Reload this Page >

How well did the kids cope?

How well did the kids cope?

Old Feb 1st 2019, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Elnino05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How well did the kids cope?

Hi,

We plan to rerun to England after a 4 year journey. Canada is a lovely place but it’s not working for my family so we hope to head back next year.

To those who have returned with kids how did they cope? My daughters will 10 and 6 by then. How did they cope academically? Was it very difficult? I feel so ssorry for uprooting them again but I am now a shadow of myself. I know I just need to move back. I don’t want to spend my life unhappy.

Old Feb 6th 2019, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How well did the kids cope?

Originally Posted by Elnino05
Hi,

We plan to rerun to England after a 4 year journey. Canada is a lovely place but it’s not working for my family so we hope to head back next year.

To those who have returned with kids how did they cope? My daughters will 10 and 6 by then. How did they cope academically? Was it very difficult? I feel so ssorry for uprooting them again but I am now a shadow of myself. I know I just need to move back. I don’t want to spend my life unhappy.

Hi, we did ...very young going to Australia and a 17 and 19 year old coming back...even though both there and back our boys were happy to move but I have always felt a bit guilty..they laughed when I use to mention it a few years ago..and said "dont be daft we had a great time and an even greater time now" I think most parents worry about their children and in hindsight we dont always need to. It's not a fact that a child is happier being with parents that are happy themselves than with unhappy parents it's the truth.
Our boys education was so different from the UK but the British system is so use to students who have lived overseas they did not have any problems, both went to Uni here in the UK (our youngest returned without any formal qualifications and is now a primary school teacher) please try not to worry to much I know it's hard , on both our moves I had many sleepless nights , not for me really mainly our children. You sound a lovely mother and I hope all goes well for your future plans.
Old Feb 7th 2019, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you ever so much Brits1. That made me so teary. I just can’t wait to return to England. I honestly appreciate the experience for myself and kids but not for longer. I know the kids will settle in a matter of time. At least they get to be citizens of another country . Hopefully it will be useful in the future. Thank you.
Old Feb 7th 2019, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you ever so much Brits1. That made me so teary. I just can’t wait to return to England. I honestly appreciate the experience for myself and kids but not for longer. I know the kids will settle in a matter of time. At least they get to be citizens of another country . Hopefully it will be useful in the future. Thank you.
Your most welcome and I really hope all works out, we are all really happy being home which is a huge rerlief as my dad use to say " it all works out in the wash" .it use to annoy me a tiny bit when he use to say it..but it's true. All the best
Old Feb 7th 2019, 9:55 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I know how unhappy you are in Canada, but it would really be worth your while staying until you qualify for citizenship. It is always best to have the same citizenship as your children. Some day one or both may decide that Canada is where they want to live and if you ever change your mind (although you are sure now you won't) it is a very simple process to just up and move back to Canada if you're a citizen. It won't necessarily be easy, or even possible later on when your kids are older. Options are always a good thing to have.
Old Feb 7th 2019, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I know how unhappy you are in Canada, but it would really be worth your while staying until you qualify for citizenship. It is always best to have the same citizenship as your children. Some day one or both may decide that Canada is where they want to live and if you ever change your mind (although you are sure now you won't) it is a very simple process to just up and move back to Canada if you're a citizen. It won't necessarily be easy, or even possible later on when your kids are older. Options are always a good thing to have.
Thanks Dorothy, I really appreciate your kind advise. This is my intention. We qualify in July to be citizens. Hopefully processing time will not be too long. Relocating is plans for sometimes next year. Not too early to start planning. Canada is a great place to be. I hope to be back in the summer for holidays. I like to have the option to be a citizen of another country. You never can tell. A lot of factors put together makes me realize it’s not for me for a long term. If the kids ever decide to move here at least they already have what it takes. They can make use of the opportunity. Thanks Dorothy.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

My youngest daughter is finding it difficult to associate herself as being English.

She was born in Australia

Old Feb 8th 2019, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

She is Australian Why should she choose to idenbtify as "English". ? None of my children self-identify as "Scottish"
Old Feb 8th 2019, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland
My youngest daughter is finding it difficult to associate herself as being English.

Hi , your daughter is not Engllsh as our boys were not Australians, wherever they feel is home will be what matters.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
She is Australian Why should she choose to idenbtify as "English". ? None of my children self-identify as "Scottish"
Not Australian just born there.

Of course its important for her to have a sense of where her family come from

Its not a poiint of a choice

Its a fact she can tell the difference between Australian and New Zealand culture and her asian roots

We will wait till she turns 18 before mentioning the South African side of family
Old Feb 9th 2019, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland

Give her time. I would rather the kids grow and identify to be themselves. Having them to associate and be something in particular would be difficult on both the child and parent. Let her be. She would find herself in no time .