Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I dont want to be here!!!!

I dont want to be here!!!!

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:43 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I dont want to be here!!!!

After 20 mths here my homesickness is as strong as ever, its great when family/friends come over but for about a week after they leave im so down in the dump, expecting a baby in August my mum and dad are going to come over for 3 weeks then god knows what i will be like when they go back

Follow your heart and do what's best for you, your lucky to have such a supportive husband.

kez
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Beryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I don't think Yorkshire is any better than a lot of other places in the UK. I just think this immigration lark suits some and doesn't others. It sure has some beautiful places but far too full of Yorkshire folk for my liking

Now the other side of the Pennines, now that is a different story.
That was a joke, right?
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:49 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beryl the Peril
That was a joke, right?
You never quite know
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:56 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
You never quite know
now what the hell was so contentious about my post. The smiley gave it away I thought. Most people know I am a Lancastrian.

Last edited by northernbird; Apr 2nd 2007 at 11:01 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're really unhappy, go home. Don't suffer.
If you can then maybe stay 'til Christmas & really pack in all the touristy things & make the most of a bad situation. Make it into a LONG holiday? It may make it more bearable?
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
Most people know I am a Lancastrian.
I didn't. I just thought you were an 'argumentative' !!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 11:41 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I didn't. I just thought you were an 'argumentative' !!
yes I can be. Of late I have tried to restrain myself. It was affecting me away from the site which is not a good thing.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 7:44 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Est
For me it is not getting any easier - if anything worse. I want to go home NOW. We have been in Brisbane 3 months tomorrow.

I cannot decide whether to try and sell the house in October and try and be home for xmas or wait until my sister in law and her hubby and two friends have been at xmas and sell in January. They have put no pressure on us to stay here for them as they would only be with us for 4 days over xmas as they are travelling alot of oz while they are here.

Plus they are coming out on their own to see us in June. They should have our visa as they love it here.

Decisions - what would you do??
I'd hang in there and just pretend it's one looooooooooooooong holiday!

That's what I'm doing anyhow - been "on holiday" now for over 2 years! It's just an adventure!

Try to keep positive and don't think of it as "forever" - there's nothing stopping you going home one day (this is what I keep telling myself anyway!!!)
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

I felt like this not so long ago.... I was confused, guilty, sad...very sad. Someone replied to my post saying " if you are miserable come back". It was that simple in the end! My heart ached for England and the thought of years more in Oz would destroy me. We also wanted to get on with baby number 3 and this has already been delayed 6 months. At my age I need to get cracking. The thought of bringing a child into the world in Oz horrified me. Stuff everyone else and do what is right for you. It is easier once the decision is made.
I hope it is a clearcut for you as it was for me in the end.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Goldend Dreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: I dont want to be here!!!!

Originally Posted by Est
For me it is not getting any easier - if anything worse. I want to go home NOW. We have been in Brisbane 3 months tomorrow.

I cannot decide whether to try and sell the house in October and try and be home for xmas or wait until my sister in law and her hubby and two friends have been at xmas and sell in January. They have put no pressure on us to stay here for them as they would only be with us for 4 days over xmas as they are travelling alot of oz while they are here.

Plus they are coming out on their own to see us in June. They should have our visa as they love it here.

We returned after 3 months - I was so full of euphoria on the plane back that I could have burst!

Our marriage almost crumbled but we are over it now and happier than we have ever been!

England is a wonderful place & "the grass is not always greener on the other side!".

My eldest daughter hated it in Oz and is loving her teenage life back in Yorkshire!

We are considering going back for a couple of years to that we have the option to retire there later in life but have decided that Oz is not for us permanently.

We are waiting until my eldest daughter finishes her exams in Sept 08 - then we may (& only may try it again). We have until April 2010 to try again. My daughter has already told us that she will not be comin back with and will be staying in Yorkshire to live with her Grandma!

I love it in Yorkshire and there is no better place in the world - but adventure is calling us again!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Beryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goldend Dreamer
We returned after 3 months - I was so full of euphoria on the plane back that I could have burst!

