Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How well have your spouses settled?

How well have your spouses settled?

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Sharlene will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How well have your spouses settled?

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
I live in Florida and work from home too and it can be lonely and if I wasn't as close to my husband and didn't have the personality that I do, I think I could easily have gone nuts. Having commuted for years through miserable grey London winters I had always imagined that I would take my laptop out into the Lanai, take a dip between phone calls to cool off and sunbathe whilst working but no, I'm as white as a sheet ha ha. I too am looking forward to having places to walk again, that have a result at the end i.e. Pub vS my current walking trail = big circle through conservation. Pretty but not quite as rewarding.
My walk is through my complex with my Pug, so thats not too far or too long during the summer. Tell me; is it ok for a woman to go have a pint at the pub alone or is that just not done?
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:38 am
Just Joined

oliver.herington is an unknown quantity at this point

Interestingly, the Association of Relocation Professionals (ARP) in the UK states that the number one reason, by a significant margin, attributed to an unsuccessful relocation is the failure of the spouse to adapt to the new environment.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 12:42 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sharlene
My walk is through my complex with my Pug, so thats not too far or too long during the summer. Tell me; is it ok for a woman to go have a pint at the pub alone or is that just not done?
Plenty women go to pubs on their own - I've seen them often either at the bar chatting to locals or sat quietly in a corner reading a book/using laptop etc. Obviously pick your pub though

Good luck with the move.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 3:25 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Plenty women go to pubs on their own - I've seen them often either at the bar chatting to locals or sat quietly in a corner reading a book/using laptop etc. Obviously pick your pub though

Good luck with the move.
Yep. Depends entirely on the pub, which can be assessed by just poking your head 'round the door, or even from the way it 'looks' from outside.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:31 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
I live in Florida and work from home too and it can be lonely and if I wasn't as close to my husband and didn't have the personality that I do, I think I could easily have gone nuts. Having commuted for years through miserable grey London winters I had always imagined that I would take my laptop out into the Lanai, take a dip between phone calls to cool off and sunbathe whilst working but no, I'm as white as a sheet ha ha. I too am looking forward to having places to walk again, that have a result at the end i.e. Pub vS my current walking trail = big circle through conservation. Pretty but not quite as rewarding.
i miss having anywhere to walk too. I doesn't matter much now in Michigan as the snow has arrived but even in summer there is nowhere just to stroll too. I cant wait to get up on a saturday morning and wander to the local greasy spoon for a fry up and a read of a two week old Manchester Evening News!!!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:35 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Yep. Depends entirely on the pub, which can be assessed by just poking your head 'round the door, or even from the way it 'looks' from outside.
Oh the joys of a good old british pub. I will always remember my wifes face when some guy at the next table started to build a doob without a care. She kept prodding me. We were in the vault of a right shite hole in salford and there were old folk everywhere - they are just like - having a spliff sonny? Good on ya, do you good it will, better than this piss I'm pouring down me neck!!!

I think you would get five years for that here. Oh how we did larf!!!