Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I wanna live where there is no crime....

Wikiposts

I wanna live where there is no crime....

Old Dec 16th 2009, 2:05 pm
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I wanna live where there is no crime....

Originally Posted by merleoberon
move to australia then - there is no crime here
Please tell me that you are being ironic.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 2:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mono
You know Australia is utopian and crime-free.......doesn't have a drug problem either, remember
Old Dec 16th 2009, 2:55 pm
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You know Australia is utopian and crime-free.......doesn't have a drug problem either, remember
Oh!!!

Sorry! I was forgetting again. Australia is the land of milk and honey where there is no crime, no disease and no poverty. No social injustice or suffering of any kind in fact.

My mistake.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 3:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oh!!!

Sorry! I was forgetting again. Australia is the land of milk and honey where there is no crime, no disease and no poverty. No social injustice or suffering of any kind in fact.

My mistake.
Thats the one
Old Dec 16th 2009, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I think you echo the concerns of lots of people.

It is not always the more extreme crimes which affect the QOL of the man/woman in the street, its this kind of lower level abuse which is either observed, or experienced directly which leads people like yourself to despair and want to move somewhere more peaceful.
Well plenty of low level stuff going on here in Perth at any rate. Just take the public transport and walk in the city and surronds after dark.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Well plenty of low level stuff going on here in Perth at any rate. Just take the public transport and walk in the city and surronds after dark.
I was listening to the local news here in Perth today on the radio and they mentioned they might be getting tough on people who have already been caught drink driving..they might get a longer ban....wow at long last...more than likely will not happen the hotel industry seem to have a lot of "muscle" here in Perth...and judging from the cars doing "burnouts" on the pub near where we live last night....not sure anyone would take any notice if it did happen...nope life here is perfect....(if your dreaming)....
Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

relax mono - I am indeed

but the number of potential migrants that seem to believe this myth is astounding. they give reasons for moving from the terrible UK like - drugs, crime, lack of prospects, lack of respects, not safe, yob culture, too many migrants () etc etc all wrapped up in the phrase - just want a better life for the kids - but the exact same stories are on the news here. recent news stories - glassings in pubs, ice factories in back yards, people beaten up in home invasions, mentally disabled girl beaten up by bullies while mum egged her on and captured it on mobile phone, blind boy in melbourne school removed due to bullying, drink culture rife in teenagers.........the list is endless. the big police crackdown on crime and anti-social behaviour in western australia made it on the UK news and when I phoned my folks, they were genuinely shocked that such things happened in Perth - me telling them about it just seems to wash over their heads as they imagine a life lazing by the pool.

the media here is a laugh too - they had a huge segment on the news about the potential british airways strike with the "people in the Uk are so unhappy" undertone - yet the strike by australian postal workers and quantas staff hardly got a mention!!
Old Dec 18th 2009, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

relax mono - I am indeed

but the number of potential migrants that seem to believe this myth is astounding. they give reasons for moving from the terrible UK like - drugs, crime, lack of prospects, lack of respects, not safe, yob culture, too many migrants () etc etc all wrapped up in the phrase - just want a better life for the kids - but the exact same stories are on the news here. recent news stories - glassings in pubs, ice factories in back yards, people beaten up in home invasions, mentally disabled girl beaten up by bullies while mum egged her on and captured it on mobile phone, blind boy in melbourne school removed due to bullying, drink culture rife in teenagers.........the list is endless. the big police crackdown on crime and anti-social behaviour in western australia made it on the UK news and when I phoned my folks, they were genuinely shocked that such things happened in Perth - me telling them about it just seems to wash over their heads as they imagine a life lazing by the pool.

the media here is a laugh too - they had a huge segment on the news about the potential british airways strike with the "people in the Uk are so unhappy" undertone - yet the strike by australian postal workers and quantas staff hardly got a mention!!
Indeed and if Australia had such an active national tabloid press as does the UK,i have a feeling the news wouldn't be too much different with regards to crime and the like.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I must object to the earlier generalisation about wanting a better life for the kids over here. Yes there is crime wherever you go, but my daughter is absolutely thriving here, with a better, more active lifestyle and less intimidation by yobs/thugs/princesses.
In the UK, we lived in a reasonably affluent area, but there was far more social pressure to grow up (ie snog boys), put make up on and dress like a hooker-AT PRIMARY SCHOOL-and in our experience it was all so much more pressured that everyone was at breaking point, ready to snap.
Here again in our own experience, (so please don't bite my head off, as you may have a different one,) although OH works harder, our general home and school life is more relaxed, and I can't believe how kind and generous the people here have been when we have had problems like our furniture not arriving for months, my bad health - which came out of the blue, and sponsoring DD when she raised a team that swam for 24 hours to raise money for MS to the tune of $9000.
I am not a total Oz lover- it isn't perfect, just different, and for us, better.

Last edited by carolinephillips; Dec 18th 2009 at 4:36 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:34 pm
Banned

relax mono - I am indeed

I told a friend about how people get quite anxious during bush fire season and he laughed and said ''no more chance of that than getting stabbed in England''.

People can't get their heads around the fact that Australia is really no safer. Crime per capita is basically the same in Aus as in UK - in some cases actually worse in Aus.

The media does always portray Britain negatively and Australia positively. I hate the Aussie media. It's dreadful.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I must object to the earlier generalisation about wanting a better life for the kids over here. Yes there is crime wherever you go, but my daughter is absolutely thriving here, with a better, more active lifestyle and less intimidation by yobs/thugs/princesses.
In the UK, we lived in a reasonably affluent area, but there was far more social pressure to grow up (ie snog boys), put make up on and dress like a hooker-AT PRIMARY SCHOOL-and in our experience it was all so much more pressured that everyone was at breaking point, ready to snap.
Here again in our own experience, (so please don't bite my head off, as you may have a different one,) although OH works harder, our general home and school life is more relaxed, and I can't believe how kind and generous the people here have been when we have had problems like our furniture not arriving for months, my bad health - which came out of the blue, and sponsoring DD when she raised a team that swam for 24 hours to raise money for MS to the tune of $9000.
I am not a total Oz lover- it isn't perfect, just different, and for us, better.

nothing wrong with that - glad to hear that you are having a good life and that your daughter is thriving -as you said yourself, everyone's experiences are different. I find the social pressures here just as bad for kids - there are 9 year olds in my daughters class with false nails, bras and highlights. I was watching one of the morning shows the other week (not through choice but in a clinic waiting room) and the bird that does the house cleaning hints and tips was on with her daughter who looked about 12 - and there she was with a full set of manicured, painted false nails - and on national TV. I was gobsmacked. I see just as many young girls caked in make up here and wearing and wearing strapless mini dresses that cover very little as I did in england - the only difference is that they aren't turning blue with the cold LOL!! and they also talk of pashing each other in primary school here.

my point is also that there is good and bad everywhere - and yes many kids will thrive in oz and love the way of life - but it doesnt come automatically guaranteed with the visa as some would have you think.

Last edited by merleoberon; Dec 19th 2009 at 1:26 am.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

I told a friend about how people get quite anxious during bush fire season and he laughed and said ''no more chance of that than getting stabbed in England''.

People can't get their heads around the fact that Australia is really no safer. Crime per capita is basically the same in Aus as in UK - in some cases actually worse in Aus.

The media does always portray Britain negatively and Australia positively. I hate the Aussie media. It's dreadful.
agreed. the radio is the worst - that station that has "the friday f****wit" spot at 830am - the bleep does not cover the F word very well - its quite clear what they are saying - I'm not prude and have been known to utter the ocassional swear word - but on the school run?? i think not. so crass.