settling, well don't, they adjust really well. The day was spent revelling in the atmosphere of what Christmas should be. Surrounded by people that loved us, even though we had been away for so long, the people who really counted made us feel so welcome and loved. Did not miss the sun or beach whatsoever.

On boxing day we travelled to a tiny village on the outskirts of Leicester to visit my brother and mum. They were so very pleased to see us and again we felt straight at home. The log fire was burning, and it was crisp outside. We wrapped up and went for a lovely country walk and now appreciate the stunning beauty of the countryside. Spent two days and two nights relaxing in the company of our family and then headed back to Bedfordshire to our very kind friends who said they had missed us! They have opened up their hearts and their homes to us. My two girls are sharing a bedroom with our friend's daughter and are loving the time, giggling and sharing clothes!

On the Monday, my husband played golf with his friends and he was glad to be welcomed back into their golf society. He didn't win but had a really great time.

On tuesday we hit the sales and boy did I get some bargains!! £400 worth of clothes for £150. The sales staff in Debenhmas were very helpful and polite which was nice for a change!

In the evening we went out for a chinese buffet and fulfilled my long awaited dream by having yummy crispy duck pancakes and only £10.50 a head for eat as much as you like. When we came out it was late and foggy, my daughter who had never seen fog before commented how "blurry" it was outside!!!

And then came the New Years Eve party. Friends had gone to a lot of trouble getting a cake made with "welcome home" on it and we spent a fantastic evening dancing, singing and drinking and catching up! We partyed on til 4am.

Some people may say that friends will change while you are away, some obviously have moved on but we found that our real friends were still there and were so pleased to have us back and made us so welcome. My husband commented a few times that why did we ever go away in the first place??!!

I found out in Australia while planning to move back to the UK certain friends did not live up to our expectations of what true friends are. Just because they didn't agree with our decision, they were very negative instead of supporting us which made our last few months in Australia very hard. I think with the true friends we have in the UK, they will make our settling in so much easier than our departure from Oz.

I know its very early days yet and there will be hard times ahead, but if our first few weeks are anything to go by, and with the support of our family and friends, we will make it work and are really excited about our future!

Gotta go now, just off for lunch in a country pub in the village where the house we are buying is in!

PS My friend typed this, she is a secretary, in case you are thinking my typing has improved while on the plane over here!!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I WANNA SHOUT FROM THE ROOFTOPS!!

Talk about a dream come true!

Congratulations!!!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by backagen
Talk about a dream come true!

Congratulations!!!
Yeah, just what i was thinking.

Great to hear from you bubbles. All the best
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

Bubbles08

Loved reading your post. Where about have you moved back to? Wished we had gone before Christmas but will have a really good Christmas this year back in the UK.

We're moving back next week to Devon and can't wait.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 6:31 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Bubbles.
How long were you gone?
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, definitely sounds like you have landed on your feet! Lovely to hear that things are going well.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:10 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you. Lovely to read your post. Hope 2009 brings you much happiness and that you continue to feel blessed.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

What a wonderful post Bubbles, and so glad that your return is everything you wanted it to be - now just for the rest of us!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:39 am
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

Sooooooo Jealous. Sounds wonderful. We are hoping for the same in 2009. Christmas is what you make it and as hard as we tried it was just flat this year , there is nothing nicer than having your family and friends around. This Christmas was our 1st in Oz and hopefully our last.

Nikki
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 2:31 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Great post...thanks for that...I'm grinning
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 6:37 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome home!!!

Glad it's all worked out so well for you back here. Long may it continue xx
Old Jan 4th 2009, 2:01 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubbles08
They say the grass is greener, well here in England it really is!!

This may be a long post but one I am very happy to be writing.

