British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   How is the UK Work Landscape? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/how-uk-work-landscape-940674/)

Frankie0089 Sep 15th 2021 6:01 pm

How is the UK Work Landscape?

Hello all,
I’m planning to return to the UK within the next year. I’m not quite ready to retire (I’m about to turn 58) so am planning to stay in the workforce for a while. I have been away for almost 30 years and am wondering if my Americanized outlook and experience (not to mention, ahem, my mature years) will translate well in the UK job market. I admit I am totally disconnected from how job hunting in the UK works these days. There is also the impact of Covid to consider. I have reached out to my LinkedIn network and people I’ve collaborated with over the years, and to be honest they are a bit doom and gloom. Many people on this site seem to either be moving back to retire, or have a corporate transfer so I’m just curious to hear from any others in a similar position to me. I am a sales, advertising and travel marketing professional most of the time, but have run my own business and worked capably in other roles. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

verystormy Sep 16th 2021 5:26 am

Re: How is the UK Work Landscape?

Generally, the job market is very good and for the first time in history we had one million vacancies this week. However, the travel sector was one of the worst hit by the pandemic and there are still a lot of issues facing it.

Frankie0089 Sep 16th 2021 1:05 pm

Thanks for the response. That certainly seems a little more positive than some of the other feedback I have received. I would be very interested in hearing about any UK centric job or networking sites I should subscribe to, similar to LinkedIn or aIndeed etc. Thanks again.

Johnboyuk Sep 18th 2021 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Frankie0089 (Post 13052107)
Thanks for the response. That certainly seems a little more positive than some of the other feedback I have received. I would be very interested in hearing about any UK centric job or networking sites I should subscribe to, similar to LinkedIn or aIndeed etc. Thanks again.

I agree with verystormy. Why not test the waters and put your CV on line with the following sites? You don't have to take the jobs and you may pick up some useful contacts. These are the main ones but there are others. I have never had any luck with Linkedin but it may work for some. Regarding your age, I am in engineering and find many people over 70 are coming back into the workplace after being under the feet at home.

Find 1000s of UK Jobs. Start your job search with Jobsite UK

Jobs are our job | Totaljobs

Pongo Sep 19th 2021 7:15 am

Can you drive a truck?? ;)

jarv5116 Sep 20th 2021 8:28 pm

if you can driver any machinery or heavy equipment or work in construction. it is booming just now. higher than 2008 pre crash.
How long it last before it pops is anyone's guess lol
It can't go on forever it will pop some point soon

Johnboyuk Sep 21st 2021 8:54 am

Originally Posted by jarv5116 (Post 13053644)
if you can driver any machinery or heavy equipment or work in construction. it is booming just now. higher than 2008 pre crash.
How long it last before it pops is anyone's guess lol
It can't go on forever it will pop some point soon

I think the most worrying aspect is the amount of money the government is throwing at just about everything especially in areas that need reform (like the NHS). Boris will probably keep it all going during his tenure and then jump ship leaving a big mess behind him. Either that or there are major tax increases to come. Probably both.

Frankie0089 Sep 21st 2021 12:38 pm

Thanks all for the responses and the links to job sites. Unfortunately I have no construction or truck driving experience, but I can drive a desk pretty well 🙂

Johnboyuk Sep 21st 2021 1:07 pm

When placing a CV on UK job sites, try and structure the CV to target a specific job or role. If necessary, have more than one CV. Having worked in Canada for 23 years and returning to the UK, I found that UK employees like square pegs in square holes and do not appreciate the cross-functionality practiced by workers in North America. At least that is how I have found it is in the engineering industry. Giving the impression that you are able to turn your hand to anything may not work to your advantage.

jenninedinburgh Sep 25th 2021 2:00 pm

Hello,

I left the UK for the US in 2016 and worked in marketing/communications. What I found is that most of the job market was (unfortunately) driven by recruitment consultants - i.e. Michael Page. I would recommend registering with both national (i.e. Michael Page) and local agencies (found via Google search with city). You also may be interested in doing contract work (usually for a day rate) which could help you to gain exposure to companies without a long term commitment to them. I did this for several years before transitioning to academia and enjoyed it as you don't really get caught up in office politics, etc. and just show up and do your job. You could search 'marketing' 'a day' and contract roles on indeed advanced search to see the types of roles on offer.

Best of luck,
Jenn

Frankie0089 Sep 25th 2021 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by jenninedinburgh (Post 13055541)
Hello,

I left the UK for the US in 2016 and worked in marketing/communications. What I found is that most of the job market was (unfortunately) driven by recruitment consultants - i.e. Michael Page. I would recommend registering with both national (i.e. Michael Page) and local agencies (found via Google search with city). You also may be interested in doing contract work (usually for a day rate) which could help you to gain exposure to companies without a long term commitment to them. I did this for several years before transitioning to academia and enjoyed it as you don't really get caught up in office politics, etc. and just show up and do your job. You could search 'marketing' 'a day' and contract roles on indeed advanced search to see the types of roles on offer.

Best of luck,
Jenn

Thank you Jenn, good advice!

Johnboyuk Sep 27th 2021 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by jenninedinburgh (Post 13055541)
Hello,

Best of luck,
Jenn

Yes, good point. These days, most employers will not touch you unless you go through an agency as it ensures that they have no liabilty for sick pay, pension, holidays, etc. if you stay at the company for any length of time. Agenices are also very instrumental in setting the rate of pay and the agency is now your employer. Unfortunately, these agencies have varying degrees of professionalism so you have to be sure who you are dealing with. I will stop short of saying that some are downright devious and many of them will try and get you for the lowest rate possible but most of us know that this is short term thinking on their part. However, good companies usually deal with good agencies and you can also find the agencies on the job sites. Often, companies deal with 'preferred' agencies so you have no choice when applying for a position. You can rarely deal with companies direct.

If you decide to work contract as a limited company, get yourself a good tax account, they will set up your company and make sure your taxes are compliant. They are usually worth every penny you pay them. As Jenn says, it gives you a chance to check out these companies and often, good workers are offered staff jobs (if you want one).