HUGE question

Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold
Default HUGE question

Am moving back to the UK soon with my wife (no kids). We are looking for somewhere where we can afford 2 bed cottage (£150-180000) semi rural, but with large town nearby. Horseriding, good employment ( not worried about good pay neccessarily as no mortgage) lovely scenery for horse and dogs etc. Have looked at Yorkshire dales (just about possible!) Any othe ideas??????? We are just after a quiet life in a rural setting earning enough to get by!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: HUGE question

Originally Posted by Olias
Am moving back to the UK soon with my wife (no kids). We are looking for somewhere where we can afford 2 bed cottage (£150-180000) semi rural, but with large town nearby. Horseriding, good employment ( not worried about good pay neccessarily as no mortgage) lovely scenery for horse and dogs etc. Have looked at Yorkshire dales (just about possible!) Any othe ideas??????? We are just after a quiet life in a rural setting earning enough to get by!

What about the Ribble Valley? Main town Clitheroe with a population of 10,000 (I shouldn't be telling you this - I don't want my town to get too populated) Check out this website, www.clitheroethefuture.co.uk Manchester is about 35 miles away.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Pleny of places in Derbyshire like that.

Not in the peak district itself but certainly on the fringes.

G
Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

If you like Moors, what about the Scottish Borders?

Rural but Edinburgh/Newcastle are accessible.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:03 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

south downs? 180,000 would get you a 2 bed cottage, maybe somewhere close to Midhurst area. Look along that whole area, Midhurst, Pulburough etcc and to the east of that. Beautiful scenery, lovely towns like chichester and Arundel close by and the more fun towns like Brighton and of course London within the hour. Also the beach is only 30 minutes away.

Lots of horsey stuff, Goodwood races and stables, Cowdray Polo etc etc
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:08 pm
Banned

Old Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to behold

Utlesford, North Essex
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:31 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old Lob
Utlesford, North Essex

Plenty of lovely 2 bed cottages all over the UK with your budget, great time to buy as well, have you considered buying at auction? hear there are plenty of real bargains with cash buyers
Olias, I thought you only went to Oz in September,are you coming back for good already?

Last edited by Backhomeatlast; Feb 18th 2008 at 4:37 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G586
If you like Moors, what about the Scottish Borders?

Rural but Edinburgh/Newcastle are accessible.
Ooh, I definitely recommend the Scottish Borders, as that is where I am from. It is quiet there, and close to Edinburgh, a beautiful city, as mentioned above. Of course, I'm not biased though, right
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Crayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud of

Nice situation to be in! Plenty of very nice places up north. York of course is great. I'm more familiar with the south, and would say both Exeter and Bournemouth are fantastic. I would also recommend Bath, but it will cost you. But then again, you would be living in one of the most beautiful cities on earth!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Ive pm'ed u - but wanted to attach this link to a previous thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...93#post4645293
I wanted you to see the pics re my post no 11 as it has horses and dogwalking etc in it but i forgot how to do pics.
Hope link works!
Chrissy
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElaineQ
What about the Ribble Valley? Main town Clitheroe with a population of 10,000 (I shouldn't be telling you this - I don't want my town to get too populated) Check out this website, www.clitheroethefuture.co.uk Manchester is about 35 miles away.
I lived South of Manchester but I use to love the North Lancs area so much...true Lancashire!!! we would love to move to the area but are returning home and our boys want to see and be near our families...maybe in a few years.....
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
Plenty of lovely 2 bed cottages all over the UK with your budget, great time to buy as well, have you considered buying at auction? hear there are plenty of real bargains with cash buyers
Olias, I thought you only went to Oz in September,are you coming back for good already?
Long story, and too personal to tell on a public forum, suffice to say it hasn't worked out, and me and the wife both realise we are English and country bumpkins and want to return to what we know and love!

Glad we tried otherwise it would always have been a case of 'what if?' It just wasn't right for us.

To everyone else who has replied to this thread. thankyou. Rightmove.co.uk is going to get a right hammering!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:55 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I am from just north of Lancaster. Its a lovely area with some nice villages. Close to Lancaster and Kendal, edge of the Lake District and only and hour to Manchester. House prices are high but try searching on the following villages Warton, Silverdale, Over Kellet, Yealand, Arnside.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry that Queensland didnt pan out for you - sounds like the world is your oyster with a return. I reckon you will be spoiled for choice!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:56 am
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by quoll
Sorry that Queensland didnt pan out for you - sounds like the world is your oyster with a return. I reckon you will be spoiled for choice!
I can't stand Queensland, now I know people slag off Perth it has almost become the norm, but for me QLD gets the thumbs down. I lived there many years ago and it was like living in a time warp then. Ok it may have changed, but no thanks.

living here in the UK isn't as bad as painted, it really isn't. We talk ourselves down all the time via the media and we do discuss social and political problems in a way I have never seen in OZ. Maybe ignorance is bliss. This country still has a lot to offer and like anywhere if you get the right place. I head back to Australia in a few weeks because of family, if they were here in the UK I wouldn't, I love it. Good Luck to the op heaps of good places as mentioned above by other posters.

Last edited by bluejohn; Feb 19th 2008 at 6:58 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.