We landed on the 22nd December had a lovely welcome from our friends at the airport with banners and balloons, came home to a party with all our friends celebrating that we were back. Bought a house on the 23rd that my husband had viewed in the summer which has stunning countryside views that will never be built on both front and back. Went ice skating in Hyde Park on the 24th which was sooo Christmassy, after making a mad dash to Asda to kit the kids out in winter clothes for less than £50! Got back to our friends house (where we are staying) to wrap up pressies for the kids to the sounds of cheesy Christmas music and never felt more at home.

Christmas day started early, with the jet lag! Kids were very excited opening their presents and everyone had been so nice buying them little things to make them feel at home. Kids were so happy to be home and slotted straight back in as if we had never been away. If there is anyone out there worrying about their children settling, well don't, they adjust really well. The day was spent revelling in the atmosphere of what Christmas should be. Surrounded by people that loved us, even though we had been away for so long, the people who really counted made us feel so welcome and loved. Did not miss the sun or beach whatsoever.

On boxing day we travelled to a tiny village on the outskirts of Leicester to visit my brother and mum. They were so very pleased to see us and again we felt straight at home. The log fire was burning, and it was crisp outside. We wrapped up and went for a lovely country walk and now appreciate the stunning beauty of the countryside. Spent two days and two nights relaxing in the company of our family and then headed back to Bedfordshire to our very kind friends who said they had missed us! They have opened up their hearts and their homes to us. My two girls are sharing a bedroom with our friend's daughter and are loving the time, giggling and sharing clothes!

On the Monday, my husband played golf with his friends and he was glad to be welcomed back into their golf society. He didn't win but had a really great time.

On tuesday we hit the sales and boy did I get some bargains!! £400 worth of clothes for £150. The sales staff in Debenhmas were very helpful and polite which was nice for a change!

In the evening we went out for a chinese buffet and fulfilled my long awaited dream by having yummy crispy duck pancakes and only £10.50 a head for eat as much as you like. When we came out it was late and foggy, my daughter who had never seen fog before commented how "blurry" it was outside!!!

And then came the New Years Eve party. Friends had gone to a lot of trouble getting a cake made with "welcome home" on it and we spent a fantastic evening dancing, singing and drinking and catching up! We partyed on til 4am.

Some people may say that friends will change while you are away, some obviously have moved on but we found that our real friends were still there and were so pleased to have us back and made us so welcome. My husband commented a few times that why did we ever go away in the first place??!!

I found out in Australia while planning to move back to the UK certain friends did not live up to our expectations of what true friends are. Just because they didn't agree with our decision, they were very negative instead of supporting us which made our last few months in Australia very hard. I think with the true friends we have in the UK, they will make our settling in so much easier than our departure from Oz.

I know its very early days yet and there will be hard times ahead, but if our first few weeks are anything to go by, and with the support of our family and friends, we will make it work and are really excited about our future!

Gotta go now, just off for lunch in a country pub in the village where the house we are buying is in!

PS My friend typed this, she is a secretary, in case you are thinking my typing has improved while on the plane over here!!
Hello sweetie. As soon as I began reading this I knew you couldn't have typed it.

Lovely post hun, I feel your excitement. Made me giggle when you said A had played golf, but it didn't surprise me. Give my love to the girls and tell them I hope their first day at school goes well and I want to hear all about it.

You will make this work, I just know you will. You are in the right place at the right time for you. Can't wait to join you. Big hugs.

PS. N said it was strange walking in the centre and you not being there.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

What a wonderful post, thanks for posting it. It gives us all waiting-to-go-homers a lovely lift while we are in the process of planning our get-away's. Cheers
Old Jan 4th 2009, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Hi bubbles,
I returned from Oz a long time ago and its the best thing I ever did!Welcome back and I hope all your dreams come true as mine did!!
Old Jan 6th 2009, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Clangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud of

sounds great!!!!
Christmas here was so boring - one lousy day off and then everyone is back to work...no going to the bars after work or at lunch for a Christmas drink - You can't even say Christmas here without being told we are being politically incorrect!!

Well done for you and you sound so ecstatic!!

Hopefully I'll be back in July 09

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.