British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   I did it (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/i-did-923339/)

Beraider Mar 18th 2019 7:52 pm

I did it

Well nearly anyway.

Sitting at a major East Coast Airport waiting for my last transatlantic flight home. After 24 years it was just time to get home. Sold the house, sold the car and scrapped everything that wouldn't fit into three checked and one carry on bag. All my worldly possesions in four luggage bags. Without the help of this site and some individuals, who shall remain nameless, I doubt I would have made it. To those individuals who unselfishly give their time freely with advice and such, a huge thank you.

Took a lot of planning, two years, a lot of reading and research but it's doable even if it does seem really daunting at first glance. Bought a house and a car whilst still in the US.

Thinking back when I first flew out to San Francisco, the back five rows on the Jumbo were smoking and there was always a party going on. Lots has changed in these 24 years, lots.

Anyway, just passing time and letting people know, if you really want to head back, you can make it happen, not easy at all but I am so pleased and relieved I'm going to be where I need to be and where I will spend my final days feeling like i belong. It just feels the right place to be. Silly really but that's how it felt the last few times I visited. Home.

Caroline in Arizona Mar 18th 2019 8:26 pm

Re: I did it

Beraider,

What a lovely update. Delighted you are going Home. Agree it’s crazy to think there used to be smoking on the plane. Hope all goes well for you. Really enjoyed reading your post. Best wishes.

Sammy2018 Mar 18th 2019 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Beraider (Post 12655943)
Well nearly anyway.

Sitting at a major East Coast Airport waiting for my last transatlantic flight home. After 24 years it was just time to get home. Sold the house, sold the car and scrapped everything that wouldn't fit into three checked and one carry on bag. All my worldly possesions in four luggage bags. Without the help of this site and some individuals, who shall remain nameless, I doubt I would have made it. To those individuals who unselfishly give their time freely with advice and such, a huge thank you.

Took a lot of planning, two years, a lot of reading and research but it's doable even if it does seem really daunting at first glance. Bought a house and a car whilst still in the US.

Thinking back when I first flew out to San Francisco, the back five rows on the Jumbo were smoking and there was always a party going on. Lots has changed in these 24 years, lots.

Anyway, just passing time and letting people know, if you really want to head back, you can make it happen, not easy at all but I am so pleased and relieved I'm going to be where I need to be and where I will spend my final days feeling like i belong. It just feels the right place to be. Silly really but that's how it felt the last few times I visited. Home.

For sure a lot has changed over the years . I hope the last part of your journey is uneventful and you are able to close your eyes and rest for a few hours. At least your arriving to calmer winds.

brits1 Mar 19th 2019 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Beraider (Post 12655943)
Well nearly anyway.

not
Welcome back home, may the next part of your life's journey be everything you wish for....and a pat on the back for achieving what you have done. Good luck