Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I was only halp-joking when I called it a cult......

I was only halp-joking when I called it a cult......

Old May 14th 2007, 6:18 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute
Default I was only half-joking when I called it a cult......

And now I've just read on an the Oz forum thread that if a person is unhappy in Australia the minimum time to "settle" is 2 years (!) , and that if your partner is unhappy being here they should be drugged by their doctor. :curse:

Wow. The Oz Cult have outdone themselves this time.

Last edited by mackinnon; May 14th 2007 at 6:23 am.
Old May 14th 2007, 6:20 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: I was only halp-joking when I called it a cult......

Originally Posted by mackinnon
And now I've just read on a Barbie thread that if a person is unhappy in Australia the minimum time to "settle" is 2 years (!) , and that if your partner is unhappy being here they should be drugged by their doctor. :curse:

i think you're taking that out of context

Last edited by gedge; May 14th 2007 at 6:22 am. Reason: thread moved forums
Old May 14th 2007, 6:27 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

People who are loving their lives here will never, ever understand how it feels to be so homesick.

Oh, I've been here three years and I've tried the AD's....didn't really work....I still don't like it here
Old May 14th 2007, 6:30 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
i think you're taking that out of context
Here's the post then:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=48

And the thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449459

Last edited by mackinnon; May 14th 2007 at 6:33 am.
Old May 14th 2007, 6:39 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I was only half-joking when I called it a cult......

And now I've just read on an the Oz forum thread that if a person is unhappy in Australia the minimum time to "settle" is 2 years (!) , and that if your partner is unhappy being here they should be drugged by their doctor. :curse:

'The Oz Cult'

God you're sad.
Old May 14th 2007, 6:44 am

gedge has disabled reputation

as was already discussed, the comment about the AD's could be at worst read as misplaced humour
and as for 2 years.. how long would you suggest it takes for someone to really know whether a move is right for them?
i'm not here to defend the poster, i just think you're trying to make something from nothing
Old May 14th 2007, 10:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

as was already discussed, the comment about the AD's could be at worst read as misplaced humour
and as for 2 years.. how long would you suggest it takes for someone to really know whether a move is right for them?
i'm not here to defend the poster, i just think you're trying to make something from nothing
I'm inclined to agree, the post is out of context, and who knows, maybe a doctor could help. Who knows, worth a try.

Last edited by Pollyana; May 14th 2007 at 10:26 am.
Old May 14th 2007, 11:03 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's bad that a joke would be made out of something as serious as depression, i lost a cousin to it , she commited suicide she held back and never told anyone how she was feeling alot to do with the stigma attached to taking anti depressants.

kezx
Old May 14th 2007, 5:33 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely every case is individual and should be treated as such. In some cases AD's may help people come to terms with the shock of a new life/culture/homesickness etc. Some people though just immediately know that it isn't what they need at all - they just need to get home. The move has been an awful mistake.

I think also that saying an absolute minumum settling in time of two years may be fine for those who haven't settled but still want to give it a try. Other people though find that as it isn't what they thought it would be, why bother.

Why put yourself through 2 years of misery either emotionally or financially when you can get yourself back to your old life. They can see that the country they have moved to just does not offer what they want or need.For some people they just don't realise how good their lives are or how they will feel about it until they do it. We obviously all move with the intentions of staying forever but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way and we all have different reasons for it not working out.

There can be no rules on this - everyone and every situation is completely different so should be treated differently.
Old May 15th 2007, 8:22 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I think if someone is unhappy in any situation, 2 years can seem like twenty and getting through each day is incredibly difficult.

And unless someone is that unhappy themselves, they cannot imagine what it's like to try and exist let alone put a time limit on it to put up with it.

It must be horrible, Ive lived in an area I didn't like one time and that was bad enough, even harder when that place is in another country.
Old May 16th 2007, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I think if someone is unhappy in any situation, 2 years can seem like twenty and getting through each day is incredibly difficult.

And unless someone is that unhappy themselves, they cannot imagine what it's like to try and exist let alone put a time limit on it to put up with it.

It must be horrible, Ive lived in an area I didn't like one time and that was bad enough, even harder when that place is in another country.
Superb post and that is exactly how I feel!!!

I would love to get citizenship, not because I want to stay here but for the "just in case" scenario sometime down the line. However I am very homesick and unhappy here a lot of the time and getting to the 2 years does feel like 20 years!! (we've been here 5 months).

I know its easy for people in the UK to say things like "dont be stupid, just do your 2 years, it will be over before you know it" etc and I would've said the same prior to migrating here, but its a whole different ball game once you get here if you're unhappy, everyday takes forever and feels like groundhog day! Obviously there are some good days as well but on the whole the 2 years scenario feels like an eternity away.
Old May 16th 2007, 7:53 am

I also think that waiting for your citizenship isnt everything, im doing it more for my 4 year old daughter want her to have the opportunity to live here if she chooses too when she is older without all the stuff we went through to come here.

We have no plans to return home yet but are going back to the uk in the december for a holiday that will help us decide were we really want to be.

kezx
Old May 16th 2007, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kez81
I also think that waiting for your citizenship isnt everything, im doing it more for my 4 year old daughter want her to have the opportunity to live here if she chooses too when she is older without all the stuff we went through to come here.

We have no plans to return home yet but are going back to the uk in the december for a holiday that will help us decide were we really want to be.

kezx
You also have to remember it's not like you can get instant citizenship after two years. In Perth there is a four month waiting list for interviews, and then you have to do the ceremony and get your passports.
Old May 16th 2007, 8:22 am

yeh i know, like i said we have no plans to return home yet we are probably here for the next year or 2 been here almost 2 years already, so no real rush for it we have our interview in july but it will probably be late 2007 early 2008 before we are citzeins.

But i do understand why people go home without it 6 mths in i wanted to leave still do but ive promised my OH i will stick it out to see how his new business goes first im getting my holiday back at xmas so hopefully that will keep me going you never now i might come back and realise i love perth..........i doubt it!!!

kezx

Last edited by kez81; May 16th 2007 at 8:26 am.
Old May 19th 2007, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

You think the Oz forum is a cult, this place is one helluva of a cult!!!