Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I am soooooo ready to move! (Beware a vent)

I am soooooo ready to move! (Beware a vent)

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute
Default I am soooooo ready to move! (Beware a vent)

Pardon me........I just have to let off steam.

We've been in the Welsh Valleys 6 years since we moved back from the States.......and I'm sorry, but I've had a gut full of it. Our neighbors across the street are the neighbors from hell. They have a bazillion children who are running wild. I've lost track how many times the police have been called over there for various reasons. The children seem to think the middle of the street is the place to kick the football and that parked cars are goal posts. Last weekend we had a lovely little confrontation with them over their little darlings and their two dozen friends that congregate there every evening.

Now today we settle in for a nice relaxing weekend and my other neighbors mother knocks our door to tell us her grown son was 'tusseling' on the pavement with some other lads and one of them 'accidentally' knocked our wing mirror off our car. She was nice about it, said she would paid for it, begged my husband not to call the police (which old softie me convinced him not to call them because they fessed up to it). But it's all so tiresome. The 'lad' is 20 something and he'd already been in the pub having god knows how many pints........and now I have to go to Cardiff on Monday to get a new wing mirror. They wanted me to get it fixed at a garage rather than take it to the dealer......but the car's under warranty and we insisted it's the dealer or nothing.

I am counting the days until we can put our house on the market, sell up and move to the coast somewhere. Now if I can just find the perfect English coastal village that has no one under age 30.........no crime and no pesky drunken tourists. I'd even settle for a village in the Cotswolds if we can't find the perfect coastal village. Mostly I just want to move where it's dead quiet and boring. *sigh*
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:30 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am soooooo ready to move! (Beware a vent)

Originally Posted by Scout
Mostly I just want to move where it's dead quiet and boring. *sigh*
I knew someone who lived in Gunnerside, Swaledale - highly recommended for quiet and boring (and stunningly beautiful). But did I mention boring?
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

You know.........if Yorkshire wasn't so far north, I'd seriously consider it. Beautiful country, lovely people....just a wee bit too far north.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:30 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that Dawlish is pretty quiet, and the average age seems to be over 50. It's not a huge tourist draw, especially for younger people, so I'm not aware of anything much going on late at night.

I think Sidmouth is another quiet one with a mostly-older population.

What took you to your current location?

Bev
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
I have to say that Dawlish is pretty quiet, and the average age seems to be over 50. It's not a huge tourist draw, especially for younger people, so I'm not aware of anything much going on late at night.
I think Sidmouth is another quiet one with a mostly-older population.
Yep, Dawlish is nice. Not far to Exeter too. I always liked Tegnmouth too.

Sidmouth...lovely tea rooms on an upper floor of a large shop if you want to go back in time. Last time I was there, there was a bylaw preventing the eating of chips on the front, which is a shame, but perhaps an indication of how nice they want to keep things.

It gets a bit more touristy, but not like Weymouth or something. And the folk festival is a big draw.

Always liked Exmouth too. Nice gardens.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Now if I can just find the perfect English coastal village that has no one under age 30.........no crime and no pesky drunken tourists. I'd even settle for a village in the Cotswolds if we can't find the perfect coastal village. Mostly I just want to move where it's dead quiet and boring. *sigh*
Let me know where you find that. That's exactly what I am looking for too.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:06 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Whats your budget?

Look at Porlock in Somerset. Very quiet but close to Minehead (30 min drive) and some other coastal villages/towns

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...includeSSTC=on

I would imagine it would be a very quiet life.

The kind of situation you describe (ie neighbours from hell type scenario, would send me doolally I am afraid).
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just got through exploring houses around Sidmouth on line. Lovely looking! I'm going to seriously start saving every realtor's site in the areas that seem interesting. RightMove is ok....but the local realtors have even more in the area.

Our budget is variable. We've decided that when we sell up here we're going to rent. DH says we can go to a thousand a month.......I'm more for find a cute cottage cheaper with only two bedrooms (less to clean).....a small garden and close to a nice beach to take walks along. We'll probably put our house on the market early next year, if not before then.

Bevm, we came back to the valleys because DH was raised here....but he's originally from England. I love the beauty of the valleys, but I have to say it's worn me down with the yobs the past few years. They have gotten worse and the police can't seem to find their way out of a wardrobe.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:32 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Now if I can just find the perfect English coastal village that has no one under age 30.........no crime and no pesky drunken tourists. I'd even settle for a village in the Cotswolds if we can't find the perfect coastal village. Mostly I just want to move where it's dead quiet and boring. *sigh*
You'll find that village in the 1950's Find the tardis and go back and have a look.

I can't imagine such rotten neighbors, how awful. We've had bad ones but not that bad.
Can you send the rotten neighbors on holiday for a month while you find a buyer?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 11:21 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

RightMove is ok....but the local realtors have even more in the area.
I've found this to be very true in my target area for rentals. The good properties go without ever touching the Internet because each real estate agent has a list of people waiting for properties. Since we won't be able to look from here, we are going to have to find the money to pay a professional home finder one month's rent - a pain, but probably worth it in the end.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

Dawlish! That's where I grew up, and my parents still live there. They're a little too near the school. Schools have teenagers, and teenagers are not quiet.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 4:10 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

It's true what they say, "Hell is other people"!

I think the situation can very within a very short distance, even from streeet to street within the same locale & it can make all the difference to how you feel about a place. Hope you find somewhere better suited for you - we're moving to the Cheltenham edge of the Cotswolds, don't go there or it will get overcrowded & ruin it for us!
Old Jul 27th 2011, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Whats your budget?

Look at Porlock in Somerset. Very quiet but close to Minehead (30 min drive) and some other coastal villages/towns

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...includeSSTC=on

I would imagine it would be a very quiet life.

The kind of situation you describe (ie neighbours from hell type scenario, would send me doolally I am afraid).
Thanks - I LOVE this site. Drawing in an area is so helpful. I've been using Zoopla, which is good too, so between the two here's hoping we can find our little gem!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:49 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Spritzer
Thanks - I LOVE this site. Drawing in an area is so helpful. I've been using Zoopla, which is good too, so between the two here's hoping we can find our little gem!
I drove through Porlock on my trip around britain and had a hairy experience driving up Porlock hill...25%...yikes!! Though my car was going to topple backwards!! Very pretty village though.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bandrui
Let me know where you find that. That's exactly what I am looking for too.
Lymington in the new forest. - Bandrui you're probably sick of me harping on about !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.