British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Husbands US Social Security (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/husbands-us-social-security-920227/)

jacks50p Dec 17th 2018 7:18 am

Husbands US Social Security

Still in the very early days of planning returning to the UK and many questions to be answered. Maybe someone knows the answer to this, if they do it would be much appreciated. If I stayed here in the US I would be entitled to SS via my husbands, as a dual citizen would I still be able to receive it once I was in the UK?

durham_lad Dec 17th 2018 2:02 pm

Re: Husbands US Social Security

Originally Posted by jacks50p (Post 12609917)
Still in the very early days of planning returning to the UK and many questions to be answered. Maybe someone knows the answer to this, if they do it would be much appreciated. If I stayed here in the US I would be entitled to SS via my husbands, as a dual citizen would I still be able to receive it once I was in the UK?

I'm pretty sure that the SS rules covering a spouse are exactly the same regardless of where they reside. I'll let you know for sure in about 3 years time when my wife applies. (We are both US/UK citizens living in the UK)

jacks50p Dec 17th 2018 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12609999)
I'm pretty sure that the SS rules covering a spouse are exactly the same regardless of where they reside. I'll let you know for sure in about 3 years time when my wife applies. (We are both US/UK citizens living in the UK)

Thank you, hoping to be there with you by then....so excited!

Vadio Dec 19th 2018 9:55 am

The rules are the same. My husband's SS was topped up via my contributions, and would you believe it, his EX-WIFE gets a small benefit based on my husband's record. DH and I are both dual nationals. He lived in the US for 11 years, and qualified for SS based on his work record there and his UK work record. His ex has NEVER lived in the US or contributed to SS in any way.

Jerseygirl Dec 19th 2018 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Vadio (Post 12610771)
The rules are the same. My husband's SS was topped up via my contributions, and would you believe it, his EX-WIFE gets a small benefit based on my husband's record. DH and I are both dual nationals. He lived in the US for 11 years, and qualified for SS based on his work record there and his UK work record. His ex has NEVER lived in the US or contributed to SS in any way.

Same applies for the UK. The US wife of one of our ex-members gets a UK pension based on his UK contributions. She has never even set foot in the UK.

jacks50p Dec 19th 2018 11:44 am

Re: Husbands SS

Thank you for replies to previous post about husbands SS. I will have worked 14 years in US by the time we leave but his top up will be more than mine. I know I get my UK pension (I worked for 30 years +). Do I get that as well does anyone know?

Jerseygirl Dec 19th 2018 1:15 pm

Re: Husbands SS

Originally Posted by jacks50p (Post 12610798)
Thank you for replies to previous post about husbands SS. I will have worked 14 years in US by the time we leave but his top up will be more than mine. I know I get my UK pension (I worked for 30 years +). Do I get that as well does anyone know?

Rather than have 2 threads on the same subject I have merged the threads.

Giantaxe Dec 19th 2018 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12610779)
Same applies for the UK. The US wife of one of our ex-members gets a UK pension based on his UK contributions. She has never even set foot in the UK.

The UK has ended new claimants on this basis. I think you had to be full pension age by some date in 2016 to be able to do this.

Jerseygirl Dec 19th 2018 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12610922)
The UK has ended new claimants on this basis. I think you has to be full pension age by some date in 2016 to be able to do this.

Good to know. Thanks.

spouse of scouse Dec 20th 2018 12:34 am

For those not already aware - UK and non-UK nationals who are under State pension age and whose spouse/civil partner died after 6 April 2017 may be eligible for bereavement support payments. You need to live in a designated country to be able to access this, the US and the Philippines are two such countries. The payment consists of £2,500 in an initial lump sum, then £100 per month for 18 months. The rates are higher if you have dependent children. There are different payments if your spouse died before 6 April 2017. Info here https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment

durham_lad Dec 20th 2018 7:40 am

Good info SOS, I hadn’t realised the bereavement payments were available overseas.

spouse of scouse Dec 20th 2018 10:02 am

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12611246)
Good info SOS, I hadn’t realised the bereavement payments were available overseas.

:thumbup: