Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I wanna live where there is no crime....

Wikiposts

I wanna live where there is no crime....

Old Dec 11th 2009, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute
Default I wanna live where there is no crime....

Can someone please tell me where they think is a nice place to live in the UK with low crime rates?

I'm not complaining mind,.......but if we plan on selling up sometime in the next year or so and leaving the valleys of SE Wales.....I want a place where I can at least expect the police to respond if we call them.

Today we had a couple of drunks stroll into the Post Office with a snout full......puffing away on their fags and cans in hand.....they slammed the door open almost breaking the glass, cursing as they walked in.... When we told them to get out.........they started cursing louder, making threats to us and to customers, generally acting like two (insert ugly words here) .......sooooo......since they are standing right outside our door, making not nice with people walking in.......and just a couple of weeks ago a guy was stabbed at the Spar up the street for standing up to similar acting thugs.........we called the cops......oh yes they told us that it was serious and they would send someone right away......we'll that was at 4:30...........and we never saw the first police car respond..............so much for what the police will do for me and their stupid campaign smeared all over the telly about what the police would do for us.

Thankfully the drunks eventually forgot why they were standing outside cussing us all out and staggered off.

I love the UK, but I am getting seriously fed up with how the police are virtually useless.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I wanna live where there is no crime....

move to australia then - there is no crime here
Old Dec 11th 2009, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by merleoberon
None whatsoever, really?
Old Dec 11th 2009, 5:24 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/...alia/cri-crime
Old Dec 11th 2009, 5:31 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scout
Can someone please tell me where they think is a nice place to live in the UK with low crime rates?

I'm not complaining mind,.......but if we plan on selling up sometime in the next year or so and leaving the valleys of SE Wales.....I want a place where I can at least expect the police to respond if we call them.

Today we had a couple of drunks stroll into the Post Office with a snout full......puffing away on their fags and cans in hand.....they slammed the door open almost breaking the glass, cursing as they walked in.... When we told them to get out.........they started cursing louder, making threats to us and to customers, generally acting like two (insert ugly words here) .......sooooo......since they are standing right outside our door, making not nice with people walking in.......and just a couple of weeks ago a guy was stabbed at the Spar up the street for standing up to similar acting thugs.........we called the cops......oh yes they told us that it was serious and they would send someone right away......we'll that was at 4:30...........and we never saw the first police car respond..............so much for what the police will do for me and their stupid campaign smeared all over the telly about what the police would do for us.

Thankfully the drunks eventually forgot why they were standing outside cussing us all out and staggered off.

I love the UK, but I am getting seriously fed up with how the police are virtually useless.
I think you echo the concerns of lots of people.

It is not always the more extreme crimes which affect the QOL of the man/woman in the street, its this kind of lower level abuse which is either observed, or experienced directly which leads people like yourself to despair and want to move somewhere more peaceful.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I think you echo the concerns of lots of people.

It is not always the more extreme crimes which affect the QOL of the man/woman in the street, its this kind of lower level abuse which is either observed, or experienced directly which leads people like yourself to despair and want to move somewhere more peaceful.
Naaaaaa it's not that ........I am used to crime.........I lived in Atlanta with lots of crime for years..........it's the fact that the police don't even come when you call them here. Even in Atlanta they eventually showed up........it may have taken them 30 minutes but they showed up. Here, the police don't even bother.....but they do love to send out leaflets telling you what a good job they are doing.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 9:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about this, Scout. I think the sad truth is that, in general, you get better police response if you live in more affluent areas in the UK. I don't know if it's because there is more resource put into policing these areas, or that in high crime/low SES areas the police are so busy filling in all the bloody paperwork they have to follow up with these days that they don't have time to actually do any policing (another sad aspect of life in the UK - over-bureacratisation). Regardless, you should get some support when a pair of eejits like that walk into your shop and cause trouble.

I hope this doesn't turn into one of those stupid threads where the Godzoners, etc. get into a boring interminable spat of whose country's crime statistics are better/more accurate than whose.

Last edited by dunroving; Dec 11th 2009 at 9:39 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 2:46 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

A stone cottage on the outer Hebrides maybe?
Theres no such place really, crime is everywhere, just some areas are better than others.
Wasn't there some sort of interactive map of UK crime floating around here a while back?
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew

surely this can't be true? I was led to believe that everyone was too busy having a barbie and surfing to partake in crime? do the people migrating here know this??
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not bad around here, crime is there but at a very low level. West Oxfordshire is one of the lowest crime areas of the UK. However it's human nature that wherever there are people there will be some crime.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Suffolk, North Yorkshire, Horsham in Sussex, Mole Valley District in Surrey are some comparatively low crime areas.

Police response abilities and timescales are another matter.

I don't want to get into a police response debate really - suffice to say I worked in a response control room for a good while - and the number of calls for assistance versus the number of officers available to send was a constant battle for the police and the public alike.

However, I completely understand your frustration when you are told you will get a response and then nothing happens at all. Poor courtesy, if nothing else!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:33 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Funday is pretty crime free.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Funday is pretty crime free.
I agree..i live there and it's fandabidozi
Old Dec 16th 2009, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

There's the Pitcairn Islands. Oh never mind.... Anyway, unfortunately, the affluent areas do tend to have less crime. I don't know them well, but the South Wales valleys don't have the greatest reputation. What about other areas close by like Monmouth, Ross, Ledbury? Probably fairly pricy mind.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol.......nope no trouble in Northbridge.....Fremantle....no body is setting the bush opposite where we live alight.....no gun hold up in the local subway.....and heck..nobody threaterns you on the train..and this is a very nice area.......nope no crime...perfect place to live....lol...oh and the police come straight away.....not......but then again is that not like a lot of places around this globe.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.