Our marriage almost crumbled but we are over it now and happier than we have ever been!

England is a wonderful place & "the grass is not always greener on the other side!".

My eldest daughter hated it in Oz and is loving her teenage life back in Yorkshire!

We are considering going back for a couple of years to that we have the option to retire there later in life but have decided that Oz is not for us permanently.

We are waiting until my eldest daughter finishes her exams in Sept 08 - then we may (& only may try it again). We have until April 2010 to try again. My daughter has already told us that she will not be comin back with and will be staying in Yorkshire to live with her Grandma!

I love it in Yorkshire and there is no better place in the world - but adventure is calling us again!
At the risk of sounding rude, which is not my intention at all, this does sound like a contradiction. Why would you retire to Oz, when you clearly say Oz is not for you permanently? I'm not judging you, but my own take on it is that the older you get, the MORE you need your friends and family around you. Even at 50-something, I feel this very much so. Largely our main reason for going back to UK. You sound so happy in Yorkshire, and your kids. I'd seriously think about staying there, rather than isolating yourselves on the other side of the world again. You, as I would imagine most of us, will really be glad to be near our nearest and dearest in later life.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Goldend Dreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: I dont want to be here!!!!

At the risk of sounding rude, which is not my intention at all, this does sound like a contradiction. Why would you retire to Oz, when you clearly say Oz is not for you permanently? I'm not judging you, but my own take on it is that the older you get, the MORE you need your friends and family around you. Even at 50-something, I feel this very much so. Largely our main reason for going back to UK. You sound so happy in Yorkshire, and your kids. I'd seriously think about staying there, rather than isolating yourselves on the other side of the world again. You, as I would imagine most of us, will really be glad to be near our nearest and dearest in later life.

Yes you are right in what you say but it is a "keeping our options" open thing!

We are lucky enough to have the choice. Time will tell but I'm in no rush to get back to Oz - just yet!?*

We travelled loads whilst we were there and eventually drove across the Nullabor from Brisbane to Perth before deciding to come back.

Time wil tell x
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Goldend Dreamer
Yes you are right in what you say but it is a "keeping our options" open thing!

We are lucky enough to have the choice. Time will tell but I'm in no rush to get back to Oz - just yet!?*

We travelled loads whilst we were there and eventually drove across the Nullabor from Brisbane to Perth before deciding to come back.

Time wil tell x
I take your point. We are returning to England in July (been in Perth for just two years now!) and even though there are things we will obvisouly miss (not least, the blue sky and stunning ocean) there's little else that would keep me here. But who knows, our son may decide to live out here again one day (he's 16 now) and being our only one, we may just have to move back with him. It's all in the great 'unknown' really isn't it!

We too did a lot of travelling around Oz including the Nullabor but that was 20years ago. I think it's important to see as much as you can, because otherwise it's easy to judge the whole country on the place where you live and feel unhappy in.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Beryl, hows it going?

I think what she (Goldend dreamer) meant was that she was agreeing with you that she wants to be near her nearest and dearest later in life - but they could be her children, not parents. If the kids live in Oz, it would be easier to join them as a pensioner if they had C-Ship. I think

Anyways, what are you doing now?
Very hot today in uk for April kids swimming all pm and me sitting by public swimming pool outside. (entrance £1.30 a child)Its really a nice country (so was Oz) and I cant see why people knock it. Petrol station next door selling Freetrade coffee for 10p as so many of us out here one side. other people sitting outside pub the other side. Now, why did i bother with the coffee. need alcohol its great when you dont have to watch them as lifeguards there
c
Old Apr 11th 2007, 6:02 am
Just Joined

pomy2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Est

We have been here for almost six years and my hubbie would go back tomorrow, my son has just returned here from the UK and Europe and is going back there asap - he says there is no soul or backbone here (Also says you come to the Sunny coast to die!!). I am willing to leave Oz but not for the UK, maybe somewhere different (I love Thailand) Trouble is with Oz -it's too expensive and too far from everywhere! I suppose it depends what you want at the end of the day. I just know I don't want to be here in beautiful.......but boring Noosa!