Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How well have your spouses settled?

How well have your spouses settled?

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:30 pm
  #16  
Just Joined
 
Sharlene's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 15
Sharlene will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How well have your spouses settled?

Originally Posted by USAGypsies View Post
I live in Florida and work from home too and it can be lonely and if I wasn't as close to my husband and didn't have the personality that I do, I think I could easily have gone nuts. Having commuted for years through miserable grey London winters I had always imagined that I would take my laptop out into the Lanai, take a dip between phone calls to cool off and sunbathe whilst working but no, I'm as white as a sheet ha ha. I too am looking forward to having places to walk again, that have a result at the end i.e. Pub vS my current walking trail = big circle through conservation. Pretty but not quite as rewarding.
My walk is through my complex with my Pug, so thats not too far or too long during the summer. Tell me; is it ok for a woman to go have a pint at the pub alone or is that just not done?
Sharlene is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:38 am
  #17  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: London
Posts: 4
oliver.herington is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How well have your spouses settled?

Interestingly, the Association of Relocation Professionals (ARP) in the UK states that the number one reason, by a significant margin, attributed to an unsuccessful relocation is the failure of the spouse to adapt to the new environment.
oliver.herington is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2007, 1:42 pm
  #18  
Life is more than a dream
 
LouiseD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kings Moss, UK - it's a bit like Emmerdale
Posts: 1,389
LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How well have your spouses settled?

Originally Posted by Sharlene View Post
My walk is through my complex with my Pug, so thats not too far or too long during the summer. Tell me; is it ok for a woman to go have a pint at the pub alone or is that just not done?
Plenty women go to pubs on their own - I've seen them often either at the bar chatting to locals or sat quietly in a corner reading a book/using laptop etc. Obviously pick your pub though

Good luck with the move.
LouiseD is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2007, 4:25 pm
  #19  
Homebody
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: HOME
Posts: 23,154
Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How well have your spouses settled?

Originally Posted by LouiseD View Post
Plenty women go to pubs on their own - I've seen them often either at the bar chatting to locals or sat quietly in a corner reading a book/using laptop etc. Obviously pick your pub though

Good luck with the move.
Yep. Depends entirely on the pub, which can be assessed by just poking your head 'round the door, or even from the way it 'looks' from outside.
Elvira is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2007, 11:31 pm
  #20  
Bugger Off!
 
Silly Sod's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,858
Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How well have your spouses settled?

Originally Posted by USAGypsies View Post
I live in Florida and work from home too and it can be lonely and if I wasn't as close to my husband and didn't have the personality that I do, I think I could easily have gone nuts. Having commuted for years through miserable grey London winters I had always imagined that I would take my laptop out into the Lanai, take a dip between phone calls to cool off and sunbathe whilst working but no, I'm as white as a sheet ha ha. I too am looking forward to having places to walk again, that have a result at the end i.e. Pub vS my current walking trail = big circle through conservation. Pretty but not quite as rewarding.
i miss having anywhere to walk too. I doesn't matter much now in Michigan as the snow has arrived but even in summer there is nowhere just to stroll too. I cant wait to get up on a saturday morning and wander to the local greasy spoon for a fry up and a read of a two week old Manchester Evening News!!!
Silly Sod is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2007, 11:35 pm
  #21  
Bugger Off!
 
Silly Sod's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,858
Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How well have your spouses settled?

Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
Yep. Depends entirely on the pub, which can be assessed by just poking your head 'round the door, or even from the way it 'looks' from outside.
Oh the joys of a good old british pub. I will always remember my wifes face when some guy at the next table started to build a doob without a care. She kept prodding me. We were in the vault of a right shite hole in salford and there were old folk everywhere - they are just like - having a spliff sonny? Good on ya, do you good it will, better than this piss I'm pouring down me neck!!!

I think you would get five years for that here. Oh how we did larf!!!
Silly Sod is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.