How is UK.....Really?

Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:12 am
MrA
Forum Regular

MrA is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How is UK.....Really?

We pay a lot of taxes in the U.K but it gets spent very wisely,for example the London olympic site will soon be home to one of the largest islamic landmarks in Europe when the government splashes out on a mega mosque capable of holding 10 000 people.
The U.K is thriving you do not know what you're missing!!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:41 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrA
We pay a lot of taxes in the U.K but it gets spent very wisely,for example the London olympic site will soon be home to one of the largest islamic landmarks in Europe when the government splashes out on a mega mosque capable of holding 10 000 people.
The U.K is thriving you do not know what you're missing!!
You know perfectly well that this mosque is *not* funded by the government but by an islamic group that raised the funds from its members and other donors.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 4:29 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
I am not sure what you mean by the current government having stolen the taxes. Large sums have been invested in education and the NHS - both of which had nearly been round to ground by the tories.
I find a lot of people do not understand that their taxes are used to pay for hospitals and pensions now - not put aside for their own future needs. They will be relying on future workers to pay for their healthcare and state pensions.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 4:31 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hong Konger
I have been in HK for the last 17 years. All my family are in Portsmouth UK. At some stage I am going to have to think about our whereabouts for our future HK OR UK when my son starts secondary school. Uk is foreign to me now as i have been gone for so long, is uk really bad now with all the immigrants etc.? We really miss our family in uk, me and my son that is, my hubby is from Hong Kong.

Not sure what to do i am homesick very much.

Thanks guys. :O)

For what it is worth I left the UK a mere 7 months ago for the US. Hence, I think I am still pretty current on what is happening there. The immigration 'problem' is a global thing. The world is so destabalised that people are moving all over the place right now. If you want to remain comfortable and safe then stay in HK. But if you want to be a part of history as it happens, move back the the UK.

Depsite the moaners and Mail readers, britain (again IMHO) is in a whole new phase, It is an exciting time for anyone who is not xenophobic and unafraid of change. The Uk is not what you left behind but different isn't always bad. You have been immigrants for 17 years so you may be in a better position to enjoy the new and interesting people, the politics, the whole sea change that is taking and about to take place in the 'motherland'.

Britain has been fluctuating throughout history. It is a new and exciting place to be. For me the US is a new and exciting place for many of the same reasons, but I am watching with interest. Good luck.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 7:34 am
Still Learning

KarmaLiber has a brilliant futureKarmaLiber has a brilliant futureKarmaLiber has a brilliant futureKarmaLiber has a brilliant futureKarmaLiber has a brilliant futureKarmaLiber has a brilliant future

I am not sure what you mean by the current government having stolen the taxes. Large sums have been invested in education and the NHS - both of which had nearly been round to ground by the tories.

As for the problems associated with an ageing population - that is the same everywhere.

I live in the US, where we are paying MORE taxes than we ever paid in the UK - and we get F-All for it. The cost of healthcare can be crippling - and 16% of the population have no health insurance. What is more, for many people with insurance, healthcare is no better than the NHS. Hundreds of thousands of people go bankrupt every year because they cannot pay their medical bills - and most of them did have insurance when serious illness struck.

Most people in the US get 2 weeks vacation a year if they are lucky. There is no state-mandated maternity leave - let along maternity pay. Sick days typically are taken out of vacation allowances. In most states you can be fired without any notice whatsoever.

If only people in the UK appreciated how lucky they are!
My responses to Hong Konger were just that. Yes I'm sure the US have it bad, who would want to live there ? 2 weeks holiday a year - that is not good
Hong Konger was asking about UK and what has changed in the passed 17 years, not for a country by country comparison. I'm entitlted to have an opinion and give my views to Hong konger.

You appear to be generalising about people in the UK, yep some don't appreciate what they have and expect more, some appreciate what they have etc and plenty will complain about the increase in costs over the last 17 years and what we get for it., but how does that help Hong Konger?

Old Apr 13th 2007, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KarmaLiber
Whatever problems we have here, if you keep away from solicitors, police, and anything government you can enjoy the beauty of Britain, it is warming up and winters will get warmer.

