Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I so miss working in the UK

I so miss working in the UK

Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I so miss working in the UK

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was just responding to the comment about people desperate to keep their jobs. There are those with medical conditions and ongoing treatment that may not be affordable if they lost a job that included coverage for it.
This is very true. When my diabetic hubby lost his job last year we lost all the medical benefits as I was working for the not for profit with no benefits. It ended up having to be me who changed jobs to make sure I could get insurance in a new job so we didn't have to find $1000/mth for his prescriptions... Balance has been restored, I hated where I went to work but hubby found another job so I quit and went back to working for the "no benefits" type of people I enjoy! lol
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 1:11 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
my understanding of any profession is that its always about money or elevated status & personal self-righteousness, with the service factor or care on the back burner.

They say the Canadian health care system is one of the best... when a GP can push 80 -100 patients a day through their door, its makes you wonder.
Actually Canada only comes just above the America in health care rankings...no 10 out of Western countries. I personally don't think it's a surprise that the UK came first..

Will try and hunt the reference out for you!
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 2:54 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Actually Canada only comes just above the America in health care rankings...no 10 out of Western countries. I personally don't think it's a surprise that the UK came first..

Will try and hunt the reference out for you!
This one?. Mirror, Mirror on the Wall, 2014 Update: How the U.S. Health Care System Compares Internationally - The Commonwealth Fund
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 4:58 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wombat7
interesting, I worked most of my professional life in Toronto and did not experience what you have. As to medical benefits we are talking dental and prescription as opposed to other medical treatment.

Interesting, I had someone working for me, who I inherited, took me two years to get rid of him, and he got a great package.

Still, everyone's mileage varies
Our contracts stated we could be let go immediately and for no reason given. Everyone signed on to this.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 4:11 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Ta muchly
Old Jan 5th 2015, 5:11 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
Our contracts stated we could be let go immediately and for no reason given. Everyone signed on to this.
It would still have to comply with BC Labour Standards, which requires just cause or notice per the act. It may prevent or limit law suits through civil actions and common law though.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
It would still have to comply with BC Labour Standards, which requires just cause or notice per the act. It may prevent or limit law suits through civil actions and common law though.
Wondered about that. Did not think one could contract away legal rights, but I am not a lawyer.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:24 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Aviator
No notice was given to terminated employees as far as I know. High Tech jobs are exempt from certain sections of the BC Employment Standards Act. I'm not if written notice of termination if excluded.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

craig_hoxton is an unknown quantity at this point

I miss the cheeky banter, going to the pub for lunch and the after work drinks (usually it was a Thursday). Also miss the higher professional standards: in the UK, when someone tells you they will do something, it gets done. Canada meanwhile...
Old Jan 17th 2015, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
I experienced similar and more in the workplace in Canada - racism, sexism, bullying, cronyism etc. I've witnessed co-workers yelling and threatening other co-workers (managers claiming to hear nothing). Co-workers physically assaulting other co-workers. At least 2 women quit because of co-workers coming on to them. Co-worker boasting of his gang connections and guns("he's such a hard worker" we're told)and swaggering around the office trying to intimidate everyone he sees beneath him. Co-worker making indirect threats to customer who complained about their service. Viagara tablets in desk drawers (for what purpose?). As far as I could see no one lifted a finger. I'm sure in a similar UK office environment there would have been more outspokenness about this type of behaviour. Add to this crap benefits and job security (dozens of conscientious workers let go at the drop of a hat). I think people put up with a lot of crap here just to keep their jobs.
Holy crap, where were you working? I've never witnessed anything like this ( in Canada or the UK).

Benefits is an interesting topic. Our employer offers a decent total package - I think our employees appreciate them for the main part but a sizeable percentage are very "entitled" about what can or cannot be covered.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Holy crap, where were you working? I've never witnessed anything like this ( in Canada or the UK).

Benefits is an interesting topic. Our employer offers a decent total package - I think our employees appreciate them for the main part but a sizeable percentage are very "entitled" about what can or cannot be covered.
I agree the benefits are the only things I have experienced differently to the UK. But then vacation entitlement is different here anyway and of course medical coverage too.

When I worked at TD Insurance, just for 6 months, between personal time and vacation I got 4 weeks and I also got the top level of health insurance. They gave sick pay from day one too so tbh I think that there are employers in Canada who are just as good as in the UK.

I'm drawn to the small independent employers though and so I am now settled in a job with zero benefits and the minimum vacation but I wouldn't swap it for the world...big corporate is not for me!!!!