What is your gripe with solicitors and police and anything government then?!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I find a lot of people do not understand that their taxes are used to pay for hospitals and pensions now - not put aside for their own future needs. They will be relying on future workers to pay for their healthcare and state pensions.
exactly and the willing workers from overseas who pay taxes contribute to this. We will be reliant on our children and yet many moan about tax cuts families get. People sometimes need incentive to keep the population going!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 8:31 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

If only people in the UK appreciated how lucky they are!
Totally agree here Elvira. Many people are like verbal editions of the Daily Mail but if they look at their lives and see what they have instead of what they haven't got they would be much happier.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seasprite
exactly and the willing workers from overseas who pay taxes contribute to this. We will be reliant on our children and yet many moan about tax cuts families get. People sometimes need incentive to keep the population going!
Perhaps our unemployment is so high because here in th UK we need reasonably paid jobs to survive in th UK. I am not on about qualified jobs just non qualification ones that anyone can do. 'Willing workers from overseas' put a stop to that because they can afford to work for peanuts. Its not peanuts to them and they sent it back home to support their families. Wrong I say.
As for the majority of UK'ers etc emigrating to others countries, thats just the point, we are emigrating with skills that country is looking for.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezzkazz
Perhaps our unemployment is so high because here in th UK we need reasonably paid jobs to survive in th UK. I am not on about qualified jobs just non qualification ones that anyone can do. 'Willing workers from overseas' put a stop to that because they can afford to work for peanuts. Its not peanuts to them and they sent it back home to support their families. Wrong I say.
As for the majority of UK'ers etc emigrating to others countries, thats just the point, we are emigrating with skills that country is looking for.
When I last checked the unemployment rate in England was low at 2.6%
Here in France it is high at 8.6%
Old Apr 13th 2007, 10:09 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramblebush

Don't let facts get in the way of a good old xenophobic anti-immigrant rant.

G
Old Apr 13th 2007, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bramblebush
Depends how you look at it. It may be 2.5% but by what nationallity are these jobs filled.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 11:54 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzkazz
We went to Australia on a State Nominated visa because apparently certain states were desperate for trades. So what happens? Loads of Brits flock over there only to find that they are not desperate for trades at all but are actually encouraging trades to go there to keep the wages low. My husband was paid lower than the Aussie builders and was warned about it by many people so it must be a widespread practice. The more workers living there with that skill, the less demand, the lower the wage. The Aussie tradesmen feel exactly the same as we feel here - they don't like people taking their jobs.

Whilst it does annoy me on one hand that people from overseas work here for less than our own workers, and my hubby is a brickie so it could affect us, we can't have it both ways - we can move around Europe as much as we want (and many people do), so have to allow others to work here. I remember years ago when our building trade was suffering, loads of workers flocked to Germany and pinched German jobs.

What I strongly object to is if they are entitled to NHS or benefits.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 12:05 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
We went to Australia on a State Nominated visa because apparently certain states were desperate for trades. So what happens? Loads of Brits flock over there only to find that they are not desperate for trades at all but are actually encouraging trades to go there to keep the wages low. My husband was paid lower than the Aussie builders and was warned about it by many people so it must be a widespread practice. The more workers living there with that skill, the less demand, the lower the wage. The Aussie tradesmen feel exactly the same as we feel here - they don't like people taking their jobs.

Whilst it does annoy me on one hand that people from overseas work here for less than our own workers, and my hubby is a brickie so it could affect us, we can't have it both ways - we can move around Europe as much as we want (and many people do), so have to allow others to work here. I remember years ago when our building trade was suffering, loads of workers flocked to Germany and pinched German jobs.

All true and i guess all of us who are skilled have to get used to the global economy ,and its a blessing we have the choice to go and work and try new ways of life .
Old Apr 13th 2007, 12:45 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
.............we can't have it both ways - we can move around Europe as much as we want (and many people do), so have to allow others to work here. I remember years ago when our building trade was suffering, loads of workers flocked to Germany and pinched German jobs.

Why would you object to that? They pay their taxes and NI contributions like everyone else. If you moved to a European country, you would be allowed to use their services and get the same benefits as the locals.

In fact, even if you just go on holiday within the EU, you can use their health services (you need to get a entitlement form beforehand - I believe it is available from the post office).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.